EJ Manuel Retires from NFL

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

what part of "somewhat a victim of circumstance" translates to franchise QB? If you think playing for Marrone and Hacket is not a bit of a circumstance for a QB we will have to disagree. The guy was decent his first year, made rookie mistakes sure..and then was .500 in his second year and gets benched. Orton comes in a goes 1 game over 500 with the same group..and wins with D just like EJ did.

And with certainty, EJ had one of the worst 5-minute stretches of football ever played by an NFL QB in London...but had the team in the lead with 4 minutes to play. That was basically his last action in the NFL

I don't think EJ was ever going to be a quality starting QB in this league..but he is a damn site better than i would think then half the backups.

Didn't EJ start a late season game against Jets in 2017?   He was so bad that he got benched for Cardale Jones.

I will remember EJ as an exemplary teammate who tried his best under difficult circumstances and demonstrated strong character.

But mostly I will remember a visor wearing, locker room cancer, with disgusting body language.  Not a leader of men.

16 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

Didn't EJ start a late season game against Jets in 2017?   He was so bad that he got benched for Cardale Jones.

arhh..yes you are prolly right. The game Rex refused to bench Taylor( with his $18M injury guarantee and sore knee)  gets fired, and we get the Whaley presser that doomed him to0!!!

Did Cardale stick with the Chargers?

2 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Marrone and Hacket were idiots they way they handled the offense during EJ's rookie season.  

What idiot runs a Hurry Up Offense with a "Raw" Rookie then departs from it when a veteran comes in when the rookie got hurt only to return to it when EJ came back repeat one more cycle.  

Wait ...  I already gave the answer  Dagnabbit!!! 

Not to mention, Hackett was a rookie OC who (along with Marrone) eschewed hiring a QB coach for that raw 1st round rookie, who was backed up by journeyman Thad Lewis and UDFA rookie Jeff Tuel.   

31 minutes ago, dpberr said:

EJ Manuel and CJ Spiller to me are cautionary tales about picking athletes instead of football players high in the draft.  Both guys were phenomenal athletes but both could not grasp the complexity of the game of football.

The college game has a lot to do with players not being ready for the NFL. 

Someone mentioned above that EJ really only trusted himself on the field.  It showed when he wouldn't throw receivers open and looked mainly for point targets.  That works in the college game sometimes and with superior talent.  Not so much in the NFL. 

18 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

arhh..yes you are prolly right. The game Rex refused to bench Taylor( with his $18M injury guarantee and sore knee)  gets fired, and we get the Whaley presser that doomed him to0!!!

Did Cardale stick with the Chargers?

He’s on the practice squad

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, prissythecat said:

Why do you think EJ retired?   I seem to recall reading here that the genius that is Andy Reid would finally unlock EJ's vast potential .

I looked at KCs roster yesterday and before EJ retired they had 6 QBs on it.

I don't think they had a lot of confidence in him and he probably didn't think he would make the team.

Wish EJ the best but I was done with him after the 2nd year.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

All I have to say to this is, thanks a LOT Buddy Nix!

Ever wonder what would have happened if Nix does not get pranked and recorded? Maybe EJ still gets drafted, but Fitz doesn't get cut, Fitz outplays him.....and???

Somewhere along the line, EJ developed the worst case of the YIPS I've ever seen from an NFL QB. Probably a combination of personal mindset, hard coaching, and a realization that he wasn't good enough.

I don't think it's all that complicated with EJ. Marrone/Hackett/Lewis/Tuel/Whaley/Orton etc. People have these intricate storylines that lead to his downfall, but I don't think any of it would have made a difference. You either have it or you don't and EJ didn't. Kind of cliche, but he does seem like a good kid so I wish him well.

Edited by LSHMEAB
  • Like (+1) 2

Going forward, not sure how many years EJ could have stayed on a roster as a backup, but if I was him, I would have milked it for every last penny.  Even at a mil or two per year, what a great gig.  Train your ass off, be a good guy in the QB room, etc....

