May Movies: Aladdin, Godzilla, John Wick & Rocketman

On 5/21/2019 at 6:35 AM, Joe in Winslow said:

Saw Wick. DEFINITELY worth the price of admission, then again I'm a fan of the franchise

That’s funny, my wife picked that one yesterday as she thought I might like it better than the other options. We had ZERO idea what the whole franchise was about. Don’t recall even hearing about it before. Almost suggested leaving 10-15 minutes in. Glad we stayed, I guess, but I felt like I had paid to watch a kid playing a video game. If I had known what we were getting into, it might have felt different. I wanted to fast forward thru some of the predictable, monotonous, ridiculous fight scenes. There is an arcade one floor below the theater that has similar action for a few quarters. 

The other people there seemed to know more about what to expect and they enjoyed it. Once my wife mentioned “video game”, that’s all I could think of. 

On 5/20/2019 at 9:19 AM, Lurker said:

Lol.  The Marvel/Star Wars/Fast & Furious/comic book universe says hello...

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/yearly/chart/?p=.htm&yr=2018

LOL  Because Captain Marvel and Avengers Endgame had no political or social messaging.

Hell, I still haven't seen Captain Marvel because I was told not to culturally appropriate the feminist experience.  :wacko:

2 hours ago, Augie said:

That’s funny, my wife picked that one yesterday as she thought I might like it better than the other options. We had ZERO idea what the whole franchise was about. Don’t recall even hearing about it before. Almost suggested leaving 10-15 minutes in. Glad we stayed, I guess, but I felt like I had paid to watch a kid playing a video game. If I had known what we were getting into, it might have felt different. I wanted to fast forward thru some of the predictable, monotonous, ridiculous fight scenes. There is an arcade one floor below the theater that has similar action for a few quarters. 

The other people there seemed to know more about what to expect and they enjoyed it. Once my wife mentioned “video game”, that’s all I could think of. 

No one to blame but yourself on that one.

That's like going to see a fast and furious movie and complaining about predictable, monotonous, ridiculous car scenes.

John Wick is basically a Chuck Norris meme.

Edited by unbillievable

1 minute ago, unbillievable said:

No one to blame but yourself on that one.

That's like going to see a fast and furious movie and complaining about too many car scenes.

I don’t disagree. Didn’t know what it was, but just happy to have a nice afternoon with my wife. She picked one trying to make me happy. She gets points for that. She would have gone to Aladdin . It was more about the time than the movie. 

I just never saw a movie that looked like a video game before. 

Just now, Augie said:

I don’t disagree. Didn’t know what it was, but just happy to have a nice afternoon with my wife. She picked one trying to make me happy. She gets points for that. She would have gone to Aladdin . It was more about the time than the movie. 

I know someone who picked Avengers Endgame as their first marvel movie. She was so confused and bored.

I told her not to go, but she insisted because she wanted to know what all the fuss was about..

2 hours ago, unbillievable said:

Aladdin was merely "Okay".

It's almost a scene by scene remake of the original, with a very notable exception,  The added #metoo Jasmine scenes. It was so out of place, that many people got confused what was going on. The Jasmine story-line was changed to appease the far-left, which seems pointless since they already boycotted the movie because the leads weren't Arabic enough. (too indian).

Definite rental movie.

Although, I was told the CGI looked a lot better in 3D than 2D. They were probably the worst I've seen years.

It was demo-worthy in Dolby Cinema, wow. Eye and ear candy, which bumped it up a little for me. 

2 hours ago, Augie said:

I think it might’ve helped if you saw the 1st 2 movies.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

I know someone who picked Avengers Endgame as their first marvel movie. She was so confused and bored.

I told her not to go, but she insisted because she wanted to know what all the fuss was about..

I had raisinettes, a Coke Zero and my wife next to me. It was all good. (Little sugar rush I shook off, but survived.)  

3 minutes ago, Rico said:

It was demo-worthy in Dolby Cinema, wow. Eye and ear candy, which bumped it up a little for me. 

