Tyree Jackson - The Next “Joe Webb” For The Bills?

1 hour ago, Phil The Thrill said:

If you read the original post, I wasn’t the one who made the comparison.  But why let the truth get in the way?

Didn't say you did. I'm quite aware that you posted what someone else has said or wrote. Doesn't change the fact that it's silly when stating that a player may become the "next Joe Webb". I mean really? lol come on man

Edited by Patrick_Duffy
  • Haha (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

I was listening to The Bills Beat podcast with Joe B and Matt Fairborn who were covering rookie minicamp.  The most interesting discussion was on Tyree Jackson.

The two said that, despite poor weather (wind) Jackson initially was very inconsistent and sloppy on mechanics.  He did seem to settle down a bit eventually but that the camp was a reminder as to why he went undrafted....he has a long way to go.

Many believe that Jackson simply moves into the #3 QB spot vacated by Derek Anderson’s retirement.  However Joe believes that Tyree has a long way to go to earn a spot on the active roster.  He thinks that Anderson’s retirement makes it harder for Jackson, because he now has to beat out Matt Barkley for a spot which likely won’t happen given his experience.  

Because the question is....will Buffalo even keep 3 QB’s on the active roster?  In his first two seasons, McDermott has not done.  Most recently the Bills traded AJ McCarron rather than keep 3 active QB’s. In 2017, the Bills did keep 3 QB’s but 1 was Joe Webb who contributed mostly on ST’s and was their emergency QB.  

This begs the question would it give Tyree a better chance to make the Bills if he took a role similar to Joe Webb?  He could play special teams or another position while learning QB behind a good mentor like Matt Barkley and even Josh Allen.  

You know that the Bills value position flexibility and it makes you wonder whether playing ST’s would be the best move for Jackson until he fully develops as a QB. 

Does Vegas have a proposition for Tyree making the roster?    Maybe you can place a 5k bet on it?

6 hours ago, Gugny said:

Were we supposed to hear the OP out for this one?

No reaction outside of Duffy, shocking.

6 hours ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

Didn't say you did. I'm quite aware that you posted what someone else has said or wrote. Doesn't change the fact that it's silly when stating that a player may become the "next Joe Webb". I mean really? lol come on man

You are oversimplifying the original idea.  I thought the idea of the Bills using Jackson in different situations/packages would be interesting.  I wonder if a couple of salty Saints fans complain anytime Tayson Hill is mentioned.

5 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

You are oversimplifying the original idea.  I thought the idea of the Bills using Jackson in different situations/packages would be interesting.  I wonder if a couple of salty Saints fans complain anytime Tayson Hill is mentioned.

When your starter is Josh Allen, it just doesn't make sense. He's every bit as athletic as Tyree Jackson so what's the point? What the Saints do is unique because Brees and Hill are polar opposites and Hill brings an entirely different skill set to those specialty plays.

I could see Jackson potentially shifting to TE, but that would mean focusing entirely on that position. The Bills have too many bodies there so that seems like something that would happen elsewhere. If he wants to be a quarterback, he's gonna need to focus all of his time on quarterback.

I don't have any reason to believe Jackson would be some special teams ace and I don't know what else he could bring to the table outside of playing QB or tight end if he doesn't pan out at his preferred position. 

I don't even see him as another Taysom Hill. Hill plays quite a bit faster and QUICKER and is an incredibly instinctive runner. Jackson is big and fast, but he's not Taysom Hill.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Meh

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LSHMEAB said:

When your starter is Josh Allen, it just doesn't make sense. He's every bit as athletic as Tyree Jackson so what's the point? What the Saints do is unique because Brees and Hill are polar opposites and Hill brings an entirely different skill set to those specialty plays.

I could see Jackson potentially shifting to TE, but that would mean focusing entirely on that position. The Bills have too many bodies there so that seems like something that would happen elsewhere. If he wants to be a quarterback, he's gonna need to focus all of his time on quarterback.

I don't have any reason to believe Jackson would be some special teams ace and I don't know what else he could bring to the table outside of playing QB or tight end if he doesn't pan out at his preferred position. 

I don't even see him as another Taysom Hill. Hill plays quite a bit faster and QUICKER and is an incredibly instinctive runner. Jackson is big and fast, but he's not Taysom Hill.

Tell this to Joe Buscaglia and Matt Fairborn.  All I’m saying is that the idea of using Jackson in different situations is interesting 

I hate to say it but The Bulls WRs made Jackson look better. Anthony Johnson is going to play in Tampa. KJ Osborne transferred to The U. I don't know if he has to sit a year but he's someone to keep an eye on too.

On 5/13/2019 at 8:28 PM, Bangarang said:

Jackson isn’t someone I’d care to waste a roster spot on. I’d put him on the practice squad and continue to try and develop him. I don’t see him ever being a starting QB in the NFL (at least not a good one). 

i have a theory that having a crazy styled  backup would be a good thing- if your qb goes down you best throw something new at them since your backup is clearly not a top 30 qb so go with something the defense has never seen. this is why i hope he makes team.

3rd string, P.S Qb.  For Jackson to get a package or be used in the offense, he would have to show he is a good enough Qb where they feel like they cant put him on P.S.  Imo that's a pretty long way to go. 

On 5/14/2019 at 11:13 PM, Mat68 said:

3rd string, P.S Qb.  For Jackson to get a package or be used in the offense, he would have to show he is a good enough Qb where they feel like they cant put him on P.S.  Imo that's a pretty long way to go. 

If you listened to the podcast they talked about this.  Jackson was considered by some to be as high as a 3rd to 4th round pick.  It’s not unlikely that a team wouldn’t sign him off of the practice squad, which again, begs the questions of whether they would want to find ways to use him in other ways that just QB3

On 5/14/2019 at 8:32 PM, PromoTheRobot said:

I hate to say it but The Bulls WRs made Jackson look better. Anthony Johnson is going to play in Tampa. KJ Osborne transferred to The U. I don't know if he has to sit a year but he's someone to keep an eye on too.

You could very well be right.  I just know that a lot of scouts that that Jackson would be a mid-to-low round draft pick.  So many did see value in him

5 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

If you listened to the podcast they talked about this.  Jackson was considered by some to be as high as a 3rd to 4th round pick.  It’s not unlikely that a team wouldn’t sign him off of the practice squad, which again, begs the questions of whether they would want to find ways to use him in other ways that just QB3

You could very well be right.  I just know that a lot of scouts that that Jackson would be a mid-to-low round draft pick.  So many did see value in him

I understand some people loved his arm talent.  He is still very raw and why he went undrafted.  To use a roster spot he has to show massive improvement to warrant that sort of consideration.  

I dont see Tyree making the roster. Practice squad most likely. Obviously all the other teams thought he was too far away from being NFL ready. If someone does snag him off of the Bills PS then who cares? It isnt like he has any chance of getting playing time unless catastrophic injuries happen to Allen and Barkley. Even then it wouldnt surprise me if the Bills went looking for a veteran QB to sign. 

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Joe Webb sucked.   Why repeat that disaster?  

And why hasn't this been merged with the Allen and Tyree on the field at the same time thread?  

.....or at least the Dunkirk Don thread. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Joe Webb sucked.   Why repeat that disaster?  

And why hasn't this been merged with the Allen and Tyree on the field at the same time thread?  

46 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

.....or at least the Dunkirk Don thread. 

Nah. Merge it with the thread from that guy who posted about betting 5k on the Vikings to beat the Bills by 17 ?