May Movies: Aladdin, Godzilla, John Wick & Rocketman

Booksmart was boring.

I know it was marketed as a movie "for women, about women", but critics said it was like Superbad, only better.

Don't even bother renting this movie. Maybe when it makes it to cable, and you can't find the remote to change the channel.

• Haha (+1) 1

Went to see Aladin last weekened with my wife.  I though it was pretty good.  Fun movie...colorful...the setting had kind of the 'wish you could be there' feeling too it.  I know it is getting some bad reviews...and it isn't an Oscar winner but I though it above average.

On 5/28/2019 at 1:27 PM, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

I saw Rocketman last weekend for a one night only advanced screening. Soundtrack is phenomenal. The storytelling is a bit weird, its more of a musical where they break out into song. Great movie though. Gay sex scene was a bit more graphic than I would have asked for (I feel this way about 90% of sex scenes), but I really enjoyed it.

I thought it was a great big POS myself. I'm not an Elton John fan though, especially as a person, , but I do like most of his hits. When the end credits rolled and I saw he was executive producer, I said "yep."... very self-indulgent. Bohemian Rhapsody was better, and off the top of my head in this 'genre', The Doors blew both of them away.

I did not expect to be the first one commenting on "Gozilla: King of the Monsters".

Just got back from seeing it, and enjoyed what I saw.

You go to a monster movie to see one thing.....MONSTERS!

In this case giant monsters fighting each other and it does not disappoint.

Ghidorah looks just plain evil. Mothra looks better than ever, and Rodan was great too.

The human story and characters are tolerable. Kyle Chandler & Charles Dance do the best in that angle.

I now know why the movie has gotten such low marks. Making climate changers and green minded people look like maniacal lunatics is going to piss off a lot of people who subscribe to that.

Oh well, we only care about how awesome the monsters look, and that's what really delivers.

Bring on "Kong Vs. Godzilla" for next year. That should be awesome.

Interesting bumper at the end.

Watched Godzilla. It was what you would expect.

No real story. Good monster fights.

You really have to turn off your brain for this one; the military has no training, , drones can fly and submerge underwater...  the Earth seems to be the size of New Jersey.

The eco-terrorist motive was the most believable.

If they were to remove all humans from the movie, it would have probably improved it. The only reason for people to appear on screen was to do something stupid.

I’ve been waiting to see an American release Godzilla vs. King Ghidora for my entire life. I can’t wait. I couldn’t see it opening weekend but already got tix for second weekend Friday night at Quaker crossing. It’s Batman vs. The Joker.

Edited by NobesBLO13

2 hours ago, unbillievable said:

You really have to turn off your brain for this one; the military has no training, , drones can fly and submerge underwater...  the Earth seems to be the size of New Jersey.

If they were to remove all humans from the movie, it would have probably improved it. The only reason for people to appear on screen was to do something stupid.

The humans in this movie are better than the humans in any of the Transformers movies.

57 minutes ago, Rico said:

I just saw Godzilla, enjoyed it, Ghidorah was definitely bad-ass. Best part is that whoever wrote it is obviously a big Yankees fan, :thumbsup:

They were also Godzilla fans, lots of references from past Godzilla movies was great to see.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Mark Vader said:

The humans in this movie are better than the humans in any of the Transformers movies.

Agreed, if you don't count Bumblebee as a Transformers movie, cause I really liked Hailee Steinfeld in that.

Just now, Rico said:

Agreed, if you don't count Bumblebee as a Transformers movie, cause I really liked Hailee Steinfeld in that.

I grew up watching Transformers and just can't stand the movie series.

The first movie was pretty good, Revenge of the Fallen is awful, Dark of the Moon has it's moments(Leonard Nimoy) but is below average, Age of Extinction has an intriguing side story but it falls flat, and I did not even bother with The Last Knight.

After Age of Extinction I did not want to bother seeing anymore Transformers movies. I ignored Bumblebee, but then I read and heard that it was actually a decent flick. I was tempted to see it because of Hailee Steinfeld. She's a very good young talent and I want to see her get more recognition as a lead actor. I'll have to check that out eventually.

