Happy 36th birthday to Frank Gore!

6 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

What also is interesting is Gore did most of this work on 1st down.

He was used very limitedly on 3rd downs last year.

I wonder if Dabol will use Gore on 1st down more often and Shady on 2nd and 3rd.

We all have seen that Shady has had problems at times on 1st down.

A lot of 2nd and 6 or 2nd and 5s would be great.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/14/2019 at 11:13 AM, Gugny said:

Is this a HOF career???  Seriously.

Come on Gungy. Don't embarrass yourself. Those numbers are just "fun facts" about Gore. Yes, they don't mean much, but they help to contribute to over 18,000 yard from scrimmage. Something only four other HOFers have achieved. Jerome Bettis got a gold jacket for longevity and his numbers were crap compared to Gore.

5 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Come on Gungy. Don't embarrass yourself. Those numbers are just "fun facts" about Gore. Yes, they don't mean much, but they help to contribute to over 18,000 yard from scrimmage. Something only four other HOFers have achieved. Jerome Bettis got a gold jacket for longevity and his numbers were crap compared to Gore.

....STILL can't believe the shape he's in at 36........if I could only REMEMBER 36...or 46....or 56................

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

On 5/14/2019 at 12:33 PM, DJB said:

And next year's birthday gift is a trip to the nursing home!

I'm having some denture cream and 'Depends' overnighted to OBD. I'm hoping he won't need them until after the season.  HFBD, Mr. Gore! :beer:

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

There's more:

Gore is the second most "efficient" RB (in terms of how far they run before the LOS.  North-South runners have the are most efficient.

McCoy is the 3rd least efficient RB by the same metric.

Gore has the 2nd lowest time behind the LOS.

McCoy has the 6th longest time behind the LOS--despite being in the bottom 1/3 of RBs in terms of the % time they face 8+ in the box.

Out of 47 RBs with 100 or more carries,  Gore ranked 14th in DVOA.

McCoy was 45th.

So, by bringing in Gore, they clearly upgraded at RB---less of that dancing around behind the LOS for no gain.

And, as per a discussion this week on OBL, they upgraded at leadership as well.  There was talk that the coaching staff felt McCoy was a bust as a team captain.

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

There's more:

Gore is the second most "efficient" RB (in terms of how far they run before the LOS.  North-South runners have the are most efficient.

McCoy has the 6th longest time behind the LOS--despite being in the bottom 1/3 of RBs in terms of the % time they face 8+ in the box.

McCoy was 45th.

So, by bringing in Gore, they clearly upgraded at RB---less of that dancing around behind the LOS for no gain.

What you call dancing, others may call ball carrier vision behind a horrendous O-line.  If he ran "north-south" right into the asses of a blocked hole, people would rip into him for NOT dancing.

Edited by 1ManRaid

56 minutes ago, 1ManRaid said:

What you call dancing, others may call ball carrier vision behind a horrendous O-line.  If he ran "north-south" right into the asses of a blocked hole, people would rip into him for NOT dancing.

Despite Josh Allen's rough year and the Bill's anemic passing game last year, teams rarely put 8 in the box against McCoy.  

His style of running didn't change last year, so it has nothing to do with the O-line.  He's always had a high % or negative-to-zero gains.  The Bills need a guy like Gore who can make his own way.  McCoy is never going to be that guy and that was woefully exposed when their O-line quality decreased last year.

Gore has obviously better "ball carrier vision" than McCoy.  "Horrendous O-line", you say?  Ask how Andrew Luck awesome the Colts O-line was before last season.  And Gore was running "North-South" at 4.6 yard per carry in Miami last year---behind the worst O-line in the NFL.

Ask yourself why else McBeane would bring a 36 year old Gore to the Bills.  There's a simple answer.  

On 5/14/2019 at 2:49 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Didn't Thurman Thomas play his entire career with a torn ACL?

Just the question of whether the surgeries were wholly responsible for the change or if in part it's a matter of the college/NFL transition.

Either way, Gore has still had a tremendous career.

He wasn't the same runner after injuries, whether the surgery was necessary or not. 

5 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

There's more:

McCoy was 45th.

And, as per a discussion this week on OBL, they upgraded at leadership as well.  There was talk that the coaching staff felt McCoy was a bust as a team captain.

