Could 2013 Have Been The Worst Ever Draft for QB's ??

We all know that 1983 was considered one of the best yrs for QB's drafted that went on to succeed in the NFL with Elway, Marino & Kelly & then there is the 2004 draft which was pretty good too Eli, Rivers, Rothlesburger, Losman, well 3 out of 4 ain't bad !! But could 2013 be the worst draft class ever in the NFL for QB's ?? 

As we all know many of the choices while Doug Whaley was our GM weren't very good ones & Beane & company recognized that & has cleared the slate of all the Whaley blunders from the terrible contracts that hung the club with bad debt to player production & added plenty of cap room as to get good players in on a more well thought out plan as far as contracts go ! Not to mention getting rid of some over rated players !! 

Whaley didn't completely screw up all his picks he had a few like Robert Woods that was a good player but not used correctly & some others that their names escape me right now that didn't do terrible while here but over all he didn't draft well to say the least ...

I for one looking back at the 2013 draft like you all wondered why they reached for EJ in the 1st round mainly because i thought there was better value in the later rounds weather it be EJ or another QB like Landry, Barkey, or the many others drafted that year but i'm here to tell you it's a good thing that i'm not a GM in the NFL because i was terribly wrong that year when it came to who i thought would be a really good QB .

Glennon came out & made a splash at first in Tampa Bay but flared out quickly, after that Barkley i thought would do good things in Philly but wound up as a back up for many teams & showed well for the Bills in his one game & i hope if needed he can do more of the same but didn't do a lot at any of his other stops in the league ! 

For the most part when EJ first took the field & showed flashes of his talent & mostly him being a great team guy & his enthusiasm for being a Bill i was in hopes that with the correct coaching ? he could over come his deficiency's at the position & become our guy & that Whaley saw something in him that we as fans didn't but we all know how that turned out thanks in part t St. Doug's great coach acumen .

But i read a article that tells just how bad 2013 was for QB's in that draft & i couldn't believe it most of those drafted that year are either back ups, looking for work, never played a NFL game & have been out of the NFL for a while which really surprised me . I think given who & how many were drafted & what they are doing now you could say that 2013 was among one of if not the worst draft class for QB's maybe ever in the NFL & if not please let me know if there was one worse than this .

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/05/13/ej-manuel-geno-smith-moves-a-reminder-of-the-weak-2013-draft-class/

Just now, T master said:

We all know that 1983 was considered one of the best yrs for QB's drafted that went on to succeed in the NFL with Elway, Marino & Kelly & then there is the 2004 draft which was pretty good too Eli, Rivers, Rothlesburger, Losman, well 3 out of 4 ain't bad !! But could 2013 be the worst draft class ever in the NFL for QB's ?? 

As we all know many of the choices while Doug Whaley was our GM weren't very good ones & Beane & company recognized that & has cleared the slate of all the Whaley blunders from the terrible contracts that hung the club with bad debt to player production & added plenty of cap room as to get good players in on a more well thought out plan as far as contracts go ! Not to mention getting rid of some over rated players !! 

Whaley didn't completely screw up all his picks he had a few like Robert Woods that was a good player but not used correctly & some others that their names escape me right now that didn't do terrible while here but over all he didn't draft well to say the least ...

I for one looking back at the 2013 draft like you all wondered why they reached for EJ in the 1st round mainly because i thought there was better value in the later rounds weather it be EJ or another QB like Landry, Barkey, or the many others drafted that year but i'm here to tell you it's a good thing that i'm not a GM in the NFL because i was terribly wrong that year when it came to who i thought would be a really good QB .

Glennon came out & made a splash at first in Tampa Bay but flared out quickly, after that Barkley i thought would do good things in Philly but wound up as a back up for many teams & showed well for the Bills in his one game & i hope if needed he can do more of the same but didn't do a lot at any of his other stops in the league ! 

For the most part when EJ first took the field & showed flashes of his talent & mostly him being a great team guy & his enthusiasm for being a Bill i was in hopes that with the correct coaching ? he could over come his deficiency's at the position & become our guy & that Whaley saw something in him that we as fans didn't but we all know how that turned out thanks in part t St. Doug's great coach acumen .

But i read a article that tells just how bad 2013 was for QB's in that draft & i couldn't believe it most of those drafted that year are either back ups, looking for work, never played a NFL game & have been out of the NFL for a while which really surprised me . I think given who & how many were drafted & what they are doing now you could say that 2013 was among one of if not the worst draft class for QB's maybe ever in the NFL & if not please let me know if there was one worse than this .

