May Movies: Aladdin, Godzilla, John Wick & Rocketman

On 5/19/2019 at 9:52 PM, unbillievable said:

I'm hoping for mecha-Godzilla.

John Wick 3 was a fun movie. Much better than the 2nd one. Might be better than the 1st. 

They figured out what people wanted to see in a John Wick movie and made it non-stop for 2hrs.

Probably going to see Aladin, but trying to convince my friends to go to the dinner & movie theater/restaurant. I figure that It will probably suck and I would need something to do during the cringe parts (Will Smith.)

Yeah, how do you follow Robbin Williams?   I hate Disney remaking these classic animated films to make a quick buck.  I cringe at Aladdin and The Lion King.  Toy Story 4 on the other had.  Can't wait.

I haven't bothered with the John Wick movies yet.  Are they that much different from series like Taken or The Equalizer to be worth the time?

4 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Yeah, how do you follow Robbin Williams?   I hate Disney remaking these classic animated films to make a quick buck.  I cringe at Aladdin and The Lion King.  Toy Story 4 on the other had.  Can't wait.

I haven't bothered with the John Wick movies yet.  Are they that much different from series like Taken or The Equalizer to be worth the time?

Wick is lighter than those movies. Sortof.

It's basically a 2 hr long meme: What would happen if you piss of Chuck Norris...

Also, the world-building aspect replaces a conventional story as the plot driver.

Personally, I like Wick better than other similar franchise. (Jack Reacher, Transporter, etc...)

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

How often do those movies get nominated for best picture?

What does that have to do with your comment "...Political messaging and social awareness has become more important in movie making, than artistic vision and talent."

The only awards that matters in Hollywood are Box Office receipts.

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

What does that have to do with your comment "...Political messaging and social awareness has become more important in movie making, than artistic vision and talent."

The only awards that matters in Hollywood are Box Office receipts.

The point is that the movies with political messaging and so forth, are the ones that are recognized and glamorized for being "cutting edge" and "thought provoking" and hailed as "the greatest ever made".

Hollywood loves to reward movies that are in step with their ideology. How else does a movie like "Argo" win tons of awards or "Get Out" gets a best picture nomination.

Yes, the big budget movies get all the box office receipts, but they are viewed as frivolous and not viewed as serious awards material. If they did, then movies like "The Dark Knight" would have gotten a best picture nomination.

The Box Office receipts keep Holly wood rolling, but the year end awards do matter to them as well.

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Wick movies have a totally different tone than those. They're much more entertaining, being that they're shoot-em-up films.

Keanu Reeves' training for Wick was intense. Does most of the stunts himself. At least all the fighting stuff.

14 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

The point is that the movies with political messaging and so forth, are the ones that are recognized and glamorized for being "cutting edge" and "thought provoking" and hailed as "the greatest ever made".

By whom?    The 8,000+ members of the AMPAS?   The couple dozen national film critics that remain relevant?    The PR flacks cranking up the 'buzz' during awards season? 

The art house movies that studios produce are like farts in the wind.   Often forgotten after one awards cycle and hardly ever thought of as "the greatest ever made."     Their box office receipts certainly don't reflect that attitude among the general public...

12 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Saw Wick. DEFINITELY worth the price of admission, then again I'm a fan of the franchise

That movie kicked so much ass. Hard to believe Keanu is 54.

30 minutes ago, Rico said:

I still say you gotta have a bigger head and a neck to be Godzilla.

godzilla_1962_01.jpg

They have remade Godzilla so much over the years that it's difficult to keep up with his look.

But King Ghidorah looks bad azz for this movie.

2 minutes ago, njbuff said:

They have remade Godzilla so much over the years that it's difficult to keep up with his look.

But King Ghidorah looks bad azz for this movie.

No doubt about that.

Don't get me wrong, I am definitely going. :thumbsup:

13 minutes ago, Rico said:

No doubt about that.

Don't get me wrong, I am definitely going. :thumbsup:

I wish Godzilla was a heel though. He is much more powerful as a heel and is impossible to deal with as a heel.

But, as long as the movie doesn't disappoint............. as monster movies tend to do, as there is too much of the human element, which destroys monster movies.

2 minutes ago, njbuff said:

I wish Godzilla was a heel though. He is much more powerful as a heel and is impossible to deal with as a heel.

But, as long as the movie doesn't disappoint............. as monster movies tend to do, as there is too much of the human element, which destroys monster movies.

I'm good so long as this guy doesn't make an appearance.

0X8Dh.jpg

:doh:

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, njbuff said:

What's worse, that or this......

shobijan.thumb.jpg.2759af4231433643efbe75afe634341c.jpg

That. :lol:

These two didn't bother me as much. Maybe if I was a more of a Mothra fan, they would be more annoying.

Edited by Rico

2 hours ago, Rico said:

That. :lol:

These two didn't bother me as much. Maybe if I was a more of a Mothra fan, they would be more annoying.

Whenever they sang that darn Mothra song, it made me sick to my stomach.

3 hours ago, njbuff said:

What's worse, that or this......

shobijan.thumb.jpg.2759af4231433643efbe75afe634341c.jpg

Idk about you, but I'd rather look at some cute Asian chicks....

Maybe the new Godzilla will feature a K-pop montage??

Edited by LeGOATski

Aladdin was merely "Okay".

It's almost a scene by scene remake of the original, with a very notable exception,  The added #metoo Jasmine scenes. It was so out of place, that many people got confused what was going on. The Jasmine story-line was changed to appease the far-left, which seems pointless since they already boycotted the movie because the leads weren't Arabic enough. (too indian).

Definite rental movie.

Although, I was told the CGI looked a lot better in 3D than 2D. They were probably the worst I've seen years.