EJ Manuel Retires from NFL

...kid was over drafted as Hibernatin' Buddy's pick, despite Genome being his #1 before the workout/interview......can't fault EJ's personality or work ethic....kid just had a woeful OBD start with the Kolb Mat Attack and had ZERO confidence in his ability at the NFL level from day 1 especially being thrust into starting role..yet he tried in Bflo and failed but moved on to other clubs.....at least he gave it his best effort but failed like many others before him and like many others will after him...........

• Like (+1) 1

No, I don't agree with EJ's (deleted) comment about not getting chances based on race. But he does have a larger point: some guys get chances. And chances. And more chances. Some don't. And I dare you to find any objective explanation for why this happens.

Which one is EJ? (And who are the others?). Note: these guys are ages 33, 30, 29, 29, 29, 28 (not in order); 4 are still on NFL rosters (and at least 3 are very good shots to make a final roster), 1 is unsigned as of today, and of course 1 is retired. No, composite stats like this aren't everything, but if you disagree, choose any other objective measure of success and tell me why one (or more) of these guys is better/worse than the others. EJ, you kinda sucked, but ...

A. Career 77.1 QB rating, 4.95 ANY/A (adjusted net yards/attempt)

B. Career 75.5 rating, 4.91 

C. Career 79.9 rating, 5.34

D. Career 78.0 rating, 4.99

E. Career 74.9 rating, 4.27

F. Career 68.3 rating, 4.84

Edited by The Frankish Reich
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Frankish Reich said:

No, I don't agree with EJ's (deleted) comment about not getting chances based on race. But he does have a larger point: some guys get chances. And chances. And more chances. Some don't. And I dare you to find any objective explanation for why this happens.

Which one is EJ? (And who are the others?). Note: these guys are ages 33, 30, 29, 29, 29, 28 (not in order); 4 are still on NFL rosters (and at least 3 are very good shots to make a final roster), 1 is unsigned as of today, and of course 1 is retired. No, composite stats like this aren't everything, but if you disagree, choose any other objective measure of success and tell me why one (or more) of these guys is better/worse than the others. EJ, you kinda sucked, but ...

Answer:

Someone in the league saw something they liked in those guys. No one in the league saw something they liked in EJ. Do those other guys probably suck? Yes. Other guys sucking or not sucking doesn’t prove that EJ doesn’t suck.

He sucks. It’s over.

• Like (+1) 1

i wish EJ the best and he was brought into the wrong system with the wrong coach but he was not good enough consistently enough to argue he should be a starter. he was not reliable enough to be a top end backup- so he is out of league due to his own game tape. 

5 hours ago, prissythecat said:

Lol EJ was everything but capable . It doesn’t matter who the coach was .

Agreed, and I am not saying this with malice.

Some very good college QBs are just not good enough to make it in the NFL. Hey, Rob Johnson had a much better arm than Tom Brady and he could run but he was a horrible QB. I am the first to admit that for years, I thought that Johnson would figure things out and make use of all of his talent but it was never going to happen, and he was WAY more talented than EJ.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BringBackOrton said:

Answer:

Someone in the league saw something they liked in those guys. No one in the league saw something they liked in EJ. Do those other guys probably suck? Yes. Other guys sucking or not sucking doesn’t prove that EJ doesn’t suck.

He sucks. It’s over.

I think you're missing my point. My example B is Chad Henne, who looks like he may stick with the Chiefs. He's 33. He's gotten 53 starts in his career, in which he's 18-35. I think EJ is legitimately puzzled. "Someone in the league saw something they liked" in Chad Henne, after 10 full years of sub-mediocrity?

• Like (+1) 2

20 hours ago, KD in CA said:

I always say, that was a great trip other than about ten minutes in the first half of the game.....and that bogus PI call.

Defense lost that game.  EJ put them behind the 8-ball, but the D lost the game.  Oh ... and Sam Watkins quitting on his team. That didn't help, either.

• Like (+1) 1

There was one person on the board who said (and I quote) “EJ will be out of this league sooner than Geno Smith and that’s why Geno should be the pick for the Bills”. Do you know who said that? @CountryCletus  Props to you sir! I’ll be looking for more of your stone cold lock picks in the future. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

There was one person on the board who said (and I quote) “EJ will be out of this league sooner than Geno Smith and that’s why Geno should be the pick for the Bills”. Do you know who said that? @CountryCletus  Props to you sir! I’ll be looking for more of your stone cold lock picks in the future. 

The guy has a keen eye for roadkill, that’s for sure! 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

It was more about Peterman having a job while he didn't.

You inserted race into this yourself. 

You're as wrong as you can be.

Edit: I see your point and agree. I think people insert race in things when it's not warranted now. I reread the tweet to make sure I didnt misremember.

The media inserted race imo because how else do you get clicks out of EJ at that point. My bad, you're not completely wrong but I do disagree with the characterization of that tweet.

Edited by Ol Dirty B

1 hour ago, Ol Dirty B said:

It was more about Peterman having a job while he didn't.

You inserted race into this yourself. 

You're as wrong as you can be.

Edit: I see your point and agree. I think people insert race in things when it's not warranted now. I reread the tweet to make sure I didnt misremember.

The media inserted race imo because how else do you get clicks out of EJ at that point. My bad, you're not completely wrong but I do disagree with the characterization of that tweet.

I think you're right about that ... EJ didn't expressly mention race, but it was taken as such by other commenters.

By the way, my final example of guys who have a job -- my Example F -- is none other than Matt Barkley. If there's one guy who clearly has a poorer body of work than EJ, it's Barkley, and Barkley is the one with a contract.

On 5/19/2019 at 12:40 PM, the skycap said:

Thank you St Doug for ruining the career of a young, capable QB

Sharp Football Analysis
http://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/blog/2015/how-a-rookie-head-coach-derailed-a-rookie-quarterback-then-vanished-with-4-million

Doug didn’t do him any favors, but he only could have hidden him just so long. 

EJ just didnt end end up having what it takes, unfortunately. I was disappointed too.  

On 5/19/2019 at 11:24 PM, The Frankish Reich said:

I think you're right about that ... EJ didn't expressly mention race, but it was taken as such by other commenters.

By the way, my final example of guys who have a job -- my Example F -- is none other than Matt Barkley. If there's one guy who clearly has a poorer body of work than EJ, it's Barkley, and Barkley is the one with a contract.

It’s not like Barkley has a job while Manuel got chased out of the league though. I’m seeing a lot of posts around here making it sound as if Manuel couldn’t find employment. He had just signed a deal with the Chiefs before retiring. Manuel chose to retire, he didn't fail to find a job. Lower tier guys can stick around for a long time as a backup. Manuel would have been given a chance to compete in KC. He chose to walk away. 

On 5/13/2019 at 5:47 PM, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....started his career with a pretty lousy set of circumstances in Bflo.....skill set and collegiate  body of work hardly equated to 1st round pick, with special thanks to Buddy Nix.....cannot discount work ethic but the kid had ZERO confidence at the NFL level.....he tried which is about as much as you can ask for......

I wish that I could've bombed out at a job, and walked away with several million $$$.