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/05/13/ej-manuel-geno-smith-moves-a-reminder-of-the-weak-2013-draft-class/

Yes, it was the worst QB year ever. And we had an outgoing, in over his head, GM who telegraphed his desire to get the Bills a franchise QB as his last act before retiring.

You can't make this Billsey stuff up.

• Like (+1) 3

I wrote this on another Bills board on New Year's Day 2013, it wasn't that hard to know unless your name is Nix or Whaley:

What if this draft is similar to 2007, 2002 or even 1996?

Just because the last 2 drafts have been deep in QBs, doesn't mean this year's is. Some drafts produce no viable QBs. Just look at these 3 drafts-any team in the position the Bills are in now was screwed. We may be screwed by Buddy Nix's inaction in finding a QB the last 2 drafts. Just because the Bills need a QB, doesn't mean they'll find one in the draft. Here are the QBs taken with the round in the 2007, 2002 & 1996 drafts.
2007: Russell(1), Quinn(1), Kolb(2), Beck(2), Stanton(2), Edwards(3), Rowe(5), T. Smith(5), J. Palmer(6), Thigpen(7). Kolb may have been the best of this sorry group, Matt Moore was signed as a UFA with the Cowboys & was better than any of the QBs drafted. None are with the team that drafted/signed him. 
2002: Carr(1), Harrington(1), Ramsey(1), J. McCown(3), Garrard(4), Davey(4), Fasani(5),Kittner(5), Doman(5), Nall(5), O'Sullivan(6), Burford(7), Kelly(7), Curry (WR-7), Pate(7). David Garrard in the 4th round was the best in this group, Lions' backup Hill was undrafted that year.
1996: Banks(2), Hoying(3), Lewis(4), Kanell(4), Fischer(6), Cauley(6), Stark(7), Wachholtz(7). This group was so bad that no team drafted a QB in the 1st round.

I then replied to someone who said then take one in the 2nd round instead of the 1st (In hindsight, my reply is tainted by my citing Shanahan's wisdom for waiting 3 years to get RGIII) :  
But if this year turns into another year like I mentioned, there might not be a QB worth taking in any round-it happens some draft classes, I've cited 3 years where nobody found a QB. They'll pick one early, but he could end up being a disaster in camp. They may not get the answer this year plus Vick is done already and SF may get more for Smith than Buddy's willing to match. Like it or not, the best answer for next season might just end up being Fitzpatrick. It took Shanahan 3 seasons before he drafted a QB. When you pick by position you reach & can get burned very easily. We're 0 for 4 with 2nd round QBs. Now it's a small sample & it's been a long time since we took one, but the results were not good: 1995: Todd Collins; 1982: Matt Kofler; 1980: Gene Bradley; 1970: Dennis Shaw. You can't just get a 2nd round QB like cable on demand.

Edited by Albany,n.y.
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, T master said:

One could make an argument that 2007 was worse. Especially with a QB going #1 and being a colossal bust. 2010 was pretty bad too without a single pro bowl QB (Bradford went #1). And for the young 'uns here, check out the 1996 draft. Probably will rival 2007 and 2013.

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

One could make an argument that 2007 was worse. Especially with a QB going #1 and being a colossal bust. 2010 was pretty bad too without a single pro bowl QB (Bradford went #1). And for the young 'uns here, check out the 1996 draft. Probably will rival 2007 and 2013.

But, but, he could throw the ball 60 yards from his knees. Guess that's why there isn't throw the ball from your knees station at the combine.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

Yes, it was the worst QB year ever. And we had an outgoing, in over his head, GM who telegraphed his desire to get the Bills a franchise QB as his last act before retiring.

In this century, I would have to give the nod to 2007.  #1 overall Jabustus Russell, the other 1st round QB Brady Quinn no good, 3 poor to mediocre QB in the 2nd round and Trentative Edwards in the 3rd.

The rest is right on

• Like (+1) 6

4 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

....and the scarier thought is that Hibernatin' Buddy had Genome Smith as his #1 guy......interview and workout changed that to EJ as 2nd fiddle.....draft or "Hee-Haw"??.

