Bills sign Lee Smith to 3-year deal -contract details released

Even without knowing the details, this contract is not as bad as it first may seem.....Smith averaged $3 million/year in Oakland on his last contract, and that was signed 4 years ago. He was also PFF's #1-rated run blocking TE in 2015 (I could not find more recent stats).

While I think Knox can likely develop into a strong TE by year 2 or 3 (as has been mentioned in other threads, TX is a position that typically takes time to develop) , wouldn't be shocked to see him inactive at least the first month of the season.  So you start the year off with Croom, Kroft, and Smith.  Good chance a month into the season one of them gets hurt anyway, put him on IR, then start activating Knox.

5 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I asked in the other thread and still haven’t gotten an answer. Can someone please explain to me the advantage of a “blocking TE” as opposed to an extra tackle? No one is scared of Lee Smith in the passing game so he’s pretty much there to block. He’s not as good at blocking as an OT.  

I believe it was Limeaid posted — 

Smith is a lot more mobile than most guards/tackles and will be blocking down the field for WRs/RBs when most guards/tackles would be left behind.  That is why you sign a TE like him rather than use an extra OL on play. 

When he is targeted he usually catches the ball (56/66) with 7 TDs - not many guards/tackles can do that.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 9

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

The human holding penalty returns!

1 hour ago, Blokestradamus said:

8 holding penalties in his NFL career. If Lee is a penalty machine, that makes me a sex machine.

Yeah if only it were just the 10 yarders.

He had 4 personal fouls in 2017 (and 2 holdings).

In his first year with the Raiders he had 5 ***** false starts.:lol:

I don't know about your sex life but he sure as hell is a penalty concern.

The Bills were ALREADY the 6th most penalized team in the NFL for the 5th most yardage in 2018...........it was a problem and this doesn't help.

After running the ball inefficiently with him in the lineup the Bills got rid of him and then immediately lead the NFL in rushing with the most explosive run game for two years.........there isn't actual strong evidence that he impacts the success of your run game.    Not worth it.

4 minutes ago, bourbonboy said:

Even without knowing the details, this contract is not as bad as it first may seem.....Smith averaged $3 million/year in Oakland on his last contract, and that was signed 4 years ago. He was also PFF's #1-rated run blocking TE in 2015 (I could not find more recent stats).

He was not on PFF’s list of top 5 run blocking TEs last season. 

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-ranking-the-nfls-top-five-blocking-tight-ends-in-2018

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Saw Fisher as a possible TE/Hback.  Now definitely see Smith in this role.  So maybe DeMarco is odd man out?  Camp will tell.  New England and Alabama Offense need an HBack/FB/TE in backfield in run formations.  

I do like this though!

One must remember that Bobbie Johnson, Bills OLine coach was TE coach with Raiders for Lee's first 3 years in the Black Hole.

Edited by freddyjj
  • Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Fisher released 

Had 3 TDs last year. He isn’t targeted much, obviously. If you show me a big drop % then I agree he can’t catch. I don’t know what his drop % is. 

So it's kind of a 'Fisher Stevens' thing. The Bills cut Fisher and signed Stephens. That is the moral of the story...

image.jpeg.513c19b1e792a90969840c1924a0439e.jpeg

57 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I just don’t understand how this helps the running game.  You have a guy who is not a threat in the passing game so you just load up on the run when he’s on the field.  It’s like with Star.  You just spread the field and he can’t play/ is a non factor.  It’s not like Oakland had a good rushing attack.

i mean it’s a back up TE so it’s whatever.  But much like paying veteran 30 year old rbs, it’s not what smart teams would do.

While it's improved, still don't think the Bills have a very strong WR position group, so maybe we'll have a 2 TE offense out there most of the time, Smith and Kroft, plus Beasley, Brown.

Many are saying this spells the end for Croom. I'd think it may more mean the end for DeMarco.

Welcome back Lee!

Anyone else remember the last time he was here (under Marrone/Hackett), how predictable the playcalling was? 

Every run play, Smith was put on the field. Every passing play, they put Chandler out there. It got to the point that TV announcers were predicting the play by the personnel on the field. 

1 hour ago, cba fan said:

Lee can't catch.

Please phrase this in the accepted TBD-TSW method.  Either:

’No Lee can catch’,

OR

‘No, Lee can catch’.

It all hangs upon the comma.  Punctuation can save a career.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I just don’t understand how this helps the running game.  You have a guy who is not a threat in the passing game so you just load up on the run when he’s on the field.  It’s like with Star.  You just spread the field and he can’t play/ is a non factor.  It’s not like Oakland had a good rushing attack.

i mean it’s a back up TE so it’s whatever.  But much like paying veteran 30 year old rbs, it’s not what smart teams would do.

I think you might be getting a little too worked up over this and I don't mean that to sound like I'm calling you out (many seem to be annoyed). I honestly think we are picking up a guy that offers zero mystery. The Bills staff knows what he brings to the table and what he can't do. That is valuable to an offense that is loaded with question marks. Smith is going to be an example of how to work and do the ugly things. He wasnt much money either.

I don't think he will make much of a visible impact. At least to the fans he won't. The desire for teams to use him over the years is proof enough that he has value. 

Smith on the field doesn't signal run necessarily. He pass blocks as well as he run blocks. We may be running more two TE sets this season as well. The use of play action is also something that is going to be emphasized again. I'm not worried about the Xs and Os of it. In fact, I hope teams over play the run because we have some burners to play with. On any given Sunday the game plan can change. Smith allows for a different kind of game than some of our other TEs.

Crooms potential in my opinion is a dime a dozen. Every year free agency and the draft offer dozens of athletic TEs that have little impact. You can pick up 10 Crooms at any time.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Welcome back Lee!

Anyone else remember the last time he was here (under Marrone/Hackett), how predictable the playcalling was? 

Every run play, Smith was put on the field. Every passing play, they put Chandler out there. It got to the point that TV announcers were predicting the play by the personnel on the field. 

That was also the case for that staff regardless. First down run. Second down run. 3rd and 8 a 4 yard pass lol. 

They can put lee out there this year and playaction no problems. The speed on the team and Allen’s arm makes it a much deadlier offense than marrones. 

Daboll created some really great plays with last years offense if he wants to scare defenses from stacking the box with lee in the game he’ll scheme something scary for defenses 

• Like (+1) 2

Kroft, Lee Smith, Croom, 2 draft picks.. seems like a lot. Who’s gonna play? I gotta think someone is getting cut. 

2 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Wow.  A three year deal.  That seems like a lot.

The contract is front loaded with money over the first 2 years.. so I’m looking at it as a 2 year deal with an option to keep him for 3. I think that’s team friendly.