Bills sign Lee Smith to 3-year deal -contract details released

4 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

They have Tom Brady.  They also had the best TE of their generation.  You don’t see the difference when you line up Gronk, who can do everything, vs Lee Smith?

They had a shell of Tom Brady and gronk. They needed to run what you call an outdated offense to win. They Planned on running that outdated offense before the season started and look where it got them. If it won a Super Bowl last year is it really outdated?

Lee smith is going to be a sub package guy. He’s not going to be the starter or used anything like gronk. Trying to compare him to gronk is a weak argument. He’s here to help the run game. Our blocking was atrocious last year and needed upgrades. A good run game helps young QBs. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

All cool I guess. Was kinda hoping they would land Rudolph somehow, but he will help the running game.

I just don’t understand how this helps the running game.  You have a guy who is not a threat in the passing game so you just load up on the run when he’s on the field.  It’s like with Star.  You just spread the field and he can’t play/ is a non factor.  It’s not like Oakland had a good rushing attack.

i mean it’s a back up TE so it’s whatever.  But much like paying veteran 30 year old rbs, it’s not what smart teams would do.

24 minutes ago, Blokestradamus said:

8 holding penalties in his NFL career. If Lee is a penalty machine, that makes me a sex machine.

:lol:

Maybe it's just my selective memory, but I seem to recall his holding penalties wiping out way too many a great run in his days here.

Very underrated signing.  Thinking Fisher might be in trouble but we got a great complement to Kroft , Knox , Croom etc . Putting the finishing touches on that offense!

A Lee Smith type TE is very important to Dabol and we get a premiere blocking TE in the game. 

Great work!! His impact won't show on the stat sheet but he'll be valued in this scheme. Love the signing

57 minutes ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

Jake Fisher has to be feeling pretty bad about his chances of making the team.

Pegs has a couple of other daughters. Fisher best get to wooing...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

I just don’t understand how this helps the running game.  You have a guy who is not a threat in the passing game so you just load up on the run when he’s on the field.  It’s like with Star.  You just spread the field and he can’t play/ is a non factor.  It’s not like Oakland had a good rushing attack.

i mean it’s a back up TE so it’s whatever.  But much like paying veteran 30 year old rbs, it’s not what smart teams would do.

I've never been a fan of signing the Jason-Dunn-blocking-only-TE; I'd much rather play an extra tackle if I'm going to play a guy that I know is only a blocker.

• Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, Azucho98 said:

I don't see Croom going because he "can" be a weapon in the passing game....but you never know.

I would see Knoxx as the upgrade over Croom for the athletic/move TE. 

You then have Lee/Fisher as the blockers, and Kroft/Sweeney as the balanced.

If you are going to keep a 4th its probably the more balanced Sweeney but have to see how it plays out. 

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

Maybe it's just my selective memory, but I seem to recall his holding penalties wiping out way too many a great run in his days here.

I think Lee suffered with the fact that his holds were more noticeable than most because of that fact. Every single hold seemed to be on a 20+ yard gain.

I posted his penalty numbers back in the BBMB days and he's never been that heavily penalised on a per-snap basis. Perhaps his threshold is altered due to the lower likelihood of him providing big plays in the passing game to counteract them.

24 minutes ago, Lurker said:

No mention of how much that guaranteed money is, however.   If it's just a million or two, I'm thinking Smith could still be cut without too much trouble if lightning strikes and the young TEs have bang up training camps...

Says "front loaded" "guaranteed into year 2". on a 3 year and $9M that makes it sounds as if at least $3-$6M+ is guaranteed...

i've said it before this team wants to lead the league in rushing to help allen develop as a qb.  it's gonna be seattle style where we play big time defense, big time run game and allen throws for like 3400 yards.  just wearing down opposing defenses. 

1 hour ago, TheFunPolice said:

Mr. Croom isn't going anywhere

Show some respect to the future team owner! It's the HHH plan to run the company one day!

Then again, maybe the Owners want to remove a certain TE from the team and are "encouraging" the FO to find an alternative.  

21 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

He very well might.  But you couldn’t find another guy who is more of a threat?  Or just put in an extra o linemen?

I get it - fans hate blocking TEs and full backs they want skill guys.... but there is still some merit in them.

• Like (+1) 1