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 1

I get that some people are pointing out that 2007 was bad also but how could it be WORSE than 2013??  I mean, Trent Edwards alone had a better career than any of the QB's from the 2013 class.  And as others have mentioned, 2013 wasn't just the worst draft for QB's ever, it was the worst draft ever period.  And what's more, we knew it at the time.  A guy projected to be a solid RT went first overall.

Just now, metzelaars_lives said:

I get that some people are pointing out that 2007 was bad also but how could it be WORSE than 2013??  I mean, Trent Edwards alone had a better career than any of the QB's from the 2013 class.  And as others have mentioned, 2013 wasn't just the worst draft for QB's ever, it was the worst draft ever period.  And what's more, we knew it at the time.  A guy projected to be a solid RT went first overall.

Fisher after a slow start has actually been a solid LT. But I agree it was a pretty atrocious draft class. 

I never wanted EJ.  A good example of a high character guy that simply was not good enough for the position.  Plenty of arm chair GMs in Buffalo wanted Nassib.  Hell when he fell past the third round I was saying they should draft him and let him and EJ compete.  Hindsight is amazing isn't it.  If you are going to criticize at least be willing to put your opinions out there ahead of time and own up to your mistakes.  

Mine - I thought TT was good enough and if he makes two more completions in that Jax game(terrible overthrow in end-zone), he would have been the starter last year.  But just not turning the ball over is not good enough in today's NFL

While Buddy Nix was still the Bills GM in 2013. It was Doug Whaley who personally went to Florida to scout EJ and made the choice to draft him.

If you look at his college career at Florida state it wasn't all that bad considering. 

During his senior season, he threw for the second most yards in team history with 3,392, trailing only Chris Weinke's Heisman Trophy winning season, in which Weinke threw for 4,167 yards. Manuel went 25-6 as a starter, won the first BCS bowl for Florida State since 2000, won five out of six games against intrastate rivals Miami and Florida, and he led the offense to its most prolific season in team history, cleanly surpassing the 1999 National Championship squad with 6,591 yards.

Plus, the kid was Bruce Smith's godson. 

Bills fans worried about Josh Allen's completion percentage and yet EJ's was average after four seasons was 66.9 %. The kid was a reach by the Bills who were desperate for a franchise QB. The Bills should have been looking for that franchise QB as early as 2010 which was Nix's first year as GM. Granted that year's QB draft class stunk too, as did the several after.

EJ Manuel was ruined by moron coaches in Buffalo. EJ was a developmental project who should have never been a first round pick and should have sat and learned behind a veteran QB... But then, the Bills just hired a HC from the college ranks who had no experience as an NFL HC, nor did his OC who also had no NFL experience as an NFL play-caller, OC, QB coach. 

Speaking of QB coaches...the Bills went into EJ's rookie season with no veteran QB on the roster, no NFL QB coach, the other QB's on the roster were another rookie QB and a guy who started a game or two. Plus the OC was Nate Hackett who was the only man any of these young QB could lean on to learn the NFL ropes. EJ later stated he learned more from watching Kyle Orton prepare for an NFL game more than from anyone else in the Bills Org. What does that tell you about how inept Maroon and his flunkies were back then.

Is it really any wonder why EJ Manual failed in Buffalo looking at that offensive coaching staff. 

P.S. The 2014 Buffalo Bills were 9-7 and it was mostly because of that #4 overall defense coached by Bills DC Jim Schwartz. The Buffalo Bills in all their brilliance let Schwartz leave for Philly were he would win a SB ring as the Eagles DC. Meanwhile, the Bills hire Rex Ryan as HC. :sick:

I'm so happy the almost two decades with garbage FO people, coaches are behind this franchise now. 

19 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

I would argue that it wasn't really Nix or Whaley's decision to draft a QB, just the decision which QB from a poor lot.  In the 2013 off season, Ralph Wilson died about a month before the draft but he'd been in a final decline throughout 2012 and the fate of the franchise in Buffalo was in question.  Russ Brandon was in charge, and he was yet again dedicated to keeping butts in the seats despite the uncertainty ... and there is nothing like a first round QB to fire up a fanbase like drafting a first round QB.

8 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

I'm so happy the almost two decades with garbage FO people, coaches are behind this franchise now. 

We don't know that that's actually true since both McDermott and Beane were hired while Brandon was still in control of the team, and they haven't won anything yet with players they've brought in.   I want to see real success on the field, ie double digit regular season wins and playoff appearances more than once every two decades, before I'm willing to say that the current FO is actually better than what the Bills had under Ralph Wilson and Russ Brandon.