Steve Tasker, one of toughest listens [CBS contract not renewed!]

Estro

On 5/14/2019 at 8:21 AM, Chris from Rochester said:

If I want to hear some optimistic takes about the Bills, I really enjoy them. Beats the constant misery and pessimistic takes of Schoop and Jeremy  

But they aren’t honest takes. It’s all fluff PR pushed by the team.

How does that make for interesting radio?

10 minutes ago, Helpmenow said:

Steve does a great job and so does Murphy. You guys think you can do better I’d love to hear all of you babble.

One of favorite arguments, “You think X is awful. I don’t. Let’s see you do it better.”

OOF.

Edited by eanyills

On 5/16/2019 at 8:06 PM, Superhero said:

I’d much rather listen to Tasker over Schopp & The Bulldog

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ this ^^^^^^^^^^

Edited by Putin
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 5/17/2019 at 6:20 PM, JESSEFEFFER said:

Steve tends to talk too much and deliver it too fast, his words get disconnected from his thoughts and he is left to ramble.  He can end up saying Drew Brees when he means Drew Bledsoe, forget names of guys drafted a few weeks ago, start asking one question of a guest and end up switching to another midstream, etc.  His story telling is much better because he doesn't need to express an opinion or think on the fly.  As the narrator of a story he has probably told many times, he can be very good.

Seriously, I worry about all those guys and CTE.  Who can really say where and when that kind thing starts to show up and how it will progress.  I still listen to their show as it does deliver some interesting Bills content and its better than nothing.  Imo, there are very few people that can talk that much about anything without using a script and deliver it consistently well all the time.

all very well put, i agree. better than nothing is spot on because the rest of wgr broadcasting is all abote da sabres eh. the morning show sucks...the instigators are irritating and shopp and the bulldog...nuff said.  the only other time that i listen to anything other than obl is sal's sports talk saturday from 11-1.

i try to listen everyday because i love to soak up everything bills. they do a great job getting guests on and getting players on. you really get to know the players in depth and i love that. ironically....since this thread started , the above first bolded statement has been sticking out to me much more than it was before. i find myself saying "spit it out steve!" uggh

Edited by billsredneck1

I alternate between WGR and WFAN out of NYC, and imo, WFAN hosts are far superior than WGR hosts- even when they are fans of teams that I am not, they are always entertaining and informative...WGR could definitely learn a thing or two.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I just tuned in and as usual the worst part of the show is the opening. Followed by when they don’t have guests on.

All Tasker does is go on endlessly about his not so interesting life from present to 30+ years ago. Likely he could the whole show, he’s finds himself so very captivating...lol

Obviously the producer could do something but doesn’t. 

As Darcy said there would be...#suffering 

Truly #onebuffalo

?

I actually liked the show better back in the days when it was only John Murphy. Made his job harder, which I'm sure is why he wanted a co-host, but he was forced to collect a ton of material for each show, didn't waste time making small talk and conversing about stupid things, and gave more time to callers and guests. Adding Donald Jones made the show almost unlistenable to me. Tasker is a little better, but sometimes makes me cringe when he just can't get words out or states an opinion that just makes you wonder if he does any homework at all.

But honestly, I think the show is ok. Not good, not terrible, sometimes interesting to listen to, and sometimes just pointless. Much like almost any radio show I have ever heard.

Tasker obviously knows his stuff. He is very confident in his opinions, for good reasons. But I have to agree that he's not a good interviewer. When a guest comes on the show, treat him/her like that guest! Let them talk. Tasker tends to talk as much or even more than the guests he's interviewing. Tasker, you have the rest of the show to tell us all about how it was in your locker room, and we want to to hear that. But I want to hear as much from the guest in his/her allotted time as possible. Still, #89 should be in the HOF.

Edited by scribo

54 minutes ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

Steve was fired at CBS apparently. 

Not doubting you, but where did you get that info? Everywhere I look it still shows Tasker as a CBS sideline reporter.

1 hour ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

Steve was fired at CBS apparently. 

I caught just a couple minutes of the show today, but the during the segment I heard, he was speaking favorably about his CBS time as if this was a voluntary thing he was looking forward to, fwiw.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, scribo said:

Not doubting you, but where did you get that info? Everywhere I look it still shows Tasker as a CBS sideline reporter.

One Bills Live. Steve said at one point "let go" .... he was talking about having his weekends open for not working for CBS anymore, it didn't sound like he resigned.

Edited by Mrbojanglezs

6 hours ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

One Bills Live. Steve said at one point "let go" .... he was talking about having his weekends open for not working for CBS anymore, it didn't sound like he resigned.

Steve stated"They didn't renew my contract."

He seem fine with it.

I couldn’t agree more. He is constantly stammering and has little command of the language. He’s ineloquent, struggles with player names, and whatever the opposite of ‘modern’ or ‘relevant’ is...that’s Tasker. The thing is, our fan-base is loaded with dudes identical to Tasker..obsessed with the past, ineloquent, mildly-racist and just...antiquated. Barf. Anyways, Tasker is the worst. 

1 hour ago, Richard Crickets said:

I couldn’t agree more. He is constantly stammering and has little command of the language. He’s ineloquent, struggles with player names, and whatever the opposite of ‘modern’ or ‘relevant’ is...that’s Tasker. The thing is, our fan-base is loaded with dudes identical to Tasker..obsessed with the past, ineloquent, mildly-racist and just...antiquated. Barf. Anyways, Tasker is the worst. 

A lot to unpack here. While Steve may not be the 2nd coming of Robin Leach describing the various statuary tableaux of the upper crust, he gets his points across just fine for an AM lunchtime gabfest that focuses on our favorite team. Again, you know what you’re getting when you tune in, and for me at least that’s a lot of behind the scenes anecdotes and player insights that someone who’s never actually  played a down of NFL football simply cannot duplicate. As far as our fan base is concerned, might I ask which franchise is blessed with only well-heeled and enlightened perfectly coiffed yuppies in the stands? No thanks. Bills fans are a loyal salt of the earth lot by and large, who deserve better than the flippant brush off your post dismissed them with. I apologize if this was not eloquent enough however.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Buffaloflash said:

Steve stated"They didn't renew my contract."

He seem fine with it.

He knows the real plan behind it is to drive Murphy nuts.  Now with no out of town travel, Tasker can hang out with Murphy 24/7.  Before long, Entercom will be sending over some squeaky voiced intern to OBD to be the new voice of the Bills, paying minimum wage and a free weekly pizza from Franco’s.

?