Could Ed Oliver play DE

I am not an expert in this at all, but I see that Gerald McCoy might be available, and if so, would it be possible to move Oliver to 

DE sometimes and have a lineup consisting of Oliver, Totulelei, McCoy, Hughes.  Oliver is quick off the snap, I think he could hold his own on the edge and can certainly bring the pressure.  If such a lineup were possible, it would certainly add versatility to the lineup.  McCoy is interesting in that his salary for the next 3 years has no dead cap, he's still highly productive and would definitely make the DL better.  I think he could have been a target if the Bills didn't get Oliver.  If Oliver could play some DE, it might solve one of the areas of concern the FO has concerning a pass rushing DE along with Hughes.  

2 minutes ago, richardb1952 said:

I am not an expert in this at all, but I see that Gerald McCoy might be available, and if so, would it be possible to move Oliver to 

DE sometimes and have a lineup consisting of Oliver, Totulelei, McCoy, Hughes.  Oliver is quick off the snap, I think he could hold his own on the edge and can certainly bring the pressure.  If such a lineup were possible, it would certainly add versatility to the lineup.  McCoy is interesting in that his salary for the next 3 years has no dead cap, he's still highly productive and would definitely make the DL better.  I think he could have been a target if the Bills didn't get Oliver.  If Oliver could play some DE, it might solve one of the areas of concern the FO has concerning a pass rushing DE along with Hughes.  

With his size/speed he can move around on the line. I expect to see him used creatively, including some plays at end.

• Like (+1) 2

With his size and length he would not project there. However, he does have a lot of speed off the snap. I don't envision this scenario happening, but I could see him rushing from other positions in sub packages. Oliver was born to be a three technique though. 

• Like (+1) 8

I have watched and admired McCoy's play quite a bit over the years. At this stage of his career, I believe he's far more valuable in the locker room than on the field. He should stay and retire a Buccaneer. 

10 minutes ago, gjv001 said:

I have watched and admired McCoy's play quite a bit over the years. At this stage of his career, I believe he's far more valuable in the locker room than on the field. He should stay and retire a Buccaneer. 

There is talk he might be traded or released because TB doesn't have enough cap to pay their incoming draft class.  They also have Jason Pierre Paul who is a DE with 2 years left on his current deal, cost about 27 million for the 2 yrs.  I haven't seen him mentioned as a possible trade/ release yet but maybe something could be worked out between Bills/ TB if Bills see that as a solution.  Also, McCoy is only 31 so he still has some good years remaining.

18 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Not sure why we’d mess with our prized rookie.  Let Oliver play where he projects best.  And the almost universal consensus is his best position is 3 Tech DT.  

3 Tech DT is definitely his best position, but his skill set is very unique as a DT such that it might also translate to DE.  

12 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

A new variation:  Have him standing at MLB counting ‘one Mississippi, two Mississippi...’  Sheer genius!

But in honor of the region he will count One Niagara, two Niagara, etc.  He’ll get to the QB a bit faster this way also.  

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

With his size and length he would not project there. However, he does have a lot of speed off the snap. I don't envision this scenario happening, but I could see him rushing from other positions in sub packages. Oliver was born to be a three technique though. 

I agree with you.  Given his salary, I doubt that the Bills are in the market for Gerald McCoy.  I envision the D-line in passing situations being Hughes, Oliver, Lawson at d-tackle, and either Murphy or Alexander at D-end.  The price to acquire and pay McCoy is probably too high when there may be more pressing needs.  I was in Indianapolis last week and there is talk there that the Colts may have an interest and a need for McCoy.  They also have the cap space to take him.  If he is made available, it could develop into competing bids which would drive up the cost to get him.  I don't see Beane being interested in that scenario.

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, richardb1952 said:

There is talk he might be traded or released because TB doesn't have enough cap to pay their incoming draft class.  They also have Jason Pierre Paul who is a DE with 2 years left on his current deal, cost about 27 million for the 2 yrs.  I haven't seen him mentioned as a possible trade/ release yet but maybe something could be worked out between Bills/ TB if Bills see that as a solution.  Also, McCoy is only 31 so he still has some good years remaining.

3 Tech DT is definitely his best position, but his skill set is very unique as a DT such that it might also translate to DE.  

yeah, no. JPP recently hurt his neck in a car crash and there are conflicting Dr. opinions on whether or not he should have surgery. he is damaged goods, we will not be trading for him at this point (if it ever was a real possibility).

In this defense it's better he play 3tech. People don't understand the LDE is not supposed to get sacks. He's supposed to protect the Weak backer from traffic and set the edge in the run game. If that player get 5-9 sacks it's a bonus. You want the pressure to come up the middle and from RDE, not off LDE.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Not sure why we’d mess with our prized rookie.  Let Oliver play where he projects best.  And the almost universal consensus is his best position is 3 Tech DT.  

He spent enough time playing out of position in college. Let’s see what he can do at his natural position. 

1 hour ago, richardb1952 said:

JPP is out indefinitely.

My real hope is that Lawson and Murphy play lights out and there would not be a reason to consider moving Oliver sometimes to DE.  It appears to be a concern to the Bills organization as they appeared to be real interested in Ansah.  Getting McCoy and having Oliver play DE sometimes in obvious passing downs was just a thought to maybe get  the best four on the DL on the field, especially when McDermott like to apply pressure from the front four.  Obviously, without McCoy, there would be no reason to move Oliver to DE because no one else on the team right now can generate the kind of pressure that Oliver can at the 3 tech.  With someone like McCoy, who is a 6 time pro bowler, we would have a 3 tech that could generate pressure up the middle and if Oliver could rush the passer from the DE position, Bills could make it very difficult for opposing offenses.  Just my thoughts.  Also, McCoy would cost 13 million this year but Bills could afford that and there is no dead money involved so if it doesn't work out, he can be released with minimum cost to Bills.