Bills sign Lee Smith to 3-year deal -contract details released

35 minutes ago, XABI64 said:

head scratching signing  

surely we moved on from singing players like Lee Smith. we've barely upgraded the TE position

So the Bills didnt sing Kroft and draft Knox in the third? Lee is being strutted out as the primary TE that we will utilize in all situations?

1 hour ago, frostbitmic said:

The last time he was here I vaguely remember him getting a 15 yard personal foul penalty while standing on the sideline ... Good times.

...not to mention 20 catches in his 4 year Bflo career....prolific.....

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, BillsFan17 said:

So the Bills didnt sing Kroft and draft Knox in the third? Lee is being strutted out as the primary TE that we will utilize in all situations?

Its hard to upgrade from 0 TDs and 8 mill dollar Hands of Clay ?

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

In fairness, Lee Smith has always had a much bigger market than fans have appreciated. 

Say more?

To me he's an incomplete player...when he's in the game, you know he's gonna block, but he's not (or at least I didn't think he was) that great shakes as a blocker.

Do you see him as having developed during the last 4 years in Oak or ??

He's 32, and 3 years is a pretty long time.

• Like (+1) 3

47 minutes ago, XABI64 said:

head scratching signing  

surely we moved on from singing players like Lee Smith. we've barely upgraded the TE position

"we" probably thought it was a good idea to have some veteran in the young TE locker room.....and a guy who has had some success at his position at that.

that is probably what "we" were thinking......oh by the way "we also signed another vet te and "we drafted 2 TE's in this draft

Will just repeat my earlier post in the other TE thread

Maybe Beane wants to field 11 TEs on the field on offense at the same time.

Enough with the TEs already!!

This is in no way an attack on Moral Stephens. Just want register a protest on the MoraLEEty of signing yet another TE.

8 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

This reminds me of the DiMarco move. Paying a premium for a niche position that becomes less and less relevant as the years go by. 

Not sure if you’re an All 22 film guy or not but if you go back and watch our TEs blocking and then watch Lee Smith blocking it is much different. With how bad our O line was last year we could use all the help we can get 

21 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Say more?

To me he's an incomplete player...when he's in the game, you know he's gonna block, but he's not (or at least I didn't think he was) that great shakes as a blocker.

Do you see him as having developed during the last 4 years in Oak or ??

He's 32, and 3 years is a pretty long time.

If you think that the most important part of TEs play is their ability play receiver, you are going to hate Lee Smith.  If you think TEs ability to block is as important, if not more, than you will love Lee Smith. 

Last time he was here, half the fan base wanted to see him cut.  But he has never had a problem finding work, and always for more money than this fan base would expect.  

I have always thought that Lee Smith, and guys like him that are better blockers than anything else, are illustrative of just how much NFL fans do not understand the TE position. I think there is a perception that TEs are just tall receivers.  But they aren't; they are so much more. 

8 minutes ago, End The Drought said:

anyone who is questioning this signing needs to read this article and watch some of the clips

Great article and some sweet blocking clips.  Showing some tough assignments and some solid work done by Lee.   

As for Lee telegraphing what we're doing, well It's a combination of both playcalling and being a good team.  A good team wins by running/passing the ball even if the defense knows it's coming.  We weren't a good team before.   Here's to us becoming one.

As somebody else said, we got the best case of what Fisher hoped to become by someone who has already done it.

19 minutes ago, End The Drought said:

Not sure if you’re an All 22 film guy or not but if you go back and watch our TEs blocking and then watch Lee Smith blocking it is much different. With how bad our O line was last year we could use all the help we can get 

There were people saying that DiMarco could be a valuable piece given his versatility and blocking. I haven't seen much impact from DiMarco and while I don't doubt that there is a niche use for a blocking tight end but it seems like a position with limited utility in an increasingly more spread and passing oriented league. 

I don't doubt the need for an upgrade to the blocking TE position but it seems like a position that is fairly easy to find at a much cheaper cost and a position that is more of a niche that has limited use. 

2 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

There were people saying that DiMarco could be a valuable piece given his versatility and blocking. I haven't seen much impact from DiMarco and while I don't doubt that there is a niche use for a blocking tight end but it seems like a position with limited utility in an increasingly more spread and passing oriented league. 

I don't doubt the need for an upgrade to the blocking TE position but it seems like a position that is fairly easy to find at a much cheaper cost and a position that is more of a niche that has limited use. 

Time to get rid of the DiMarco. He isn't even good at being a FB let alone the fact that FBs are useless. Still a role for a blocking TE. 

If Beane and McDermott think Lee is an upgrade to what we had or have then I'm all in. I am more than willing to give this duo lots of LEEway on their personnel decisions because I simply like what is being built and how with these 2.

Lee never played under HC McDermott's system, and McDermott has a way of getting more out of players like Lee.