I don't know where you get these stats, but LeVeon Bell must lead the league in time behind the line scrimmage.   He just waits and waits.   So time behind the line of scrimmage isn't necessarily a bad thing.  There are styles and there are styles.  \

I think the Bills have two smart, savvy runners with different styles, two guys who want to win.  And two decent young backups.   I like it.  

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Despite Josh Allen's rough year and the Bill's anemic passing game last year, teams rarely put 8 in the box against McCoy.  

His style of running didn't change last year, so it has nothing to do with the O-line.  He's always had a high % or negative-to-zero gains.  The Bills need a guy like Gore who can make his own way.  McCoy is never going to be that guy and that was woefully exposed when their O-line quality decreased last year.

Gore has obviously better "ball carrier vision" than McCoy.  "Horrendous O-line", you say?  Ask how Andrew Luck awesome the Colts O-line was before last season.  And Gore was running "North-South" at 4.6 yard per carry in Miami last year---behind the worst O-line in the NFL.

Ask yourself why else McBeane would bring a 36 year old Gore to the Bills.  There's a simple answer.  

Yes, McCoy is a bit of a feast or famine runner.  He has a lot of runs that go for no gain.  He needs a hole to work with.  He had none last year. 

Gore wouldn't have done much with the Bills last season.  His style is similar to Ivory's, and Ivory could get nothing last season, either. 

21 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Yes, McCoy is a bit of a feast or famine runner.  He has a lot of runs that go for no gain.  He needs a hole to work with.  He had none last year. 

Gore wouldn't have done much with the Bills last season.  His style is similar to Ivory's, and Ivory could get nothing last season, either. 

Stats are from Next Gen Stats.

Ivory isn't Frank Gore.  He's a bum.  A maybe two seasons of note in his career.  Barring other injuries, he will be cut before week 1.

Gore ran behind worse lines in Indy and Miami.  He doesn't need a hole to work with.  That's why he was signed....

13 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Ivory isn't Frank Gore.  He's a bum.  A maybe two seasons of note in his career.  Barring other injuries, he will be cut before week 1.

Gore ran behind worse lines in Indy and Miami.  He doesn't need a hole to work with.  That's why he was signed....

Even at this late stage in his career he is a good pass blocker and can adeptly pick up the blitz. He is still top tier as a receiver. On the other hand he is not a ghost who can magically go through a nonexistent hole or seam. Hopefully, with an upgraded line he will have some room to work with. I see him being used as much as an outlet receiver as he will be as a runner. 

16 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

He was signed because our OL sucks.....even though it doesn’t suck anymore?  

I believe he was signed because he’s a solid rb, a good change of pace to shady and incredible locker room presence and only costs 2 mill.  

23 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I believe he was signed because he’s a solid rb, a good change of pace to shady and incredible locker room presence and only costs 2 mill.  

we hadn’t actually fixed our line yet when he was signed, to be fair 

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

we hadn’t actually fixed our line yet when he was signed, to be fair 

I feel confidant in saying that they were going to do their best to fix the OL.  They did a solid job

55 minutes ago, NewEra said:

...what the hell does THAT mean?.....we signed Frank because our OL sucked and he would do better behind the same suckitude versus Shady?.....makes perfect sense...um got it......

Beane signed Gore because he thinks he is a great football player.

In fact, it wouldn’t be a stretch to go as far as to say that Gore is Beane’s favorite player. The Bills’ general manager’s sentiments which he expressed about the Buffalo’s new running back on Thursday afternoon during media day were that strong.

“I’ve got to be candid here, I’m a big fan of Frank Gore,” said Beane near the beginning of his time at the podium. “You watch him (and realize) this guy is just a pro’s pro. There is a reason this guy is still playing at his age. He is an unbelievable competitior and I look forward to seeing what he brings on the field and off the field. I’ve always been a big fan just watching him (from afar).”

https://www.thedailynewsonline.com/bdn02/buffalo-bills-brandon-beane-and-frank-gore---a-match-made-in-football-heaven--20190315

53 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...what the hell does THAT mean?.....we signed Frank because our OL sucked and he would do better behind the same suckitude versus Shady?.....makes perfect sense...um got it......

It was a question in response to someone saying that Gore was signed because our OL sucks.  I want making a statement