Bills sign Lee Smith to 3-year deal -contract details released

4 hours ago, TBBills Fan said:

Ok, here it goes, yes he is primarily a blocking TE and here is why its better than a OT:\

We can use him on running plays...obviously

Yes no one is scare of Lee smith burning you as a receiver, however in 2 TE sets, we can use play action and passing, keeping him in as a blocker and still pass...and if the opponent is keying it a run play because he is in we can simply pass the ball to a SKILL player that is also in the play. Just because he is on the field does NOT mean we wont pass...  This can be done via play action or by straight passing plays.

if he is running a route on said passing play someone still has to cover him...

so there is versatility on passing plays  as an added blocker or  receiver.....I expect to see him as an added blocker and Josh now gets extra time since Lee can block...a secondary benefit is in man coverage a defender has to account for him even when blocking

goaline situations, if we havent used him as a receiver dabol can design plays where he ends up wide open ala butch rolle....5 catches with 4 TDS type receiving production

Cant do that with an extra OT...when we want to go with that front we can bring in an extra OT

so yeah theres value

Decent post .

He has the exp to teach Sweeney and Knox by now as plus.

Edited by 3rdand12
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I hate this signing!  Especially for 3 years!  WTF Beane?  These reeks of Andre Holmes and Benjamin.  ***** I wanted to see what Sweeney could do.  Lets overpay for a 31 year old 1 dimensional TE, and sign him to 3 years.  

I love Beanes drafts, and his UDFA signings.  I don't like him signing KB, Vlad, etc

3 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

I have a favorite Lee Smith memory from his first tour here.  (I think this was Lee)   Lee is inactive (maybe hurt, I don't recall)  He is in shorts on the sideline during the game, and a Bills offensive guy breaks one down the Bills sideline.....Lee is running with him.....along the sideline.  He runs into an official standing out of bounds, and the Bills get flagged for "official interference"...something I had never heard of before or after.  Anyhow, I think that was LEE!!!  Not even active and he drew a bench penality for the Bills

Lee doesnt care WHO he blocks!

Refs be warned :P

26 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....nice assessment Yolo.....:thumbsup:.....so has he developed better skills versus his first trip through with 20 catches in 4 years where we could expect a minimal blend more so on receptions?...or.....is he forever THE blocking TE?.....

He seems to catch it when thrown to, just isn’t targeted much. 55/65 career catches/targets. 

Just now, John from Riverside said:

Lee doesnt care WHO he blocks!

Refs be warned :P

head on a swivel Zebras !!

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

He seems to catch it when thrown to, just isn’t targeted much. 55/65 career catches/targets. 

if defenses  do not stay diligent. he will catch it.

I think this bodes well for HB and PA.

he can still clear a zone. and if someone does not stick with him you make them think twice next play.
But he is likely here to mentor pass block and protect Allen.

Good second level blocker obviously ; )

thanks for the Lee on Lee viddy ^^

4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Yea the fact that's it's 3 years makes 0 sense. None. 

Give him a 1 year deal so when he's basically useless when they aren't running the ball you aren't stuck with him. 

Just a real head scratcher. But this regime has had their fair share of those in regards to offensive decisions. 

depends on the contract doesn't it ?
guaranteed monies etc

2 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Time to get rid of the DiMarco. He isn't even good at being a FB let alone the fact that FBs are useless. Still a role for a blocking TE. 

Blocking tight ends are going the way of the fullback in that it is so heavily niche and only useful in a small amount of scenarios. Outside of short yardage, goal line, and maybe some early down running situations there really isn’t a need for a blocking tightend in the modern NFL. Passing downs, early downs, and almost any intermediate situation a blocking tight-end is inefficient and will not be on the field. Lee Smith isn’t worth this contract even if he is the best at what he does because what he does isn’t on the field a lot. 

8 hours ago, Mark80 said:

McBeane on the forefront of a game revolution.  Starting offense - 1 QB, 2 HBs, 8 TEs.  Who's gonna be prepared to stop that?

Zebras.

8 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Haha. Apparently, he’s a great teammate.  All I remember from his time here is us calling a perfect pass play at the goal line and him tripping on his feet and blowing an easy td.

if you combine all of our TEs, would they even have 1,000 yards?  I’m glad they are trying to improve the position but it’s like they are just shopping at the dollar store. 

When they start shopping in the 5 and dime store you have a chance.

They have Tom Brady.  They also had the best TE of their generation.  You don’t see the difference when you line up Gronk, who can do everything, vs Lee Smith?

I am sure Lee Smith can learn to make cheap shots if required.

Haha.  You’re right.  This might be the year he tops 80 yards in a season.  But the Raiders are definitely a team I point to as being one I want to idle myself after.  

