Bills sign Lee Smith to 3-year deal -contract details released

We paid a little too much but we have the money. I hated Lee Smith when he was here  before because we often ran an incredible three-TE offense, none of whom were a threat.

With Kroft as the dual TE, Knox as the lock receiving TE, and "I don't cut" Smith as the blocking TE, we are not in bad shape. I always thought Croom was gone after we drafted Knox. Now either Sweeney is the fourth TE or goes to the PS. Makes sense.

I'm sure Bobby Johnson played a huge role in this and McD loves him some locker room presence.

15 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

The last time he was here I vaguely remember him getting a 15 yard personal foul penalty while standing on the sideline ... Good times.

i remember always sarcastically saying...

a penalty waiting to happen

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Nick the Greek said:

Kroft, Lee Smith, Croom, 2 draft picks.. seems like a lot. Who’s gonna play? I gotta think someone is getting cut. 

The contract is front loaded with money over the first 2 years.. so I’m looking at it as a 2 year deal with an option to keep him for 3. I think that’s team friendly.

Front loaded deals are player friendly, not team friendly.  That is because they pay out money more quickly than back loaded deals of the same total contract value.  That means that if released before the end of the deal, the player will make more money per season than the average across the whole deal.  Star has a deal like this.  So did Clay.  Lee Smith’s contract is not huge, so it isn’t THAT big of a deal.  But we still are overpaying for a 31 year old TE who is only good at run blocking - even if he is very good at it.  I just don’t see much value in TEs who aren’t productive receivers, which is what I’m really having an issue with here.  8 seasons, 392 yards and 7 TDs.  Those are totals, people, not yearly averages.  Ugh. 

I think something that is being missed is that this signals Daboll's intention to commit to the deep passing game.  Sure, Lee Smith is great for run blocking.  But what I really see is that they are committed to having a lot of max-protection.  This works with the run game, obviously, since it is mixed with play action.  

I really don't think having Lee Smith on the field signals a guaranteed run play. 

4 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

I think something that is being missed is that this signals Daboll's intention to commit to the deep passing game.  Sure, Lee Smith is great for run blocking.  But what I really see is that they are committed to having a lot of max-protection.  This works with the run game, obviously, since it is mixed with play action.  

I really don't think having Lee Smith on the field signals a guaranteed run play. 

I mean it's really up to the OC if they do their job right assume it's a run at your own peril if they don't then yeah it becomes predictable.

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Like others have said, you're adding leadership by example to the tight end room.

You're also adding a guy who can show these youngsters (Knox, Sweeney, Moral) a thing or two about being an effective blocker.

Blocking Tight Ends are obviously not most football fans' favorite players, but they are quite valuable to both the run and the pass game. Lee Smith is a top 3 blocking tight end in the NFL. He may be the BEST blocking tight end in the NFL.

I see the final roster shaking out at that position thusly:

Kroft
Knox
Smith
Sweeney

It's not out of the realm of possibilities that Croom makes the roster and Sweeney goes to the practice squad.

S and Ks

S#$% Kickers

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Must've gave McDermott the body of Christ and then wrestled him with an easy victory.... only thing I can think of to warrant a 3 year deal.

Because religion and a background in wrestling are the primary criteria for drafting or signing players.

There are few narratives more tiring on this board....

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

Charles Clay must've really pissed off Brandon Beane

EDIT: PFF has him ranked as the 4th best graded TE last year fwiw

Can someone link that?  I have two PFF links for 2018 TEs.  5 best blocking and 10 best red zone, but he shows up on neither. 

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-ranking-the-nfls-top-five-blocking-tight-ends-in-2018

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-the-nfls-best-red-zone-tight-ends-in-2018

Lee Smith's penalty to snap count ratio was always around 1:2.  I'd expect it'll remain the same on go-round #2 with the Bills.

Signing him to that deal says a lot about how they feel about their TE group.

1 hour ago, BillsfanAZ said:

Just because a player gets released doesnt mean he cant contribute to another team. Clay signed pretty quickly with the Cards. I think your expectations are too high if you are expecting the Bills to sign star players with each signing. I know everyone was hoping for a trade for Rudolph but that prob isnt in the cards. 7 mil salary and he would prob want an extension seeing it may be his last contract. 

If the Patriots would have made this move Scott would be talking about how the Patriots play chess and everyone else is playing checkers.......lol

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, XABI64 said:

head scratching signing  

surely we moved on from singing players like Lee Smith. we've barely upgraded the TE position

Who's "we?"  Doug Whaley and Rex Ryan (paragons of personnel management) moved on from Lee Smith, not Beane and McDermott.

Now, if Beane had released him in 2017 and are now bringing him back, then I'd be concerned.