BillsFanNC

Howard Stern Comes Again

5 hours ago, BillsFanNC said:

TWUS I view a little differently,  it seemed to me that under the old format it was a way for annoying staffers like Benjy to crowbar themselves on and create a controversy which would in turn lead to more airtime with Howard. 

I think the current format allows Gary to really put his encyclopedic show knowledge on display. John Hein, who granted is pretty dry and boring,  does manage to keep the show on point and moving along well. I also like some of the lower profile celebrities they have on.

Takei is still on the show, Kinison is dead and Richard Simmons is a recluse. I dont know what Gilbert did to get dropped as a regular, but I never particularly enjoyed him anyway. I also thought he had Joan Rivers on way too much.

I was just citing examples of the great type of guests he used to have on.  I’m sure they could have been replaced with equally good guests.  

2 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Yeah. I find it a weird coincidence that he allegedly decided to ask Robin Williams for forgiveness literally the day before he died. 

“Robin (Quivers)....I was just about to write a letter to (whoever died when they were off the air)”

Has anyone gotten through a copy of this book yet?

The amazon reviews are pretty brutal. The main consensus being that it is for the most part literally just a collection of interview transcripts.

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, row_33 said:

Jackie leaving hurt bad

Artie keep it alive

when Artie ruined himself it took a nosedive and hasn’t pulled out of it

I thought that Artie was 10x funnier than Jackie. Jmo.

The best part of the show were people like Crazy Alice and Elegant Elliot Offen. The best interview I ever heard was the nut who kept saying, "Oprah Winfrey, ***** woman of the south." The show was the greatest show ever in those days. Now, the show consists of Robin whining about President Trump and mostly boring guests.

That said, the phone calls are still great.

Edited by Bill from NYC

Howard is hit and miss but I love having an alternative to the local political whining and shilling 

Nobody here commenting here about his potty mouth.  Please!

12 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

I thought that Artie was 10x funnier than Jackie. Jmo.

Same here.  I don't get the Jackie love.  

• Like (+1) 1

Richard was the last strong addition 

2 minutes ago, BillsFanNC said:

Hopefully they will FINALLY fire Benjy this time!

What happened?  Have not listened today. 

1 minute ago, LabattBlue said:

What happened?  Have not listened today. 

Late again. Howard claims he has taken himself out of decision process and the powers that be have wanted to fire Benjy years ago for chronic lateness.

Just now, RaoulDuke79 said:

He doesn't even look like  a human being anymore. The last mugshot looks like something out of a Rob Zombie movie. 

Artie-Lange.jpg?resize=240,300&ssl=1

Nice profile there

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

that's too bad.  he'll always be a train wreck.  i never like his stand up act, but he was an outstanding co-host on that show. 

On 5/16/2019 at 9:57 PM, row_33 said:

Richard was the last strong addition 

the writer chris isn't bad.

I held on to Howard for a while but dealing with Sirius was extremely annoying. Once Eric the actor passed and Beat stopped showing up regularly the show didn’t seem worth the hassle anymore. 

Im considering giving it another shot. 

On 5/15/2019 at 11:21 AM, dpberr said:

I personally never understood his appeal but I admire his keen business sense.  He understood how to modify his product according to the sensibilities of the era and he wasn't afraid to do so.  If he tried even 25% of the stuff he did on his early 90s "Morton Downey Jr. era" television show today, the culture cops would make sure nobody would ever see or here from him ever again.  It's likely the internet required him to change too as his access to the adult film industry and culture was no longer special or unique.  

I think all the atonement talk is just weathervane marketing.  He's telling everyone what they want to hear.  

It is funny to think that back then, it was commonplace and expected to turn the televison on and see people brawling on the sets of Jerry Springer, Downey Jr. or Geraldo.  

Yup.  There was a time and place where he fit and filled a void but those days are long gone.

Seinfeld wouldn’t last two episodes in today’s world full of whiners.

3 hours ago, BillsFanNC said:

Late again. Howard claims he has taken himself out of decision process and the powers that be have wanted to fire Benjy years ago for chronic lateness.

I wonder if this Benjy being scolded for being late is schtick(it seems to come up on air a couple of times a year)?  If it is, it is boring and not funny radio.  If it is legit, why hasn't he been fired yet?  A 12 hour work week...what a great gig for him.

PS Benjy sucks

On 5/14/2019 at 11:55 PM, row_33 said:

Jackie Puppet forever

eff Timmy

SMH at Jackie Puppet ;)

• Haha (+1) 1

On 5/16/2019 at 7:36 AM, Metal Man said:

Has anyone gotten through a copy of this book yet?

The amazon reviews are pretty brutal. The main consensus being that it is for the most part literally just a collection of interview transcripts.

I thought they were pretty upfront about that...least the WAPO article I posted was pretty clear that is what it was.

Tony Kornheiser did this for two books..literally just reprints of his Style column from the Sunday Style section in the Post. He couldn't believe people bought them either! And I bought both!!!!!

Least he was honest..the 2nd book of columns was titled "I'm Back for more Cash"..cause ya can't take 200 newspapers into the bathroom!

On 5/15/2019 at 2:21 PM, dpberr said:

I personally never understood his appeal but I admire his keen business sense.  He understood how to modify his product according to the sensibilities of the era and he wasn't afraid to do so.  If he tried even 25% of the stuff he did on his early 90s "Morton Downey Jr. era" television show today, the culture cops would make sure nobody would ever see or here from him ever again.  It's likely the internet required him to change too as his access to the adult film industry and culture was no longer special or unique.  

I think all the atonement talk is just weathervane marketing.  He's telling everyone what they want to hear.  

It is funny to think that back then, it was commonplace and expected to turn the televison on and see people brawling on the sets of Jerry Springer, Downey Jr. or Geraldo.  

Wait, they no longer have brawls on Jerry Springer?  Is he on anymore?  

2 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

SMH at Jackie Puppet ;)

and as mentioned the Fred drop of Jackie laughter during horrible news stories....

a fire in the African country of Mali today killed 235 orphans (cue in Jackie)....

"guys, i beg of you, do not make a mockery of this...."  as he pleads for help in his marital woes...

I haven't listened to him in a while.

I went to the same high school (South Side High Rockville Centre NY) as him.  I was class of 1971, he was class of 1972.  I never saw him, not even in the hallways.  Another famous graduate of South Side is Amy Schumer, who was there many years later.  

• Thanks! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

I thought they were pretty upfront about that...least the WAPO article I posted was pretty clear that is what it was.

I think people were hoping for a little more substance around the transcripts, like some insight and thoughts mixed in with the actual interview.

I have the book now. It isn't as bad as the reviews were making it out to be. There is a page or two before each interview with some introspection but after that it is just transcripts of the actual interview.

He definitely was up front about what it was but I know I was hoping there would be a little more content covering some of his experiences and life since the end of his last book.

The book is entertaining though despite having heard all the interviews already on the radio. The only thing that bugs me is he craps on the early part of his career and his older books. I get that he is happy to have evolved but he wouldn't have gotten to that spot without being the person he was before so he shouldn't be so quick to dismiss it.

• Like (+1) 1

The book is entertaining though despite having heard all the interviews already on the radio. The only thing that bugs me is he craps on the early part of his career and his older books. I get that he is happy to have evolved but he wouldn't have gotten to that spot without being the person he was before so he shouldn't be so quick to dismiss it.

IMO that makes him a phony.  A rich phony, but he owes his entire career to that time period.  They even made a surprisingly pretty decent movie with real actors around his Private Parts book.  

• Like (+1) 1