Like I said, I heard he’s a great guy.  And props to him for getting checks for so long with such average talent.  But lee smith’s Are a dime a dozen.

You are confused, you said Bills shopped in dollar shop and now you are saying he is available in 5 and dime store like you.

2 hours ago, Spiderweb said:

I recall Smith negatively when he was here before. Slow lunbering TE with bad hands and seemed to get as many penalties as he did good blocks. Not a fan at all of this signing.

So 56 catches on 66 targets over 8 yrs is bad hands? I couldnt find anywhere that he credited with any drops. 

7 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I asked in the other thread and still haven’t gotten an answer. Can someone please explain to me the advantage of a “blocking TE” as opposed to an extra tackle? No one is scared of Lee Smith in the passing game so he’s pretty much there to block. He’s not as good at blocking as an OT.  

I explained in another thread.  He is not as good as OL at straight blocking but you see Lee Smith down the field blocking for WRs and RBs (Probably other TEs but not seen on film).  He is very good pass blocker as well (from BN: In 61 pass-blocking snaps, he was charged with allowing one sack).  He is also good on plays which develop out of backfield where he needs to support back coming out of it on tosses.

7 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I believe it was Limeaid posted — 

Smith is a lot more mobile than most guards/tackles and will be blocking down the field for WRs/RBs when most guards/tackles would be left behind.  That is why you sign a TE like him rather than use an extra OL on play. 

When he is targeted he usually catches the ball (56/66) with 7 TDs - not many guards/tackles can do that.

That is correct.

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Ditto. 

This is a head scratcher for me. 4 new OL on one 1 year deals and ‘never was’ TE on a 3 year?

He's there to block. To me, this is about the run game. It also tells me DiMarco might not be on the roster come September.

7 hours ago, bourbonboy said:

He was injured early (3rd or 4th game?) - he may not have had enough run-block snap to even qualify....

He was injured in 2016 but has played almost every other game since 2012.

Receiving & Rushing

Games Receiving Rushing Total Yds      
Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS Tgt Rec Yds Y/R TD Lng R/G Y/G Ctch% Y/Tgt Rush Yds TD Lng Y/A Y/G A/G Touch Y/Tch YScm RRTD Fmb AV
Career       107 66 66 56 392 7.0 7 30 0.5 3.7 84.8% 5.9               56 7.0 392 7 0 4
4 yrs BUF     56 34 25 20 144 7.2 3 28 0.4 2.6 80.0% 5.8               20 7.2 144 3 0 1
4 yrs OAK     51 32 41 36 248 6.9 4 30 0.7 4.9 87.8% 6.0               36 6.9 248 4 0 3
2011 24 BUF te 85 10 3 4 4 11 2.8 0 6 0.4 1.1 100.0% 2.8               4 2.8 11 0 0 0
2012 25 BUF te/wr 85 16 7 4 4 13 3.3 2 5 0.3 0.8 100.0% 3.3               4 3.3 13 2 0 0
2013 26 BUF fb/TE 85 16 14 9 5 78 15.6 0 28 0.3 4.9 55.6% 8.7               5 15.6 78 0 0 1
2014 27 BUF TE 85 14 10 8 7 42 6.0 1 18 0.5 3.0 87.5% 5.3               7 6.0 42 1 0 0
2015 28 OAK TE 86 15 15 13 12 70 5.8 1 17 0.8 4.7 92.3% 5.4               12 5.8 70 1 0 1
2016 29 OAK te 86 4 4 6 6 29 4.8 0 12 1.5 7.3 100.0% 4.8               6 4.8 29 0 0 0
2017 30 OAK TE/wr 86 16 9 11 8 76 9.5 0 21 0.5 4.8 72.7% 6.9               8 9.5 76 0 0 1
2018 31 OAK te 86 16 4 11 10 73 7.3 3 30 0.6 4.6 90.9% 6.6               10 7.3 73 3 0 1

5 hours ago, Warcodered said:

I'm not even sure a FO move is even official without his seal of disapproval.

Sure there is.  P*ts FO.  He and WEO are a pair.

5 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Front loaded deals are player friendly, not team friendly.  That is because they pay out money more quickly than back loaded deals of the same total contract value.  That means that if released before the end of the deal, the player will make more money per season than the average across the whole deal.  Star has a deal like this.  So did Clay.  Lee Smith’s contract is not huge, so it isn’t THAT big of a deal.  But we still are overpaying for a 31 year old TE who is only good at run blocking - even if he is very good at it.  I just don’t see much value in TEs who aren’t productive receivers, which is what I’m really having an issue with here.  8 seasons, 392 yards and 7 TDs.  Those are totals, people, not yearly averages.  Ugh. 

HE is NOT only good at run blocking, he is good at pass blocking and occasionally blocking a football in TD.

Yes some have issues with value of blockers.