Could Ed Oliver play DE

On 5/13/2019 at 8:15 PM, billsfan89 said:

Oliver might be good as a 3-4 DE but in a 4-3 he probably wouldn't have the elite speed needed to work off the edge. Ed is a 287 pound dude who runs a 4.7 40. That's elite for a DT but that's fairly average speed for a DE. I could see the Bills shifting Ed around esp on goal line and short yardage packages to really hold the edge without giving up speed. But he is going to be rushing the passer from the intro 85% or more of the time. 

I disagree.  4.7 is a very good time for a DE.  Yes, there are guys that run a 4.5, but there are also DEs in the league who are up in the 4.9 range, and a lot in the 4.8 range.  The thing that makes Oliver so successful though is his burst off the line.  He beats the offensive lineman with an amazing first step, combined with effective hand fighting and DT strength.  Still, I have no desire to to see him moved to DE full time.  I think Buffalo will get increased production from their DEs simply because Oliver is causing disruption in the middle.

On 5/13/2019 at 9:40 PM, MrEpsYtown said:

Oliver was born to be a three technique though. 

I am no Xs and Os expert but literally everything I’ve read about Oliver says he is a perfect fit as the 3-tech in McD’s defense. Why would you want to mess with that?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

However. . .if the Bills should ever happen to switch to a 3-4, I'll bet Oliver could make a pretty seamless transition to a 5 tech defensive end.  I'm not advocating that, to be sure, but that could work pretty well.  He might ev en be able to play a rush linebacker in that scheme.

Edited by TigerJ

It would only possibly make sense if the Bills had another penetrating 3 tech DT, they don't.  I was just speculating if a DT like McCoy were on the team.  I look forward to seeing Oliver as a 3 Tech DT, but I think he would be good also as a DE, but there would be no reason to move him if there is no one to take his place as a 3 tech.  

On 5/13/2019 at 7:02 AM, richardb1952 said:

I am not an expert in this at all, but I see that Gerald McCoy might be available, and if so, would it be possible to move Oliver to 

DE sometimes and have a lineup consisting of Oliver, Totulelei, McCoy, Hughes.  Oliver is quick off the snap, I think he could hold his own on the edge and can certainly bring the pressure.  If such a lineup were possible, it would certainly add versatility to the lineup.  McCoy is interesting in that his salary for the next 3 years has no dead cap, he's still highly productive and would definitely make the DL better.  I think he could have been a target if the Bills didn't get Oliver.  If Oliver could play some DE, it might solve one of the areas of concern the FO has concerning a pass rushing DE along with Hughes.  

NO