Tyree Jackson - The Next “Joe Webb” For The Bills?

I was listening to The Bills Beat podcast with Joe B and Matt Fairborn who were covering rookie minicamp.  The most interesting discussion was on Tyree Jackson.

The two said that, despite poor weather (wind) Jackson initially was very inconsistent and sloppy on mechanics.  He did seem to settle down a bit eventually but that the camp was a reminder as to why he went undrafted....he has a long way to go.

Many believe that Jackson simply moves into the #3 QB spot vacated by Derek Anderson’s retirement.  However Joe believes that Tyree has a long way to go to earn a spot on the active roster.  He thinks that Anderson’s retirement makes it harder for Jackson, because he now has to beat out Matt Barkley for a spot which likely won’t happen given his experience.  

Because the question is....will Buffalo even keep 3 QB’s on the active roster?  In his first two seasons, McDermott has not done.  Most recently the Bills traded AJ McCarron rather than keep 3 active QB’s. In 2017, the Bills did keep 3 QB’s but 1 was Joe Webb who contributed mostly on ST’s and was their emergency QB.  

This begs the question would it give Tyree a better chance to make the Bills if he took a role similar to Joe Webb?  He could play special teams or another position while learning QB behind a good mentor like Matt Barkley and even Josh Allen.  

You know that the Bills value position flexibility and it makes you wonder whether playing ST’s would be the best move for Jackson until he fully develops as a QB. 

Jackson isn’t someone I’d care to waste a roster spot on. I’d put him on the practice squad and continue to try and develop him. I don’t see him ever being a starting QB in the NFL (at least not a good one). 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Bangarang said:

Jackson isn’t someone I’d care to waste a roster spot on. I’d put him on the practice squad and continue to try and develop him. I don’t see him ever being a starting QB in the NFL (at least not a good one). 

I would agree with you on never becoming a starter, which is why it makes you wonder whether it’s worth using him as a Joe webb to take advantage of his athletic ability and size

35 minutes ago, JoeF said:

You mean replace the Joe Webb "Package"?  ..Joe was the ultimate weapon..special teams, WR, Snow Game QB.... Can Tyree handle this?  What a blessing that would be.

The Spider.

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, JoeF said:

You mean replace the Joe Webb "Package"?  ..Joe was the ultimate weapon..special teams, WR, Snow Game QB.... Can Tyree handle this?  What a blessing that would be.

I think we really need Dunkirk Don to weigh in on this one.

• Haha (+1) 2

I agree with the premise, but them saying that Anderson's retirement makes it HARDER for Jackson to make the team is just idiotic. There's just no way that's true.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Actually thought that Tyree had a high ceiling?

People make way too much out of high ceiling or low ceiling . A good football player is a good player 

nobody thought Brady had a high ceiling ... at that level everybody is super talented and it really is  how hard you are Willing to work and grind

nobody thought Kyle Williams had a 5x pro bowler ceiling 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

People make way too much out of high ceiling or low ceiling . A good football player is a good player 

nobody thought Brady had a high ceiling ... at that level everybody is super talented and it really is  how hard you are Willing to work and grind

nobody thought Kyle Williams had a 5x pro bowler ceiling 

Seems you are agreeing with my original sentiments..

Im hoping Tyree can turn out more like Brady or Kyle and less like Joe Webb

Edited by Aussie Joe