I paid for the matinee, which was in a small theater, so that might have contributed to it. The Genie really looked fake, I don't think his resolution matched the rest of the film; Like they photoshopped a 1080p character into a 720p picture.

8 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

I paid for the matinee, which was in a small theater, so that might have contributed to it. The Genie really looked fake, I don't think his resolution matched the rest of the film; Like they photoshopped a 1080p character into a 720p picture.

I’ve seen just about all the Dolby Cinema movies at my local AMC since I got A-List over a year ago (other than a few like Madea :doh:), this was pretty close to the top for PQ/AQ (Wick 3 was damn good too). 

Edited by Rico

Critics complaining there are too many monster fights in Godzilla.

If that’s the case, sign me the frig up,

The whole point of a monster movie IS monster fights. Too much of the human element in monster movies drags the movie the hell down.

I would be worried if these braindead movie critics liked the movie.

2 hours ago, njbuff said:

Critics complaining there are too many monster fights in Godzilla.

If that’s the case, sign me the frig up,

The whole point of a monster movie IS monster fights. Too much of the human element in monster movies drags the movie the hell down.

I would be worried if these braindead movie critics liked the movie.

Absolutely. Less back story, more action. 

I do hope that we’ll be able to see at least some of  the fights clearly enough though, not all rainy and dark.

3 hours ago, Rico said:

I do hope that we’ll be able to see at least some of  the fights clearly enough though, not all rainy and dark.

I guess monsters don’t fight when the weather is perfect and in the daylight.

?

I saw Rocketman last weekend for a one night only advanced screening. Soundtrack is phenomenal. The storytelling is a bit weird, its more of a musical where they break out into song. Great movie though. Gay sex scene was a bit more graphic than I would have asked for (I feel this way about 90% of sex scenes), but I really enjoyed it.

On 5/13/2019 at 3:10 AM, unbillievable said:

Long Shot was total garbage.

It's the liberal rom-com of an SJW journalist, suffering from TDS, falling in love with an Idealized Hilary Clinton fantasy.

Seth Rogan plays the same worthless loser character he always does, while Charlize Theron pretends his SJW BS advice is wisdom worthy of her time, and risk to her career. This is "Knocked Up" with politics thrown into the mix.

Critics seem to love this movie.

No surprise the critics love it. Of course they would.

I had no idea what the movie was about. I saw the cast, the title and thought it would be just another forgettable rom-com but it might have a few laughs. Well, it had much less than a few laughs. I knew I was in trouble when the previews for upcoming movies rolled. Like the one starring that chubby Indian chick trying to crack the male white patriarchy in comedy tv writing. The movie we probably end up justifying that by the looks of it. 

Anyway, you are right. Rogan is a hack. He plays the same asswhole every movie. 

We went to see John Wick 3 the next day and that cleansed the pallet a bit. Empty headed mindless violence for sure but way easier to take.

4 hours ago, njbuff said:

?

Not in the last US-made Godzilla they didn't. 1998 US Godzilla movie was pretty drab too.

20 hours ago, Rico said:

Not in the last US-made Godzilla they didn't. 1998 US Godzilla movie was pretty drab too.

That 1998 movie wasn't a Godzilla movie.

It was a little weak iguana that ran around Manhattan and got killed simply by being stuck In the Brooklyn Bridge. That movie pissed on Godzilla's name.

The real Godzilla destroys everything in a matter of seconds, for example, knocking down the Brooklyn Bridge in a millisecond.

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, njbuff said:

That 1998 movie wasn't a Godzilla movie.

It was a little weak iguana that ran around Manhattan and got killed simply by being stuck In the Brooklyn Bridge. That movie pissed on Godzilla's name.

The real Godzilla destroys everything in a matter of seconds, for example, knocking down the Brooklyn Bridge in a millisecond.

Turns out it was just an escaped experimental specimen from Jurassic World.

On 5/28/2019 at 6:46 AM, Rico said:

On 5/28/2019 at 10:21 AM, njbuff said:

?

There was fighting during the daytime in "Kong: Skull Island."