Could Ed Oliver play DE

21 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

Physically he's capable of playing any position on the defense other than CB.

Moving him to the outside on a regular basis would probably be unwise - better to put him where he's most effective - but you could put him out there in certain rotation packages or if injuries necessitated it.

This is sort of insane right? 

• Awesome! (+1) 2

7 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Not sure why we’d mess with our prized rookie.  Let Oliver play where he projects best.  And the almost universal consensus is his best position is 3 Tech DT.  

Exactly.  Penetration on the interior is what disrupts guys like Brady and the Younger Manning who we play this year.  I live in Tampa, and although love McCoy, he is declined nag at a huge 11 mil salary.

I’d rather for the right price make a solid offer at Clowney.  I doubt it will happen, but would be a better choice if you’re goal is to add to the D Line.

He can, but he's not going to do it full time.  His versatility will enable the Bills defense to be very disruptive, but I just don't see Buffalo making a position switch like that.  What I can see is Shaq Lawson joining him on the interior on obvious passing downs.

Oliver might be good as a 3-4 DE but in a 4-3 he probably wouldn't have the elite speed needed to work off the edge. Ed is a 287 pound dude who runs a 4.7 40. That's elite for a DT but that's fairly average speed for a DE. I could see the Bills shifting Ed around esp on goal line and short yardage packages to really hold the edge without giving up speed. But he is going to be rushing the passer from the intro 85% or more of the time. 

9 hours ago, chris heff said:

Why would you take a guy that excels at rushing up the middle and move him? Rushing up the middle is the shortest distance to the QB.

Absolutely...no doubt we need a good DE.

13 hours ago, richardb1952 said:

I am not an expert in this at all, but I see that Gerald McCoy might be available, and if so, would it be possible to move Oliver to 

DE sometimes and have a lineup consisting of Oliver, Totulelei, McCoy, Hughes.  Oliver is quick off the snap, I think he could hold his own on the edge and can certainly bring the pressure.  If such a lineup were possible, it would certainly add versatility to the lineup.  McCoy is interesting in that his salary for the next 3 years has no dead cap, he's still highly productive and would definitely make the DL better.  I think he could have been a target if the Bills didn't get Oliver.  If Oliver could play some DE, it might solve one of the areas of concern the FO has concerning a pass rushing DE along with Hughes.  

In some sub packages maybe but not very frequently. The shortest distance to the QB is from DT. If we want to exploit the twitch and Bull Rush moves to the max, need him as a 3 Tech.

14 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Not sure why we’d mess with our prized rookie.  Let Oliver play where he projects best.  And the almost universal consensus is his best position is 3 Tech DT.  

That is what I saw as a consensus view of him.

but fans like to make up whatever and think it’s genius

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

With his size/speed he can move around on the line. I expect to see him used creatively, including some plays at end.

I think he'll play a lot at the traditional DE position.  Just too good an athlete to box him in with the big bodies

20 hours ago, CuddyDark said:

In this defense it's better he play 3tech. People don't understand the LDE is not supposed to get sacks. He's supposed to protect the Weak backer from traffic and set the edge in the run game. If that player get 5-9 sacks it's a bonus. You want the pressure to come up the middle and from RDE, not off LDE.

This. Exactly this. 

Who here remembers Alan Branch in 2013? He was the least sexy name on a D-line that had Hughes, Dareus, Mario and Kyle, but he was still our base package LDE. 

We have LorAx and Yarborough to sub in for Lawson on nickel and dime packages. Let's not ruin a new player.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Stallions said:

I think he'll play a lot at the traditional DE position.  Just too good an athlete to box him in with the big bodies

keeping his weight up in the land of the behemoths was a problem for him

i look forward to this story unwinding this year!!

image.png.832754e19a9a906e85d88216709ebf90.png

Edited by row_33

On 5/13/2019 at 9:14 AM, GreggTX said:

That would not be wise. He doesn't have sufficient length toplay DE. He might make some plays there or at NT, but he'd be much more effective as a 3-gap DT.

Wow - a 3 gapper.  He is talented.

• Haha (+1) 1