Cody Ford entire game vs Alabama video -- quite impressive

Logic

16 hours ago, Logic said:

I am officially in the "watch every highlight of Bills draft picks I can get my hands on" part of the offseason.

I wondered about Cody Ford's pass blocking, which I have read is elite. He played in the Big 12, and lots of fans will tell you that that means he wasn't tested often against great pass rushers. Well, here's a an entire game of his against the best defense in college football. He's playing against a few guys that will likely be NFL players rather than grocery baggers. How does he do?

Well...as to this game...the Sooners get down early in this one and have to pass almost exclusively. As such, there aren't a lot of run blocking reps to watch. But the pass blocking? Wow. Ford makes it look effortless. I counted maybe 3 or 4 instances of Ford getting beat by his man in this entire video. The rest of the time? He pretty much just makes it look easy. He takes great angles, manipulates defenders easily, uses his hands well, rarely gets beat around the edge, doesn't often get bull-rushed, and what I've read seems true: If he gets his hands squarely on you, school's out.

This was a treat to watch, and really made me feel good about what should be vastly improved protection in front of Allen. The Bills haven't had a truly good right tackle in what seems like forever. Ford looks like he may finally be that guy.

The sack is not Ford's fault at all. He had Jennings blocked. Murray just happened to run within reach of Jennings.

What is great about that film is that, as a RT,  Ford (#74) went up against two 2020 first rounders - DT Raekwon Davis (#99) and OLB Anfernee Jennings (#33) - and more than held his own. The plays at the 7:20 mark and 10 minute mark are particularly eye opening. One can see the guard pedigree as well - the way Ford goes across the formation reminded me of a pulling Richie Incognito on the latter's best day. Excited. 

I think Ed Oliver and Ford will bring out the best in each other. Irresistable force against an Immovable object!

Edited by IgotBILLStopay
  • Thank you (+1) 1

a guy that has good technique but needs to beef up his muscle is a guy who can be an all pro in three years more easily than a physical freak with no technique. i hope he can get stronger but i am confident he will be adequate until then.

I came away not as impressed as I thought I would be. Against NFL DEs and OLBs I don’t know that his strength will hold up. He seems like he is barely hanging on after the initial punch from the defender. That said, I was impressed by his focus, awareness, and his ability to position himself between the defender and his QB in the most optimal way. He is someone we can hope to turn into a mediocre starting RT, which is still a major upgrade from having the worst starting RT. There have been so many times the last 2 seasons where the right side of our line looked completely lost and clueless.