Hopefully you also feel this way (BN article)

Once, a dozen or so years ago, I was asked a question that I remember to this day.

"What is it with you Buffalo people?"

Susan Page, Washington bureau chief of USA Today, asked me this at a lovely party at her lovely home in Georgetown, a neighborhood I like to think of as Washington’s version of Allentown (not counting the seven-figure price tags).

The point of Susan’s question was simply this: Most media folk in Washington are from somewhere else, but you mostly don’t know where their somewhere else is. (Hers is Wichita, but I had to ask.) The exception to the rule, of course, are erstwhile Buffalonians who typically make fondness for their fair city a principal part of their public personae.

Susan pointed to Tim Russert, still with us at the time, as the pure embodiment of what she meant. There was never a need to ask Tim his hometown. Everyone knew. He made sure of it.

It’s like that with thousands of native Western New Yorkers who live elsewhere now. (I like to say we are temporarily misplaced rather than former Buffalonians.) Often we left not by choice but by circumstance, given the Rust Belt realities of decades gone by, long before today’s era of remarkable revitalization.

1 hour ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

But you’re missing all the ‘Smiles At’ galleries!

I think the BN actually thinks people will subscribe if they see themselves.

Edited by I am the egg man