Howard Stern Comes Again

4 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

There is a happy medium. Even look at how the wrap up show was neutered.  At one time the staff could go on the show and it was great.  Then Howie put his foot down, and banned them all from going on.  Now the show is boring beyond belief. 

Repeat guests like Richard Simmons, Gilbert Gottfried, George Takei, Sam Kinison, and many others made for great radio.  Now who do you get on the guest couch? ???

TWUS I view a little differently,  it seemed to me that under the old format it was a way for annoying staffers like Benjy to crowbar themselves on and create a controversy which would in turn lead to more airtime with Howard. 

I think the current format allows Gary to really put his encyclopedic show knowledge on display. John Hein, who granted is pretty dry and boring,  does manage to keep the show on point and moving along well. I also like some of the lower profile celebrities they have on.

Takei is still on the show, Kinison is dead and Richard Simmons is a recluse. I dont know what Gilbert did to get dropped as a regular, but I never particularly enjoyed him anyway. I also thought he had Joan Rivers on way too much.

I personally never understood his appeal but I admire his keen business sense.  He understood how to modify his product according to the sensibilities of the era and he wasn't afraid to do so.  If he tried even 25% of the stuff he did on his early 90s "Morton Downey Jr. era" television show today, the culture cops would make sure nobody would ever see or here from him ever again.  It's likely the internet required him to change too as his access to the adult film industry and culture was no longer special or unique.  

I think all the atonement talk is just weathervane marketing.  He's telling everyone what they want to hear.  

It is funny to think that back then, it was commonplace and expected to turn the televison on and see people brawling on the sets of Jerry Springer, Downey Jr. or Geraldo.  

Edited by dpberr
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, BillsFanNC said:

TWUS I view a little differently,  it seemed to me that under the old format it was a way for annoying staffers like Benjy to crowbar themselves on and create a controversy which would in turn lead to more airtime with Howard. 

I think the current format allows Gary to really put his encyclopedic show knowledge on display. John Hein, who granted is pretty dry and boring,  does manage to keep the show on point and moving along well. I also like some of the lower profile celebrities they have on.

Takei is still on the show, Kinison is dead and Richard Simmons is a recluse. I dont know what Gilbert did to get dropped as a regular, but I never particularly enjoyed him anyway. I also thought he had Joan Rivers on way too much.

I was just citing examples of the great type of guests he used to have on.  I’m sure they could have been replaced with equally good guests.  

2 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Yeah. I find it a weird coincidence that he allegedly decided to ask Robin Williams for forgiveness literally the day before he died. 

“Robin (Quivers)....I was just about to write a letter to (whoever died when they were off the air)”

Has anyone gotten through a copy of this book yet?

The amazon reviews are pretty brutal. The main consensus being that it is for the most part literally just a collection of interview transcripts.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, row_33 said:

Jackie leaving hurt bad

Artie keep it alive

when Artie ruined himself it took a nosedive and hasn’t pulled out of it

I thought that Artie was 10x funnier than Jackie. Jmo.

The best part of the show were people like Crazy Alice and Elegant Elliot Offen. The best interview I ever heard was the nut who kept saying, "Oprah Winfrey, ***** woman of the south." The show was the greatest show ever in those days. Now, the show consists of Robin whining about President Trump and mostly boring guests.

That said, the phone calls are still great.

Edited by Bill from NYC

1 minute ago, LabattBlue said:

What happened?  Have not listened today. 

Late again. Howard claims he has taken himself out of decision process and the powers that be have wanted to fire Benjy years ago for chronic lateness.