9 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

I grew up watching Transformers and just can't stand the movie series.

The first movie was pretty good, Revenge of the Fallen is awful, Dark of the Moon has it's moments(Leonard Nimoy) but is below average, Age of Extinction has an intriguing side story but it falls flat, and I did not even bother with The Last Knight.

After Age of Extinction I did not want to bother seeing anymore Transformers movies. I ignored Bumblebee, but then I read and heard that it was actually a decent flick. I was tempted to see it because of Hailee Steinfeld. She's a very good young talent and I want to see her get more recognition as a lead actor. I'll have to check that out eventually.

I was a little too old for Transformers, never saw the show, but I find the movies watchable as long as you turn off your brain and crank the volume way up. Last Knight is close to a reference 4K UHD.

3 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

They were also Godzilla fans, lots of references from past Godzilla movies was great to see.

My friends and I commented that it felt like a transformer's movie. ?

I'm not a Godzilla fan, didn't know any of the monsters, and went into this one blissfully unaware. I was confused why they would name a giant worm "Mothra."

It actually helped that they showed a short documentary before the movie on the guy in the suit that just died in 2017.

I will say it's one of the best giant Monster movies I've seen... 

...I absolutely got No references. I wonder if this is what watching an Avenger's movie feels like for marvel virgins.?

Edited by unbillievable

9 hours ago, Gugny said:

I'd like to read @Cripple Creek's review of "Rocket Man."  Would also like to know what the Mrs., thought.

Me: the movie, whilst (A&FM) OK, kept morphing betwixt a drama, a musical and a documentary.  I, personally wish that they had stuck with one.  The story itself was interesting and they did a decent job with the back story, his life as a child.  The totally happenstance way that he an Bernie met was interesting as was their lifelong friendship. I could have used more Bernie.

Wife to me: it was a good movie, shut the hell up.

• Thank you (+1) 1

17 hours ago, unbillievable said:

My favorite part of any monster movie is when they have this 200 foot monster that's already destroyed a bridge and a few skyscrapers, but they think an M-16 is gonna bring them down. 

15 hours ago, njbuff said:

Godzilla actually ate one of Ghidorah's heads.

Didn't see that one coming.

Then Ghidorah re-generated. That was cool.

Also liked how each head of Ghidorah had it's own personality, and that for the first half of the movie he was referred to as "Monster Zero".

Edited by Mark Vader

43 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Then Ghidorah re-generated. That was cool.

Also liked how each head of Ghidorah had it's own personality, and that for the first half of the movie he was referred to as "Monster Zero".

I love how Rodan's speed killed thousands of Mexicans in seconds (not discriminating against Mexicans, just that Rodan can kill thousands of humans in seconds with his outrageous speed) and the way he and the other monsters paid homage to the king at the end.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, njbuff said:

I love how Rodan's speed killed thousands of Mexicans in seconds (not discriminating against Mexicans, just that Rodan can kill thousands of humans in seconds with his outrageous speed) and the way he and the other monsters paid homage to the king at the end.

Absolutely.

The people who made this movie were obviously fans.

Rodan causing destruction by simply flying over the city.

The anti-oxygen bomb that was used in the first Godzilla movie.

Referring to Ghidorah as Monster Zero.

Hearing Godzilla's footsteps during the opening titles.

The Godzilla theme music, which was missing from the 2014 movie.

The thermonuclear look of Godzilla, which was from Godzilla Vs. Destroyah.

Great stuff.

39 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Absolutely.

The people who made this movie were obviously fans.

Rodan causing destruction by simply flying over the city.

The anti-oxygen bomb that was used in the first Godzilla movie.

Referring to Ghidorah as Monster Zero.

Hearing Godzilla's footsteps during the opening titles.

The Godzilla theme music, which was missing from the 2014 movie.

The thermonuclear look of Godzilla, which was from Godzilla Vs. Destroyah.

Great stuff.

I don’t buy the Godzilla vs King Kong movie at all. 

Kong has ZERO chance against Godzilla.

Look at it this way..........

How quick would King Ghidorah dispatch King Kong? And Godzilla literally ate King Ghidorah,