Bills sign Lee Smith to 3-year deal -contract details released

7 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

lol  Rodak finally crawled out from under his rock with Breaking News

Was it becoming too obvious that all of the recent articles on the ESPN Bills page were pool reports discussing mostly other teams/players? :D

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

So if I'm reading this right, this year is pretty much all guaranteed, and $1M next year guaranteed? So a total of $4.5M? And only $1M past this year. Once again, leaves us flexibility should it not work out. 

• Like (+1) 1

Love reading all the nuclear hot takes from armchair coaches and GMs about a backup role player on a team with lots of cap space.  

Can football get here already?

*edit*

Like seriously, bitching about less than $3m/year being spent on a guy who fits our offense, that it "could be better spent elsewhere".  WHERE?  We're out of holes to fill and still have $20m+ to trade for big splash player upgrades.  I'm tired of idiots just flinging baseless complaints without offering the alternative they are so sure exists.  Sorry, rant over.

Edited by 1ManRaid
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 5/14/2019 at 6:42 PM, Niagara Dude said:

He does not,  waste of 9 millon,  you may ask why Raiders did want him back.  This is loser move,  caveman footballs loses all the time

Guess you didn't watch the Super Bowl, or any of the 2018 season, which saw NE and their run-first offense pound their way to a Lombardi trophy then, huh?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, 1ManRaid said:

Love reading all the nuclear hot takes from armchair coaches and GMs about a backup role player on a team with lots of cap space.  

Can football get here already?

*edit*

Like seriously, bitching about less than $3m/year being spent on a guy who fits our offense, that it "could be better spent elsewhere".  WHERE?  We're out of holes to fill and still have $20m+ to trade for big splash player upgrades.  I'm tired of idiots just flinging baseless complaints without offering the alternative they are so sure exists.  Sorry, rant over.

People keep acting like the Bills still have $100mil in cap space to spend next year.  It's not like they are back in cap jail or anything, but that number is down to $57mil per spotrac.  It will be somewhere in the high 30s / low 40s after accounting for Hughes, Knox, Smith etc.  But that's before 2020 rookies, or any of our 20-30 free agents who's contracts are up next year.  Leaving enough, but not nearly as much as people are acting like we'll have, to be moderate players in FA next year assuming we want to bring some of our own players back.    

If you want a specific example from someone "bitching" about where money could be better spent.. between Tyler Kroft and Lee Smith in 2019/2020 the Bills will spend a combined ~18mil on both players.  I would argue that DE #1 is at least as important as TE #2.  I'd have waited a year and offer that $18mil to Clowney next year who I think is more of a difference maker than Kroft/Smith.   If he's not available, then whoever the top DE, OLB, or WR that is..  $18mil will get you better FAs than Kroft/Smith.   And Lee Smith will NOT be the reason the Bills make the playoffs in 2019, sorry.  

And if you think this team is out of holes to fill, what about WR1 and DE?  OLB & RB next year.  And that's assuming you are correct that Tyler Kroft and Lee Smith are the long term franchise answer at TE.  I'd argue TE is still a need too.  And even that is assuming Allen is the answer at QB which we don't actually know yet.  

I never acted like I thought this signing is the end of the world, I just gave my opinion that I didn't like it.   I'd rather have seen the money go to a DE/WR/LB with more talent after roster cutdowns or in 2020 FA since you can roll over any left over money.   It felt like the Bills spent the off-season paying too much for below average TEs out of desperation.  We could have kept Clay for almost the same salary as Smith.  And say what you want, Clay is STILL better.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Adam727 said:

People keep acting like the Bills still have $100mil in cap space to spend next year.  It's not like they are back in cap jail or anything, but that number is down to $57mil per spotrac.  It will be somewhere in the high 30s / low 40s after accounting for Hughes, Knox, Smith etc.  But that's before 2020 rookies, or any of our 20-30 free agents who's contracts are up next year.  Leaving enough, but not nearly as much as people are acting like we'll have, to be moderate players in FA next year assuming we want to bring some of our own players back.    

