Could 2013 Have Been The Worst Ever Draft for QB's ??

A couple obvious morals to the story:

1. Nobody knows anything when it comes to the draft.  Tom Brady was pick number 199 in the sixth round; the Patriots weren't smarter than anyone else, just luckier.  Johnny Unitas (look him up kids -- he was pretty good) signed with the Colts as a free agent.  But Jamarcus Russell was an overall #1 and even Bill Walsh thought Trent Edwards was a keeper.  That's why I stopped reading most pre-draft expert analysis.
  2. Notwithstanding nobody knows anything, drafting for need vs. taking a better player is a mistake.  And if you can't tell who's a better player you're doomed anyway.
  3. A lot of guys simply can't play QB in the NFL.

2 hours ago, SoTier said:

We don't know that that's actually true since both McDermott and Beane were hired while Brandon was still in control of the team, and they haven't won anything yet with players they've brought in.   I want to see real success on the field, ie double digit regular season wins and playoff appearances more than once every two decades, before I'm willing to say that the current FO is actually better than what the Bills had under Ralph Wilson and Russ Brandon.

While Brandon was still employed by the Buffalo Bills with these new owners, AFAIK Brandon was promoted to President, managing partner of the Bills, president of the Sabres, Americans, Bandits. After the Rex Ryan firing, he was no involved in the football side. 

While I do agree that we need to see some real winning... like beating the crap out of the Patriots 2x and taking the division to be truly out of two decades of losing hell. 

I haven't felt this way about the team since the Marv Levy/ Bill Polian days in 1987 when you could see things all coming together. Even though the team only finished 7-8 that year you could see we had the franchise QB in Kelly and a really good receiver in Reed. Plus the defense was already looking better at near top ten and with that trade at Halloween to get Biscuit... 

This team is very close to competing with the best in the NFL as they already had the #1 pass defense last season and just need to shore up the run defense. The offense just needs to work things out as I'm not yet convinced that Bills OC Daboll is the right OC to build a top NFL offense. We will find out this season. 

23 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

Yes, it was the worst QB year ever. And we had an outgoing, in over his head, GM who telegraphed his desire to get the Bills a franchise QB as his last act before retiring.

You can't make this Billsey stuff up.

Nix deferred on the decision to take a QB high in 3 drafts (2010-12) which represented the worst decision of his tenure.  Sure, 2010 may not have been a good year either, but it was inexcusable in '11 and '12 to leave Day 1 or 2 without a top rated QB.  Ryan Fitzpatrick, while a good story, had not demonstrated the caliber of play in 6-7 seasons to warrant being a long term option.  Yet, Buddy paraded himself around as a good talent evaluator, never acknowledging he needed more at the position. 

It's amazing that Buffalo found themselves picking QBs in two of the worst years in the past 15 years to find a QB.  It's why you don't delay picking one when the opportunity presents itself. 

21 hours ago, TroutDog said:

EJ was picked by Buddy Nix who was GM at the time.

This is one of the most carefully constructed and tightly held narratives I've ever seen on this board.  I have no doubt Brandon had already decided Whaley (or Whales as ole' Russ called him) would succeed a 73 year old GM.  And there's no way on God's green earth that the outgoing guy would pick his successor's QB for him.  Anyone who's worked in the corporate world knows that doesn't happen. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

In this century I'd go with the 2007 draft as the worst, but not by much. Then 2013 draft. Just awful.

Including camp & preseason,  4 of the QBs taken in 2007 have worn a Bills uniform at some point in their careers.  

Nowadays our backup QB is one of the career backups taken in the 2013 draft, which produced a bunch of 2nd & 3rd stringers but no long term starters.