Steve Tasker, one of toughest listens [CBS contract not renewed!]

Estro

I agree.. Very frustrating listening to him ramble on and on about nothing most of the time.  You can tell John Murphy gets frustrated with him too.  He needs to go.  

1 hour ago, Phil The Thrill said:

While Tasker certainly isn’t great, I can listen to him.  Chris Brown is horrendous and comes off like a robot.  He’s not interesting and he simply just regurgitates “safe” thoughts on the Bills.  

Which they all do because they are employed by the Bills.  

Tasker is better on TV than the radio. I disagree that he doesnt have knowledge or insight he just has a rough delivery. 

Kelso meanwhile is great. People way underappreciate him. He's both extremely articulate/good at diagnosing plays, and is very onery and fiery at the same time. The same calls that go against the Bills that you want to call BS about, but deep down arent sure about, he helpfully calls straight up BS on. His tone of voice sometimes is like a sneer of contempt. 

I remember last year he got so fired up when the Bills and I think the Jags were in that brawl he was about to go down there and kick some ass himself. Kelso is just like the embodiment of what being a Bills fan is all about. 

Edited by Pasaluki
  • Like (+1) 5

I’m just thankful there are no more blacked out games.  Murphy sucks as a PbP guy. 

As far as One Bills Live goes, I’ve tried it a few times over the years.  Almost always cringeworthy, and definitely 100% team sponsored radio.  ?

2 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

I enjoy their show.  Like Tasker's stories and continued ties to the former players.  Murph has some great stories going back to the early days of the team.  Ive never understood why the expectations for a local AM radio show have been so high.

If I had to choose either OBL or Schoop and Jeremy White talking soccer. Id choose OBL everytime.

If I want to hear some optimistic takes about the Bills, I really enjoy them. Beats the constant misery and pessimistic takes of Schoop and Jeremy  

• Like (+1) 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I don't understand how anyone can listen to that show and conclude that Tasker is the tough listen.

Murph is a disaster---easily one of the dumbest guys on the radio.  He offers absolutely nothing in the way of analysis or interesting commentary. 

Tasker has to sit there for hours trying to engage this guy in cogent conversation and the strain is apparent at times maybe, be he's pretty solid.

7 hours ago, Estro said:

I kind of hesitate to write posts like this because I don't like to criticize someone that's giving an honest effort........but Steve Tasker is one of the worst radio hosts I've ever come across.  He stumbles and stammers his way through a 3 hour radio show almost every show.  His questions to guests are so all over the place that I sometimes feel bad for the guest having to try and navigate his ? and give a response.  I think the Buffalo Bills could do a lot better, and putting feelings aside, that's something they need to upgrade. 

I actually like that show quite a bit more when Murph is coupled with Chris Brown......I know they're both homers, but I just think Brown is much better at orating his points.

You hate to write posts like this but you did anyways--   Give me Tasker and Murph over the morning crew or Schopp and the Bulldog anyday

• Like (+1) 2

The guy to Tasker's right is smarmy, and less knowledgeable than Tasker or any guest.

Also the rotund one didn't take shots or makes jokes aimed at Donald Jones like he does with Tasker.

I wonder why ?

• Like (+1) 1

Yes Steve might stammer a bit but he is extremely knowledgeable, he’s just not polished as some of the national media folk.

The issue is really with Murphy and his smarmy, better than everyone else attitude that you hear from him. He might be an okay play by play guy but he is really a “Richard Head” on the OBL show.

Its obvious that Murphy is jealous of Steve and he is always making comments about Steve’s days off to work for CBS. Get rid of the smart my one and add Joe B or Chris B with Tasker and the show would get considerably better.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Pasaluki said:

Tasker is better on TV than the radio. I disagree that he doesnt have knowledge or insight he just has a rough delivery. 

Kelso meanwhile is great. People way underappreciate him. He's both extremely articulate/good at diagnosing plays, and is very onery and fiery at the same time. The same calls that go against the Bills that you want to call BS about, but deep down arent sure about, he helpfully calls straight up BS on. His tone of voice sometimes is like a sneer of contempt. 

I remember last year he got so fired up when the Bills and I think the Jags were in that brawl he was about to go down there and kick some ass himself. Kelso is just like the embodiment of what being a Bills fan is all about. 

agree 100% on Kelso.  Great guy too, he always makes a little time to talk with fans watching the pregame show at the WGR tent during commercial breaks.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, SoTier said:

That's his job when he's doing a CBS game.  It's not a local broadcast but a national one.  If you want to hear Bills-centric broadcast, cut the tv sound and turn on the radio broadcast.

Problem with this is the radio is always 5-10 seconds ahead of the TV. 

2 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

I’m just thankful there are no more blacked out games.  Murphy sucks as a PbP guy. 

As far as One Bills Live goes, I’ve tried it a few times over the years.  Almost always cringeworthy, and definitely 100% team sponsored radio.  ?

I think we all got spoiled listening to Van Miller all those years. In my opinion Van was one of the best, would be a tough act for anyone to follow.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, fansince88 said:

I think a simple search will help you find enough Slam the One Bills Live show you could have added to that one that has plenty of "Steve Tasker is horrible" posts. A suggestion to you if you dont like it....dont listen. 

So.... if there are a lot of posts complaining about Tasker, then MAYBE just maybe he isn't the broadcasting god you make him out to be? Everyone has a right to their opinion, and it doesn't make yours right and theirs wrong just because people post a lot about him. The way I see it, it follows the old adage if one person tells you you're drunk, and you feel fine, ignore him. If ten people tell you you're drunk, go lie down.

I think the criticism for both Murphy and Tasker is a little overblown. I think they do an ok job. Tasker does struggle sometimes, for sure, but he's way better than Donald Jones who never put an hour of effort into his job the entire time he was there. Murphy is a homer but he has always been willing to talk about the Bills struggles and the players and coaches shortcomings.

They get excellent guests on the show regularly. Chris Brown is often on the show and I think he is always a good listen.

All in all it is a decent show, in my opinion. Not sure where all the vitriol comes from.

9 hours ago, Estro said:

I actually like that show quite a bit more when Murph is coupled with Chris Brown......I know they're both homers, but I just think Brown is much better at orating his points.

When i found out Browny was filling in for Tasker i listened to every show last week, He even covers for Murphs inept opinions of the Bills i never thought a guy that does nothing but football for a living could be so far away from knowing anything about football until i heard Murph & the way he flip flops on his opinions !!

Even Donald Jones made Murph sound better & now that he is gone could give us some insight to why he left ! I think Browny is the best reporter the Bills have very articulate & well spoken in his commentary doesn't stumble at all & he is very passionate about what he does & does a great job !! I could see him being a reporter for ESPN or Fox sports very easily if he ever decided to .

Murph on the other hand not so much & i would hope that they are looking for a different play by play guy because his TOUCHDOWN TOUCHDOWN TOUCHDOWN calls are a far cry from Vans epic Bills calls !! Just saying ...

But to the point of the OP the pair of Murph & Tasker does nothing for me !! 

Edited by T master

Is he the best - no he is not.  He is also not the worst.

OBL is a better alternative than the other WGR shows to get good football talk.

I listen to NFL radio a lot but there you get only a bit of Bills talk so OBL fills the desire to hear more Bills, even if presented with a home town point of view.

• Like (+1) 2