If you want a specific example from someone "bitching" about where money could be better spent.. between Tyler Kroft and Lee Smith in 2019/2020 the Bills will spend a combined ~18mil on both players.  I would argue that DE #1 is at least as important as TE #2.  I'd have waited a year and offer that $18mil to Clowney next year who I think is more of a difference maker than Kroft/Smith.   If he's not available, then whoever the top DE, OLB, or WR that is..  $18mil will get you better FAs than Kroft/Smith.   And Lee Smith will NOT be the reason the Bills make the playoffs in 2019, sorry.  

And if you think this team is out of holes to fill, what about WR1 and DE?  OLB & RB next year.  And that's assuming you are correct that Tyler Kroft and Lee Smith are the long term franchise answer at TE.  I'd argue TE is still a need too.  And even that is assuming Allen is the answer at QB which we don't actually know yet.  

I never acted like I thought this signing is the end of the world, I just gave my opinion that I didn't like it.   I'd rather have seen the money go to a DE/WR/LB with more talent after roster cutdowns or in 2020 FA since you can roll over any left over money.   It felt like the Bills spent the off-season paying too much for below average TEs out of desperation.  We could have kept Clay for almost the same salary as Smith.  And say what you want, Clay is STILL better.  

Sure, the number is $57M right now, but that's before factoring in (1) cap increase, (2) rollover money, and (3) cuts.  If we suppose that the cap increase will offset Hughes' extension, then we're still looking at close to $15M in rollover money after in-season cap moves. You can recoup another $10M from cutting Trent Murphy and Spencer Long, both of which may make sense.

So you're still looking at around $80M in cap space.  More than enough to capitalize on a rich EDGE and WR FA market in 2020 and still have money left over to address depth at LB and TE.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/23/2019 at 7:16 PM, Adam727 said:

As expected, they will have close to 90mill in cap space next year as it stands today 

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

As expected, they will have close to 90mill in cap space next year as it stands today 

The cap is expected to go up 10-12 million as well, no? If so, than yes, we will be looking pretty close to the 100 million dollar range

Just now, BuffAlone said:

The cap is expected to go up 10-12 million as well, no? If so, than yes, we will be looking pretty close to the 100 million dollar range

They had previously been projected to have something like 112 before the most recent deals, so that’s likely the case 

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 5/26/2019 at 9:55 AM, YoloinOhio said:

FWIW, Spotrac has the Bills at $45mil cap space next year.  I don't know how Rodak came up with the $65mil number or who is correct, but I'm not seeing anything jumping out to me as wrong with Spotrac's numbers.   I hope the Bills will have $21mil to carry over, but my complaint was essentially I don't want to see them waste that money on stop gap players because I'd prefer it'd be available to carry over instead.  I hope you are right that they have 90 mil in cap space next year, that's exactly the scenario I was hoping they would wind up with.  But short of some big roster cuts I don't see how that's possible.  Especially if they sign a few more Lee Smith type contracts before the season starts.  

Edited by Adam727

4 hours ago, Adam727 said:

FWIW, Spotrac has the Bills at $45mil cap space next year.  I'm don't know how Rodak came up with the $65mil number or who is correct, but I'm not seeing anything jumping out to me as wrong with Spotrac's numbers.   I hope the Bills will have $21mil to carry over, but my complaint was essentially I don't want to see them waste that money on stop gap players because I'd prefer it'd be available to carry over instead.  I hope you are right that they have 90 mil in cap space next year, that's exactly the scenario I was hoping they would wind up with.  But short of some big roster cuts I don't see how that's possible.  Especially if they sign a few more Lee Smith type contracts before the season starts.  

Over the Cap has them at $73m before the Hughes contract. Which would mean they agree with Rodak. I haven't done enough comparison myself to see what the discrepancy is. 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Over the Cap has them at $73m before the Hughes contract. Which would mean they agree with Rodak. I haven't done enough comparison myself to see what the discrepancy is. 

Over the Cap has already built in the 2020 "expected increase" in cap to 200 million.  Spotrac hasn't.

Over the Cap doesn't have Lee Smith contract or Jerry new contract numbers yet.

Also for 2020 Cap Space numbers Over the Cap is only showing the top 51 whereas Spotrac is

showing Total Contracts (58) signed.

Personally I find Spotrac much more accurate and quicker to update recent moves than Over the Cap.