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

I was waiting for this response. I and so many other fans feel vindicated today. The never ending threads and arguments about his playing time “he hasn’t had a full 16 games yet (in year 3)”, “if it wasn’t for the slippery mat, he wouldn’t have been thrown to the wolves”, “he’s smart with the football and is threat to run” and many other excuses for a mid 1st Rd pick that simply sucked. The arguments were endless because ‘my kind’ saw very early on he just doesn’t have ‘it’. The last road game I attended was his shartshow against the Texans where he singlehandedly refused to win, giving the game to the Texans. Marone benched him the following game for Orton and EJ was finished. Should have retired that day. 

Nice post, but I’m not sure I would call it ‘vindication’, as least not for me. As is usually the case, it’s not really about the player and it’s not really about being right. It’s about a very vocal minority being very WRONG and reminding them just how wrong they were.

Happy trails EJ, we will always have London. :beer:

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LSHMEAB said:

Somewhere along the line, EJ developed the worst case of the YIPS I've ever seen from an NFL QB. Probably a combination of personal mindset, hard coaching, and a realization that he wasn't good enough.

I don't think it's all that complicated with EJ. Marrone/Hackett/Lewis/Tuel/Whaley/Orton etc. People have these intricate storylines that lead to his downfall, but I don't think any of it would have made a difference. You either have it or you don't and EJ didn't. Kind of cliche, but he does seem like a good kid so I wish him well.

That was my take on it.  He may never have been able to take on the mantle of a genuine NFL starting QB, but people forget that he didn't come into the league threatening innocent hospitality tents and actually showed flashes his first year.  For those unfamiliar with Yips

19 minutes ago, Rico said:

Nice post, but I’m not sure I would call it ‘vindication’, as least not for me. As is usually the case, it’s not really about the player and it’s not really about being right. It’s about a very vocal minority being very WRONG and reminding them just how wrong they were.

Happy trails EJ, we will always have London. :beer:

Whenever you got a guy who says "it's not really about being right, its about telling you how wrong you are"......it's about him being right.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That was my take on it.  He may never have been able to take on the mantle of a genuine NFL starting QB, but people forget that he didn't come into the league threatening innocent hospitality tents and actually showed flashes his first year.  For those unfamiliar with Yips

Whenever you got a guy who says "it's not really about being right, its about telling you how wrong you are"......it's about him being right.

Sometimes. I just like laughing at posters who can’t tell the forest from the trees, that’s all. If it wasn’t for Bills-Fan-4-Ever (or whatever his name was), EJ wouldn’t have gotten half the abuse he did in here. 

18 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

EJ is perhaps the worst selection ever by the Bills from the past decade.  I’m not just basing this on his NFL career which was less-than-stellar from all accounts.

Last decade?  Not even close.  Aaron Maybin in 2009.

18 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

However EJ just did not have the talent to be selected in Round 1.  He was a 3rd or 4th round QB projected to be a backup/spot start which is what his career ultimately turned out to be.

It was malfeasance by Buddy Nix and Doug Whaley to neglect the QB position as long as they did.  It forced them to draft a QB in a class of terrible QB prospects.  However rather than waiting to take EJ in Round 3, they make the foolish decision to announce him as a 1st round pick.

Buddy Nix was the GM who neglected the QB position "as long as he did".  While we'll never know who led the 2013 draft board, it's quite revisionist to make Whaley responsible for neglecting to draft a QB with a reasonable shot to become a starter during the years Nix was GM.

The reason Nix/Whaley overdrafted EJ is reputed to be because they wanted to draft a QB in the mid-rounds in 2012 and possibly 2011, and the QB they wanted didn't last until the round where they had him slotted.  The reason I believe this is because Nix was quoted in interviews after the 2012 draft and before the 2013 draft saying that if you want a QB you'd better over-draft him because he won't last until the spot where you have him valued.

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Last decade?  Not even close.  Aaron Maybin in 2009.

It still is amazing that Russ Brandon was our GM for that season........say that out loud.

And then he took Maybin who was in no way qualified to play professional football.