Flacco is not interested in mentoring Drew Lock

25 minutes ago, Augie said:

Did he really? They say he’s smart, but.......smart comes in different forms. They also say he’s full of himself, but..........did he really??? 

Haha.  In his bio of Favre, "Gunslinger" Jeff Pearlman tells the story, which he claims was corroborated by a teammate:

Favre was alone, sitting in the team cafeteria and reading a newspaper, when Rodgers saw him in person for the first time. The new quarterback approached the old quarterback and uttered what will forever go down as the worst introductory line in the history of professional sports. "Good morning, grandpa!"  Silence.

However, Rodgers denies this.  He says he probably called Favre "Grandpa" at some point, but it wasn't when they first met.

So....did he really?  Who knows?

44 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Haha.  In his bio of Favre, "Gunslinger" Jeff Pearlman tells the story, which he claims was corroborated by a teammate:

Favre was alone, sitting in the team cafeteria and reading a newspaper, when Rodgers saw him in person for the first time. The new quarterback approached the old quarterback and uttered what will forever go down as the worst introductory line in the history of professional sports. "Good morning, grandpa!"  Silence.

However, Rodgers denies this.  He says he probably called Favre "Grandpa" at some point, but it wasn't when they first met.

So....did he really?  Who knows?

He was reading a newspaper? He’s not a grandpa, he was a dinosaur! I’m old, but a newspaper? Lol

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, syhuang said:

Joe Flacco: I’m here to win games, not be a mentor

I remember quite a few wanted Flacco especially two years ago to replace Tyron, I guess Flacco is not a process guy? ?

Ummmm...if I am a Head Coach, I don't want my starting QB to want to be a mentor either.  This is EXACTLY what I want in my starting QB.  Screw the young guy, go win games.  Its the coaches job to develop the young guy, not your veteran leader you are counting on to take you back to the playoffs.  Young guy learns by OBSERVING the veteran, not by the veteran teaching them hands on.    

Thats like asking a sick guy to plan his own funeral.  Screw that, go have fun and enjoy the twilight of your life and let everyone deal with the funeral.  

No veteran QB should ever be ready to roll over and play dead and coach someone up so they can take his job.  Has nothing to do with being a "process" guy, it has everything to do with Flacco being an NFL viable starting QB still, and in his case a Super Bowl winning QB to boot with some tread still on his tires.  This isnt like he was a career backup or incapable of being a starter anymore.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Nester said:

They still had newspapers back in 2005.

And they do today. I’m kidding because the ONLY way you got news back in the day was the newspaper. They are going the way of the slide rule and Kodak film for your camera. 

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Ummmm...if I am a Head Coach, I don't want my starting QB to want to be a mentor either.  This is EXACTLY what I want in my starting QB.  Screw the young guy, go win games.  Its the coaches job to develop the young guy, not your veteran leader you are counting on to take you back to the playoffs.  Young guy learns by OBSERVING the veteran, not by the veteran teaching them hands on.    

Thats like asking a sick guy to plan his own funeral.  Screw that, go have fun and enjoy the twilight of your life and let everyone deal with the funeral.  

No veteran QB should ever be ready to roll over and play dead and coach someone up so they can take his job.  Has nothing to do with being a "process" guy, it has everything to do with Flacco being an NFL viable starting QB still, and in his case a Super Bowl winning QB to boot with some tread still on his tires.  This isnt like he was a career backup or incapable of being a starter anymore.  

Unless you are a terminal short timer and some team inexplicably tosses you a bone (that's you Derek Anderson), you're absolutely right.

This was illustrated best by Favre when they drafted Rodgers.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Unless you are a terminal short timer and some team inexplicably tosses you a bone (that's you Derek Anderson), you're absolutely right.

This was illustrated best by Favre when they drafted Rodgers.  

EXACTLY.  Derek Anderson is the perfect example.  Had his shot at starting, couldn't hold it down, became a solid career backup and a quality veteran mentor on how to prepare as a young QB.  His literal value at the stage of his career is as a mentor, not a guy who is still a full time starter in this league trying to keep said rookie from taking his job.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

EXACTLY.  Derek Anderson is the perfect example.  Had his shot at starting, couldn't hold it down, became a solid career backup and a quality veteran mentor on how to prepare as a young QB.  His literal value at the stage of his career is as a mentor, not a guy who is still a full time starter in this league trying to keep said rookie from taking his job.  

Yup.  He helped Josh with the nuts and bolts:  how to watch pro film, how to run the huddle, the logistics of travel, managing his time, etc.

He doesn't need the now, so they can do away with "mentors" and let his coaches do their jobs.

• Like (+1) 1

Player gives honest answer to a question.  Good for him.  Don't rip a guy for giving an honest answer. 

It's not his job to be a mentor.  He was signed to be the starter.  If he was a third string bum like Anderson then maybe part of his job is to be a mentor.  But that is not the case in Denver.  They have a great defense and added weapons on offense.  He wants to win.  Good for him.