Beerball???

14 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I don't know what people you were hanging out with in Brockport, cuz every party I crashed had a real keg.  

sure it was a pre-game thing! ( although we did not call it pregaming back then)

We had a home kegerator  in our apartment last 3 years I was in school( i had two Senior years!), so never any beerballs! $19.99 for a Genny half, and we were close to Pittsburgh.

22 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

sure it was a pre-game thing! ( although we did not call it pregaming back then)

We had a home kegerator  in our apartment last 3 years I was in school( i had two Senior years!), so never any beerballs! $19.99 for a Genny half, and we were close to Pittsburgh.

My Friday night "trips" to Brockport usually ended with a view of the flowing colors of the sunrise while driving back to Rochester.  

On 5/15/2019 at 8:30 AM, ExiledInIllinois said:

Kegs bit heavy!  1/4 keg?

Unfortunately the old guy is dead (neighbor across the street where we lived)... I could of swore he said "beerball."

Which... Would have been prior to 1973 @ Rockpile.  You sure they didn't make them earlier?

Did you read the article?

The original beerballs were made by the F.X. Matt (Saranac) Brewing Co. in Utica, starting around 1976. It took a few years, but rival breweries like Coors and Genesee jumped in. By the 1980s, the beerball craze had swept the nation.

2 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

Did you read the article?

The original beerballs were made by the F.X. Matt (Saranac) Brewing Co. in Utica, starting around 1976. It took a few years, but rival breweries like Coors and Genesee jumped in. By the 1980s, the beerball craze had swept the nation.

Yes.  I am doubting what the old guy said to me.  He had to mean something else. A 1/4 keg... Couldn't have been a "beerball."

He claimed he brought beerballs into the Rockpile.  That can't be right.  First year at Rich was 1973.

And the definitive answer on who really invented it was Matt's??

A 1/4 keg is roughly only 2+ gallons more. Still pretty heavy!  ~5 gallon beeball will weigh in @ approximately 40 pounds of liquid... A ~7 gallon 1/4 keg will come in a roughly 56 pounds... That's using the estimate that 1 gallon of water is equal to 8 pounds. Beer has to be close in weight.

Still... Toting 40-60 pounds of beer (not including vessel it's in) into a stadium is still sort of ridiculous.  I guess I can't blame them from banning such huge quantities.  What will people do next!

On 5/18/2019 at 8:36 AM, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yes.  I am doubting what the old guy said to me.  He had to mean something else. A 1/4 keg... Couldn't have been a "beerball."

He claimed he brought beerballs into the Rockpile.  That can't be right.  First year at Rich was 1973.

And the definitive answer on who really invented it was Matt's??

A 1/4 keg is roughly only 2+ gallons more. Still pretty heavy!  ~5 gallon beeball will weigh in @ approximately 40 pounds of liquid... A ~7 gallon 1/4 keg will come in a roughly 56 pounds... That's using the estimate that 1 gallon of water is equal to 8 pounds. Beer has to be close in weight.

Still... Toting 40-60 pounds of beer (not including vessel it's in) into a stadium is still sort of ridiculous.  I guess I can't blame them from banning such huge quantities.  What will people do next!

Dizzy bat?