Expectations for Josh Allen this year

Darnold vs. Allen vs. Rosen is going to be fun to watch over the next few years. It’s crazy that they all wound up in the same division.

I thought Darnold marginally outplayed Allen in their meeting last year, and on the season. Everyone brings up our lack of weapons but the Jets didn’t have much to work with either. I didn’t get to see as much of Rosen. Let’s hope our boy plays well enough that he becomes than just one of the 2018 QB class in the AFCE.

40 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Couple good posts (you & Hapless). I’ll add that I’m a bit concerned how many of us are expecting Dan Marino for year 2. Even ‘God’ Kelly took a few years to finally ‘get’ NFL football, and that was after 2 years of playing intramural ball in Houston. He’s eager, we’re eager. But he’s had a total of 5 actual hours* playing QB for keeps in the League.

It takes time.

*considering 30/30 minutes TOP.

That's a fair point.  What we can hope for is a serious advance in field generalship.  More sustained drives, more success in the red zone.  Not Peyton after five years, but Wentz or Goff after two - flashes of brilliance and occasional lapses.   That's what I think we'll get.  Not enough to get deep into the playoffs, but that should be the expectation in 2020.  

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

coming from a patsie** fan, this post is expected.

one that can and will be seen as nothing but bull####.

So you don't dispute the fact that your QB is a poor man's TT? 

1 minute ago, LSHMEAB said:

Once again. Why are you here?

Because, while you guys are no where near as ignorant about football as Jets' fans... Or still think you're a storied franchise like the Dolphins... You guys still need a voice of reason in your midst... Someone to temper the nonsense and speak the truth. The truth that you are afraid to face.

7 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Once again. Why are you here?

If you want to learn more about your team let me know and I'll educate you.

11 hours ago, ricko1112 said:

Allen was pretty bad last year as a passer. Worse than Tyrod Taylor even... It looks like people are high on him because of his rushing yards. In reality, he only had 1 decent game all season. It's tough to see why people are so high on him.

So...you didn’t actually watch the games then?

Worry about your own QB.  He’ll be eligible for the senior discount soon.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Success said:

So...you didn’t actually watch the games then?

Worry about your own QB.  He’ll be eligible for the senior discount soon.

The Bills aren't usually on TV outside of Toronto.

1 minute ago, ricko1112 said:

The Bills aren't usually on TV outside of Toronto.

So, you’re just guessing?

Thanks for the knowledgeable football analysis.  Typical of bandwagon Pats fans who barely understand the game.

16 minutes ago, Success said:

So, you’re just guessing?

Thanks for the knowledgeable football analysis.  Typical of bandwagon Pats fans who barely understand the game.

What an ironic handle... "Success" You must be a lacrosse fan!

1 hour ago, ricko1112 said:

So you don't dispute the fact that your QB is a poor man's TT? 

Seriously?  This is beyond the pale, don't you think?  

Josh Allen was a rookie who played half a season.  He was not even the designated starting QB at training camp last year, so he didn't get the reps that Nate Peterman got.  Does Allen need some refinement?  Yes.  Is he a poor man's TT?  Not a chance.  Tyrod was afraid to throw the ball unless his receiver was "college open."  Not the case with Josh Allen.  The last few games at the end of the season seemed to indicate that Allen has a high ceiling; this year should indicate more of what is to come.  Add in the additions to WR, RB, TE, and the OLine which will give Allen more to work with than what he had last year.  This is the first time since Jim Kelly retired that the QB position is trending up for us.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I've long been and Allen critic...but I am really looking forward to seeing what he does with an overhauled roster and another year of experience etc...He's a fun player to watch and the physical gifts definitely show up on the field.  I'm rooting for him.  Whatever your definition of accuracy is...however you want to quantify that....Allen and the Bills need to make strides in passing efficiency....I'm looking forward to it.  I'd like to eat a little tasty crow about Allen.

3 hours ago, ricko1112 said:

What an ironic handle... "Success" You must be a lacrosse fan!

It's pretty clear you haven't watched enough of Josh Allen to have a valid opinion on him. Don't try to claim that you have. It's obvious you haven't.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 5/13/2019 at 10:02 PM, Bangarang said:

3,300 yards, 16 td and 12 int on a 56% completion percentage is trash and likely means our offense is also trash yet again.

Fortunately, I think he’ll perform better than that. 

I’d be extremely upset if this is his stat line next year. It means we’re winning in spite of Josh Allen instead of because of Josh Allen.

I’m comparing him to Year 2 of Trubisky.

11 hours ago, Billzfan23 said:

I think you have to try to go game by game through the schedule and find 10 or 11 wins in that slate.  I realistically see about 8 or 9, tops.  But, like the Vikings game last year, there could be some surprise wins thrown in there, too.

but we also lost games that we should have won like the ones against Miami and Jets....

10 hours ago, Augie said:

I would advise ignoring, therefore starving the trolls. Easy to say, harder to do, but generally a good path to follow. 

To each their own; however, I have never understood those posters, who are fans of other teams, that feel the need to come onto this board and lecture us about our QB. I don't have enough time in my day to get to all of the things I enjoy or that have some real meaning in my life. I couldn't imagine wasting one minute of my life on another team's message board offering my critique of any particular player on that team - or responding to those that do so on our board. 

But, like I said, to each their own...

Edited by billsfan1959
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 5/15/2019 at 12:38 PM, ShadyBillsFan said:

LOL 

But

But

I WAS being kind!!!!! 

The blockhead comment did seem a bit harsh   but what I meant to portray was his physical appearance  

usatsi_10675292-2.jpg  DkR3fp0U0AA8TSq.jpg

Yolo has taken care of that  and its on FIRE 

Related image

I was thinking more like this as a comparison.  Lots of these images out there when I searched so I am not the only one that sees the resemblance.

15 hours ago, VW82 said:

Darnold vs. Allen vs. Rosen is going to be fun to watch over the next few years. It’s crazy that they all wound up in the same division.

I thought Darnold marginally outplayed Allen in their meeting last year, and on the season. Everyone brings up our lack of weapons but the Jets didn’t have much to work with either. I didn’t get to see as much of Rosen. Let’s hope our boy plays well enough that he becomes than just one of the 2018 QB class in the AFCE.

I went back and watched the highlights of the game.  The Bills offense with Allen was much more "dangerous" but Allen had a fumble and two picks to Darnold's one.  Darnold hit that one deep pass to Anderson against really good coverage,  the Bills got gashed by returns and had a FG blocked and missed another.  For 58 minutes or so Allen looked much more like the QB a defense doesn't want to have to play, imo.  The Jets got the lead at the end and Josh threw a bad int afterward,  so I guess one could argue  Darnold "marginally outplayed Allen" but I thought Josh showed more playmaking traits than Sam.  These will be fun matchups to overanalyze for the next decade or so, hopefully.

Edited by JESSEFEFFER
  • Like (+1) 1