Bills sign Lee Smith to 3-year deal -contract details released

2 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Yeah, yeah, he can block..  Thing is though, we don’t know how Knox & Sweeney will turn out. We have an idea about Kroft. We’re all pretty excited to be done with the oft-injured, uninspiring, costly Clay. We DO know about Smith. We -and every team he’s played for- kicked him to the curb.

Yes, after his 4 years with us- he stuck with the Raiders for 4 years.  He's played for 2 teams.  Teams really can't wait to get rid of him...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 5

44 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

1 yr maybe but 3 is foolish. He'll be 32 in November.  Averages 8 catches for 75 yards? Odd signing. 

He's a blocking TE.

Considering what we've had at tight end and what is left on the market, I'll gladly take him on our roster. He fits what we want to do this coming season. Sure, he's not going to catch a ton, but we want to run and take our shots downfield as they present themselves. Allen is still only in his 2nd season and might not be totally ready to start slinging the rock at will. IF Lee is mauling for us on the running plays, then the play action will work really well, even knowing he's not a target. With him in the lineup and us controlling the ball, the defense will get caught guessing run a lot when play action is called. We have Kroft and Knox as our receiving TE's already. Two TE sets might be called a lot this year. Kroft or Knox taking a safety or LB with him on a route leaves Smith to do his dirty work and creating open running areas and he will hold up well in play action. I also trust Beane got a team friendly deal done.

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/sports/Smiths-Dirty-Work-Will-be-Missed-by-Raiders-396159961.html

'Lee Smith once was judged by Pro Football Focus, the analytics website, as the NFL’s best pass-blocking tight end, and he’s certainly contributed to the fact the Raiders have allowed quarterback Derek Carr to be sacked just twice this season. He’s also been a key player in the team’s No. 5 ranked rushing attack, too, that has generated 126.8 yards per game.'

Edited by Dopey
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

No mention of how much that guaranteed money is, however.   If it's just a million or two, I'm thinking Smith could still be cut without too much trouble if lightning strikes and the young TEs have bang up training camps...

Just now, blacklabel said:

Smith will be that one veteran guy they're trying to make sure they have in every room. I think they keep four and it'll be Kroft, Knox, Croom, and Smith, with Sweeney to the PS.

That’s really the biggest thing to me imo. They have a lot of TEs but they are mostly young and inexperienced players at the position. TE is a very difficult position to learn in the NFL and rookies rarely make an early impact. Kroft wasthe only vet, but even he is relatively inexperienced since he’s been mostly a backup and missed a lot of games due to injury. They really needed someone who knows what he’s doing in the blocking game. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Dopey said:

Considering what we've had at tight end and what is left on the market, I'll gladly take him on our roster. He fits what we want to do this coming season. Sure, he's not going to catch a ton, but we want to run and take our shots downfield as they present themselves. Allen is still only in his 2nd season and might not be totally ready to start slinging the rock at will. IF Lee is mauling for us on the running plays, then the play action will work really well, even knowing he's not a target. With him in the lineup and us controlling the ball, the defense will get caught guessing run a lot when play action is called. We have Kroft and Knox as our receiving TE's already. Two TE sets might be called a lot this year. Kroft of Knox taking a safety or LB with him on a route leaves Smith to do his dirty work and creating open running areas and he will hold up well in play action. I also trust Beane got a team friendly deal done.

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/sports/Smiths-Dirty-Work-Will-be-Missed-by-Raiders-396159961.html

'Lee Smith once was judged by Pro Football Focus, the analytics website, as the NFL’s best pass-blocking tight end, and he’s certainly contributed to the fact the Raiders have allowed quarterback Derek Carr to be sacked just twice this season. He’s also been a key player in the team’s No. 5 ranked rushing attack, too, that has generated 126.8 yards per game.'

If he is that good, why wasn’t he scooped up in FA before now...enquiring minds want to know?

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

That’s really the biggest thing to me imo. They have a lot of TEs but they are mostly young and inexperienced players at the position. TE is a very difficult position to learn in the NFL and rookies rarely make an early impact. Kroft wasthe only vet, but even he is relatively inexperienced since he’s been mostly a backup and missed a lot of games due to injury. They really needed someone who knows what he’s doing in the blocking game. 

Accurate. Kroft had been their longest-tenured TE with four seasons under his belt but the rest of the gang is inexperienced. Croom started college as a wide receiver, Jake Fisher played tackle until this year, Knox played QB in high school which actually gives him an advantageous understanding of the position, and then he and Sweeney are rookies. I gotta say, I like this group, I really do. Nothing flashy (yet, I have high hopes for Knox) but I think they've done well in addressing this area. 

28 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

This what worries me about this regime.  They seem to have outdated ways of thinking.  It’s liek signing Star.  Good at one thing, completely worthless if teams pass.  Smith is a glorified o linemen.  Why not just keep Fisher who can fill two roles?  

Cos Fisher sucks?

• Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, LabattBlue said:

If he is that good, why wasn’t he scooped up in FA before now...enquiring minds want to know?

He wasn’t a FA. He was just cut by the Raiders about a week or so ago. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Not all GM's are as smart as Beane?!?! Hell, I don't know! Seriously though, maybe a lot of GM"S are thinking they need field stretchers at TE. Smith is not that.

Edited by Dopey

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

Agreed.   It's a lock they keep four TEs now, which probably takes away the seventh slot for a WR.    They'll probably try to stash Sweeney on the PS for a year and see how he progresses for 2020...

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, LabattBlue said:

Because he's really "just another guy" that can do some things well but there's nothing he's exceedingly great at. Players like that will often  be replaced by a younger, cheaper option. Plus, Oakland is rebuilding so a lot of guys signed prior to the current front office are gonna be shown the door. Bills needed a guy with some veteran experience to help out the young group they have. He's probably a good locker room guy, too. 

46 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

all depends on the guarantee. a $500K signing bonus, with vet min guarantee, means a 1 year deal..and if he is good they have him locked up for the 2 more. If not, they cut him

Agreed, they have been smart about how they structure things, and I bet they didn’t get stupid here.