Howard Stern Comes Again

I held on to Howard for a while but dealing with Sirius was extremely annoying. Once Eric the actor passed and Beat stopped showing up regularly the show didn’t seem worth the hassle anymore. 

Im considering giving it another shot. 

On 5/15/2019 at 11:21 AM, dpberr said:

I personally never understood his appeal but I admire his keen business sense.  He understood how to modify his product according to the sensibilities of the era and he wasn't afraid to do so.  If he tried even 25% of the stuff he did on his early 90s "Morton Downey Jr. era" television show today, the culture cops would make sure nobody would ever see or here from him ever again.  It's likely the internet required him to change too as his access to the adult film industry and culture was no longer special or unique.  

I think all the atonement talk is just weathervane marketing.  He's telling everyone what they want to hear.  

It is funny to think that back then, it was commonplace and expected to turn the televison on and see people brawling on the sets of Jerry Springer, Downey Jr. or Geraldo.  

Yup.  There was a time and place where he fit and filled a void but those days are long gone.

Seinfeld wouldn’t last two episodes in today’s world full of whiners.

3 hours ago, BillsFanNC said:

Late again. Howard claims he has taken himself out of decision process and the powers that be have wanted to fire Benjy years ago for chronic lateness.

I wonder if this Benjy being scolded for being late is schtick(it seems to come up on air a couple of times a year)?  If it is, it is boring and not funny radio.  If it is legit, why hasn't he been fired yet?  A 12 hour work week...what a great gig for him.

PS Benjy sucks

On 5/16/2019 at 7:36 AM, Metal Man said:

Has anyone gotten through a copy of this book yet?

The amazon reviews are pretty brutal. The main consensus being that it is for the most part literally just a collection of interview transcripts.

I thought they were pretty upfront about that...least the WAPO article I posted was pretty clear that is what it was.

Tony Kornheiser did this for two books..literally just reprints of his Style column from the Sunday Style section in the Post. He couldn't believe people bought them either! And I bought both!!!!!

Least he was honest..the 2nd book of columns was titled "I'm Back for more Cash"..cause ya can't take 200 newspapers into the bathroom!

On 5/15/2019 at 2:21 PM, dpberr said:

I personally never understood his appeal but I admire his keen business sense.  He understood how to modify his product according to the sensibilities of the era and he wasn't afraid to do so.  If he tried even 25% of the stuff he did on his early 90s "Morton Downey Jr. era" television show today, the culture cops would make sure nobody would ever see or here from him ever again.  It's likely the internet required him to change too as his access to the adult film industry and culture was no longer special or unique.  

I think all the atonement talk is just weathervane marketing.  He's telling everyone what they want to hear.  

It is funny to think that back then, it was commonplace and expected to turn the televison on and see people brawling on the sets of Jerry Springer, Downey Jr. or Geraldo.  

Wait, they no longer have brawls on Jerry Springer?  Is he on anymore?  

2 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

SMH at Jackie Puppet ;)

and as mentioned the Fred drop of Jackie laughter during horrible news stories....

a fire in the African country of Mali today killed 235 orphans (cue in Jackie)....

"guys, i beg of you, do not make a mockery of this...."  as he pleads for help in his marital woes...

I haven't listened to him in a while.

I went to the same high school (South Side High Rockville Centre NY) as him.  I was class of 1971, he was class of 1972.  I never saw him, not even in the hallways.  Another famous graduate of South Side is Amy Schumer, who was there many years later.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

I thought they were pretty upfront about that...least the WAPO article I posted was pretty clear that is what it was.

I think people were hoping for a little more substance around the transcripts, like some insight and thoughts mixed in with the actual interview.

I have the book now. It isn't as bad as the reviews were making it out to be. There is a page or two before each interview with some introspection but after that it is just transcripts of the actual interview.

He definitely was up front about what it was but I know I was hoping there would be a little more content covering some of his experiences and life since the end of his last book.

The book is entertaining though despite having heard all the interviews already on the radio. The only thing that bugs me is he craps on the early part of his career and his older books. I get that he is happy to have evolved but he wouldn't have gotten to that spot without being the person he was before so he shouldn't be so quick to dismiss it.

