Flacco is not interested in mentoring Drew Lock

14 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Player gives honest answer to a question.  Good for him.  Don't rip a guy for giving an honest answer. 

It's not his job to be a mentor.  He was signed to be the starter.  If he was a third string bum like Anderson then maybe part of his job is to be a mentor.  But that is not the case in Denver.  They have a great defense and added weapons on offense.  He wants to win.  Good for him. 

Don’t know if you heard it yet but Anderson retired,  and why BUM ? There’s nothing wrong with being a mentor  Apparently he helped Allen  a lot to improve his game , 

Now I hate Portland 

10 hours ago, Gugny said:

The writer of the article is most at fault.  He made it look like a quote and it was not.  And in the process, made Flacco look like a total a-hole.  Even if the link was copied, the quote shows up. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/05/13/joe-flacco-im-here-to-win-games-not-be-a-mentor/

That's dirty, Bush League, crap.  And who the hell is Josh Alper??

No, he's not.

Writers don't write headlines. That's the copy editor's job. It's the headline, not the article, that tries to hook readers and write an unbelievably quick summary and in taking out the perspective makes a slightly inflammatory headline. In the article that quote is put in perspective. It's the copy editor and the OP who used the headline rather than the article's point.

And as for the "no QB should mentor" stuff, that's just as wrong. Pretty much every QBs should mentor. Not as priority one, of course, but the QB room, like every room, should work together for the benefit of the team. QBs get injured and if that happens, the new guy should hopefully be as ready as possible to step in and take over. That happens best when everyone is helping everyone else.

Edited by Thurman#1

2 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

No, he's not.

Writers don't write headlines. That's the copy editor's job. It's the headline, not the article, that tries to hook readers and write an unbelievably quick summary and in taking out the perspective makes a slightly inflammatory headline. In the article that quote is put in perspective. It's the copy editor and the OP who used the headline rather than the article's point.

And as for the "no QB should mentor" stuff, that's just as wrong. Pretty much every QBs should mentor. Not as priority one, of course, but the QB room, like every room, should work together for the benefit of the team. QBs get injured and if that happens, the new guy should hopefully be as ready as possible to step in and take over. That happens best when everyone is helping everyone else.

I know that, traditionally/historically, it would definitely be he copy editor and not the writer.  However, many publications have lessened the role of copy editors, or nixxed them, altogether.  Not sure if pft is one of them.  But I'm inclined to think it was a copy editor.

I think mentoring likely happens naturally, especially in the QB room.  I"m sure all starters and backups work together as a normal course of business.  I think the point Flacco is making is that a starting QB has a ton of work/preparation to do in order to just get HIMSELF prepared, let alone taking the time to teach a young guy.  Having the backup prepared should be the backup's responsibility; making sure a young guy is learning/grasping material is the coaching staff's responsibility.  JMO.

I don't blame him at all the guy is basically saying I am not ready to pack it in and ride off into the sunset. I think the Ravens were extremely stupid to get rid of him and go with Jackson I hope Flacco has an awesome year

• Haha (+1) 1

By being able to win a Super Bowl & lead a team to the play offs more than a couple of times it shows that the guy is a competitor & wants to be "The Guy" but as he rounds 3rd to head for home in his career he needs to be more of a team guy which could be part of the reason why he is no longer with the Ravens !

But i believe that Elway & company will give him every chance to once more be "The Guy" & if they think he wins that competition then he will have a legit chance to prove he can still do it but if not then he needs to help any way he can to get the rookie up to speed if he wants any chance at winning another ring before his curtain call comes around !! 

On 5/13/2019 at 7:55 PM, Mr. WEO said:

This whole "QB mentoring" stuff is a joke.  That's not Flacco's job, nor should it be.  

It's doesn't work that way.  It's a lazy cliche.

Agreed.  An angle that doesn’t ever get discussed regarding this type of thing is what the coaches want.  If I were the QB coach, OC or HC, then I’d probably want the rookie listening to us and asking us questions rather than asking the guy whose job he’s trying to take. 

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Like (+1) 2

17 hours ago, Augie said:

And they do today. I’m kidding because the ONLY way you got news back in the day was the newspaper. They are going the way of the slide rule and Kodak film for your camera. 

Given what passes off as "news" websites these days, that may still be true

The old veteran QB mentor thing is pretty much a myth, if you ask me. The closest you get is a guy like Derek Anderson who has been a career backup and never really played well enough to ever be a starter. So does it matter if you have a sub-par QB as a mentor when he has never been good?

All the good QB's want to be the guy, they don't want to help someone else be the guy. All the great QB's were probably lousy mentors.

4 hours ago, MJS said:

The old veteran QB mentor thing is pretty much a myth, if you ask me. The closest you get is a guy like Derek Anderson who has been a career backup and never really played well enough to ever be a starter. So does it matter if you have a sub-par QB as a mentor when he has never been good?

All the good QB's want to be the guy, they don't want to help someone else be the guy. All the great QB's were probably lousy mentors.

For sure. The whole thing is overrated. I think a QB coming into the league can pick up a few tricks from a vet, but he'll ultimately sink or swim on his own. 

If Lock is interested in learning from Flacco, he should just observe the way he conducts himself and approaches the game. Probably more to gain from sheer observation than chit chats. That's what QB coach's are there for.

I heard the comments and had no issue with them, it comes across quite different than the headline when you listen to it.   Is he threatened by the rookie in the first round?  Yes probably why would he not be.   He is a pro who has done a lot in this league and the rookie will have to be quite successful to accomplish what Flacco has.

On 5/13/2019 at 9:07 PM, Gugny said:

The writer of the article is most at fault.  He made it look like a quote and it was not.  And in the process, made Flacco look like a total a-hole.  Even if the link was copied, the quote shows up. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/05/13/joe-flacco-im-here-to-win-games-not-be-a-mentor/

That's dirty, Bush League, crap.  And who the hell is Josh Alper??

Gungy is correct.

Flacco does not appear to be hoarding info.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26761866/broncos-qb-lock-flacco-great-me

"He's taught me a lot so far," Lock told TMZ. "He's dealing with winning football games, I'm dealing with trying to learn. ... We're in the same quarterback room. He's been great to me."

Broncos Rookie Lock Doesn't Begrudge Flacco For His Comments

https://www.pro32.ap.org/article/broncos-rookie-lock-doesnt-begrudge-flacco-his-comments

"I think if any quarterback's main goal isn't focused on winning games, first off, it's not the quarterback you want on your team," Lock told The Associated Press in a phone interview Thursday.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/14/2019 at 10:41 AM, BarleyNY said:

Agreed.  An angle that doesn’t ever get discussed regarding this type of thing is what the coaches want.  If I were the QB coach, OC or HC Is probably want the rookie listening to us and asking us questions rather than asking the guy whose job he’s trying to take. 

Agreed.  I think you want to have a veteran for the rookie to model - how he prepares during the week, how he handles himself with the team during practice, in the huddle etc.

But you don't want the coaches saying one thing and the veteran saying another.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Agreed.  I think you want to have a veteran for the rookie to model - how he prepares during the week, how he handles himself with the team during practice, in the huddle etc.

But you don't want the coaches saying one thing and the veteran saying another.

Yeah.  I think it depends on that veteran’s roll with the team too.  A backup who has been around and knows that he’s there to be the backup and also mentor the highly drafted rookie is one thing.  A veteran who is brought in to be the starter or to compete to be the starter is another thing entirely.  His job is to prepare and win games, not help a rookie take his job.