Steve Tasker, one of toughest listens [CBS contract not renewed!]

Estro

19 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

A lot to unpack here. While Steve may not be the 2nd coming of Robin Leach describing the various statuary tableaux of the upper crust, he gets his points across just fine for an AM lunchtime gabfest that focuses on our favorite team. Again, you know what you’re getting when you tune in, and for me at least that’s a lot of behind the scenes anecdotes and player insights that someone who’s never actually  played a down of NFL football simply cannot duplicate. As far as our fan base is concerned, might I ask which franchise is blessed with only well-heeled and enlightened perfectly coiffed yuppies in the stands? No thanks. Bills fans are a loyal salt of the earth lot by and large, who deserve better than the flippant brush off your post dismissed them with. I apologize if this was not eloquent enough however.

You are not paid to be eloquent, Tasker used to be, now he’s basically a legacy charity case, and a stammering, borderline unintelligible one at that. And lol who is Robin Leach? Maybe like Tasker, he was cool in the 90’s

7 hours ago, Gugny said:

This is the first I've heard of Tasker.

He used to play Special Teams on the Super Bowl Era team.....Long time ago. Now he is on One Bills live on One Bills Drive. First name Steve....No, Still never heard of him?

• Haha (+1) 2

Al Michaels says he has learned to "let the game breathe."  In comparison, Tasker put the game in a choke hold with his over analysis.  

Disclaimer:  Tasker is an all time Bills great and a great guy.

Tasker was a terrific ST player and, IMO, deserves to be in the Hall of Fame.

OTOH, he was an abysmal football analyst and was nearly unlistenable--at least for me. My guess is, Steve didn't prepare for his analyst job to the same extent he did for football. It was embarrassing as a Bills fan. 

Never had much of a chance to hear Kelso, but I thought what I heard of him was OK. Hopefully Wood will excel. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

well he's not the greatest, so its understandable but still kind of sad.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

• Hapless Bills Fan changed the title to Steve Tasker, one of toughest listens [CBS contract not renewed!]

I love Steve Tasker an all time great Buffalo Bill !!! 

Should be in the HOF !!! 

But hey Lets keep  bashing him for 9 more pages because some people would rather start a stupid thread ( again & again ) then simply turning the dial !

Edited by Putin
  • Like (+1) 1

Giving credit where credit is due...after catching the first 1.5hr of the show today on replay.

Nice change from the shows usual opening consisting of a lengthy happy talk segment(s), since LorAx was on from the git-go, there were no long stretches of talk from Tasker, which is often just about his everyday life.

And with Joe B. filling for Murph, there was a lot of nuts and bolts football talk, even after LorAx left.

Joe’s a grinder as far as wanting to improve at his craft, and the show needs that because as Murph and Tasker admit, they really don’t put a lot of effort into the show.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/21/2019 at 11:09 PM, The Dean said:

OTOH, he was an abysmal football analyst and was nearly unlistenable--at least for me. My guess is, Steve didn't prepare for his analyst job to the same extent he did for football. It was embarrassing as a Bills fan. 

Never had much of a chance to hear Kelso, but I thought what I heard of him was OK. Hopefully Wood will excel. 

Tasker was the player that made special teams a thing in the NFL. Before him it was a grunt squad. He was the first special teamer to become a game changer. He deserves the hall for that.

• Like (+1) 2

On 5/21/2019 at 11:09 PM, The Dean said:

I think they're two different skill sets. I think as a ST player it's getting down techniques, effort on the field and maintaining a physical form.

An analyst requires the ability to mentally process things and then communicate them. I think he could prepare like Romo and still not do it because I don't know what in his football career dictates he had that level not only of knowledge of the game, an ability to process it. And then on top of that, even if he could, communication could be the skill set he struggles with.

• Like (+1) 1

Just finished listening to the entire Friday show, which was a very enjoyable listen ICYMI.

The proverb ‘iron sharpens iron’ was very evident in how Tasker was so engaged feeding off Joe B’s strong knowledge of the team and his passion.

Edited by RockpileSurvivor

On 5/21/2019 at 9:33 PM, Wiz said:

Al Michaels says he has learned to "let the game breathe."  In comparison, Tasker put the game in a choke hold with his over analysis.  

Disclaimer:  Tasker is an all time Bills great and a great guy.

The ‘choke hold’ analogy might also be said of Kelso on the radio broadcasts, trying to get too much information across to the listeners.  It’s not an indictment against the man, just against his style of describing the action on the field.

12 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Tasker was the player that made special teams a thing in the NFL. Before him it was a grunt squad. He was the first special teamer to become a game changer. He deserves the hall for that.

...hopefully some day....look how long it took Ray Guy to get in as a "lowly punter (COUGH)"  or how many years it took MLB to recognize relief pitchers.....

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/24/2019 at 8:48 PM, RockpileSurvivor said:

Joe’s a grinder as far as wanting to improve at his craft, and the show needs that because as Murph and Tasker admit, they really don’t put a lot of effort into the show.

On 5/24/2019 at 10:45 PM, Ol Dirty B said:

I think they're two different skill sets. I think as a ST player it's getting down techniques, effort on the field and maintaining a physical form.

An analyst requires the ability to mentally process things and then communicate them. I think he could prepare like Romo and still not do it because I don't know what in his football career dictates he had that level not only of knowledge of the game, an ability to process it. And then on top of that, even if he could, communication could be the skill set he struggles with.

Ol Dirty, I don't disagree. I don't think Tasker is ever going to be Romo in the broadcast booth. But that's exactly why, if Tasker wants to improve as a broadcaster, he needs to put MORE effort into the prep, not less.   I'm not certain if RockpileSurvivor's observation if correct, but if so it's embarrassing. If you are getting paid to do a job you should approach it professionally and put in the work.

On 5/23/2019 at 12:30 AM, Putin said:

I love Steve Tasker an all time great Buffalo Bill !!! 

Should be in the HOF !!! 

But hey Lets keep  bashing him for 9 more pages because some people would rather start a stupid thread ( again & again ) then simply turning the dial !

Well it's one thing to turn the dial on the radio. It's another thing completely to turn the dial when it's the game being televised. 

.....trash Tasker all you want....but it's hard to deny how former players like Tasker, Kelso, et al remain connected to the team as well as taking up residency in Bflo post career.....sure as hell should acknowledge these guys for their never ending commitment to the Bills IMO.....

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

.....trash Tasker all you want....but it's hard to deny how former players like Tasker, Kelso, et al remain connected to the team as well as taking up residency in Bflo post career.....sure as hell should acknowledge these guys for their never ending commitment to the Bills IMO.....

Agree completely. I admit I haven't read every post in the thread, but as anyone trashed Tasker as a person? His commitment to the Bills? If so, shame on them.

But that shouldn't prevent an honest discussion of his work as a broadcaster. Totally different things.

• Like (+1) 2

On 5/26/2019 at 11:52 AM, The Dean said:

Ol Dirty, I don't disagree. I don't think Tasker is ever going to be Romo in the broadcast booth. But that's exactly why, if Tasker wants to improve as a broadcaster, he needs to put MORE effort into the prep, not less.   I'm not certain if RockpileSurvivor's observation if correct, but if so it's embarrassing. If you are getting paid to do a job you should approach it professionally and put in the work.

Well it's one thing to turn the dial on the radio. It's another thing completely to turn the dial when it's the game being televised. 

I missed the quote stating they don't put a lot of effort in. If that's they case they should be embarrassed, I can't believe they even admit that.