• Like (+1) 1

The book is entertaining though despite having heard all the interviews already on the radio. The only thing that bugs me is he craps on the early part of his career and his older books. I get that he is happy to have evolved but he wouldn't have gotten to that spot without being the person he was before so he shouldn't be so quick to dismiss it.

IMO that makes him a phony.  A rich phony, but he owes his entire career to that time period.  They even made a surprisingly pretty decent movie with real actors around his Private Parts book.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/16/2019 at 7:36 AM, Metal Man said:

Has anyone gotten through a copy of this book yet?

The amazon reviews are pretty brutal. The main consensus being that it is for the most part literally just a collection of interview transcripts.

I didn't quite realize this when I pre-ordered it, was definitely surprised when I opened it and saw mostly transcripts.  Whatever, I'm sure it'll still be a breezy read at some point (I also may have drunk ordered The Dirt, so I'm in the middle of that book at the moment ?)

I still have Sirius (have since the beginning) and while I do throw on Howard, it's definitely not an everyday thing. I still love his interviews, very few better than Howard with the long, in-depth conversations.  It's obvious the guy cares about his job, his guests and does the research!

But it definitely ain't the same without Artie - that guy was funny as hell.  And too much of Benjy and some of the other annoying staff / character - when I hear Mary Ann from Brooklyn, I immediately change the channel.

6 hours ago, dpberr said:

IMO that makes him a phony.  A rich phony, but he owes his entire career to that time period.  They even made a surprisingly pretty decent movie with real actors around his Private Parts book.  

He's been a phony from the beginning.  All entertainers are phonies.  He's an entertainer.  He's entertained.  He's made money.  Goal achieved. He just wants more money now.  Shouldn't be held against him.  It's been who he is from day one ... an entertainer who does whatever he has to do to make more money.

• Haha (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Heitz said:

I didn't quite realize this when I pre-ordered it, was definitely surprised when I opened it and saw mostly transcripts.  Whatever, I'm sure it'll still be a breezy read at some point (I also may have drunk ordered The Dirt, so I'm in the middle of that book at the moment ?)

I still have Sirius (have since the beginning) and while I do throw on Howard, it's definitely not an everyday thing. I still love his interviews, very few better than Howard with the long, in-depth conversations.  It's obvious the guy cares about his job, his guests and does the research!

But it definitely ain't the same without Artie - that guy was funny as hell.  And too much of Benjy and some of the other annoying staff / character - when I hear Mary Ann from Brooklyn, I immediately change the channel.

It has lost a lot since Artie for sure. Those years were Howard's best IMHO.

I still listen every day. I have an hour commute to work so it is a good time burner. I listen on demand a day or so late though which is nice because anytime there are segments I don't like or that are annoying me I can skip over them.

The Dirt is fantastic, loved that book.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/15/2019 at 12:09 PM, row_33 said:

Jackie leaving hurt bad

Artie keep it alive

when Artie ruined himself it took a nosedive and hasn’t pulled out of it

Funny, I hated Jackie and found the show back then barely listenable. All the clapping and ranting about being number one in markets. What a borefest. It had its moments but it was juvenile. 

Artie was excellent. I miss him and wish they played more "Best of" with him on it. But clearly the edict is not to do that. I don't think that's anything other than Howard's guilt at not helping him out more than he could have. He's aluded to carrying a lot of guilt for not being a better friend to the addict he worked with every day. 

It took me a while to enjoy the show again after Artie left. But I do like it still. It's got fewer belly laughs but it's still the funniest show out there and guys like Brent, Memet, Steve, Shuli add a good element of hijinks that the old folks (Howard, Fred, Robin. etc) can have fun with. And the interviews are 1000x better now. 

The book promo is painful but it will end soon. 

Edited by John Adams
  • Like (+1) 1

------------------------------------------------

This interview wasn’t for you - it was for his “new” listeners brought to the show by his new book.

Get used to it. Everything is about Howard’s new listeners now...

:(

On 5/22/2019 at 5:02 PM, Heitz said:

This is such a great book. When you imagine being a rockstar, you imagine yourself in Motley Crue in their heyday. Sex, drugs, and rock and roll to the max. I followed up The Dirt with Nikki Sixx's Heroin Diaries, which I also highly recommend. A much different read, but just as good.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1