This time last year

6 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I’m just hoping that our OL isn’t so good josh never scrambles on 3rd down.  His legs are a big part of this offense.  While it would be nice if he wasn’t our leading rusher, I’m expecting around 500 years minimum

Ideally he only runs when the other team messes up and leaves him without a spy along with the occasional flush out of the pocket scramble to extend plays on third down.  He'll be even more effective running the ball if the running backs can bounce back this season and do a nice job as a committee.  

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I’m just hoping that our OL isn’t so good josh never scrambles on 3rd down.  His legs are a big part of this offense.  While it would be nice if he wasn’t our leading rusher, I’m expecting around 500 years minimum

They will design some draws for him. I also see him still learning and holding on to the ball at times and then needing to scramble.

The line has been flipped which should lead to different outcome. I also like having Daboll back for a second year. Hopefully this will lead to some good production.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, NewEra said:

damn that auto correct, lol

• Haha (+1) 1

I am just happy to see they addressed the o line as well made some great improvements. Definitely excited for the season to start. It definitely feels different then any thing ever the bills have done in the offseason. Me personally I think we have the right coach, now all the right players to turn the corner. 

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Last year, the board was struggling to come to grips with the Bills decision to trade up and draft Josh Allen when Josh Rosen was still on the board

Much calmer this draft...

The only thing is, I remember being very worried, personally, that the OL would suck and expressing that view...and having many tell me it would be OK, or at least better than I thought.  It was hoped that Kelvin Benjamin would be rejuvenated by injury recovery in the off-season and would be the #1 we hoped for, while Clay would be rejuvanated by having a QB more willing to gun it than TT was.  Alas none of that was true, and while Zay did take a step, it wasn't a Giant Step.

So....it's a new season.  Hope Springs for the Bills fans! 

I hope the new line OL is improved...I hope the RB corps has "spring" in their step.  And I hope Josh Allen has taken a step. 

Go Bills!

I find it ironic that Arizona did with Josh Rosen what many advocated for if Josh Allen didn't show enough-draft another QB if Josh played poorly enough that we got the top pick.  

I was

2 hours ago, Buffalo30 said:

The roster turnover is significant and yet fans still want more.  It's hard to find everything in one offseason but they've done a solid job from the looks of it so far.  

I think they did really well improving this team overall.

They did hit FA hard at OL and WR. I know, I know John Smokey Brown and Cole Beasley aren't AB, but they are two productive NFL WRs with different skill sets and none of the headache of AB. Buff has 2 deep WRs with good hands (Brown and Foster) no S cheating up on the line if Foster and Brown line up outside. That helps the RB and underneath guys like slot WR and TE. Beasley is a nice slot guy and I see a lot of 3 WR sets for Buffalo, with Zay being a top backup all along the WR position. Big improvement.

OL they added what 5-6 FAs, didn't overspend to retain 'meh' guys in Miller or Mills. I wish Miller well, maybe a change of scenery will help him. Made a splash at C with Mitch Morse, where it was needed. He will call out protections and is terrific as a PB and make the other OL better. I think Groy was not good at calling protections. Bodine as a backup C is fine with me. Plenty of options at OT and OG now, and guys with different strengths aside from Morse. A lot if the FA OL were a touch long in the tooth so Buf doubled down with Ford who can be a RT or LG in this league at a pro bowl level for years to come.

It's not 'splash', but I'm willing to bet 3-5 yrs out Buffalo's investment in OL and WR pay off better than NYJ in Bell or OAK investment in AB.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Last year, the board was struggling to come to grips with the Bills decision to trade up and draft Josh Allen when Josh Rosen was still on the board

The only thing is, I remember being very worried, personally, that the OL would suck and expressing that view...and having many tell me it would be OK, or at least better than I thought.  It was hoped that Kelvin Benjamin would be rejuvenated by injury recovery in the off-season and would be the #1 we hoped for, while Clay would be rejuvanated by having a QB more willing to gun it than TT was.  Alas none of that was true, and while Zay did take a step, it wasn't a Giant Step.

I hope the new line OL is improved...I hope the RB corps has "spring" in their step.  And I hope Josh Allen has taken a step. 

Go Bills!

That was me everybody! But to be fair, the cliff she was standing next to was HUGE!!!

22 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I guess you're right.  The Bills fielded a pretty good OL last year.

I never once said it was good... but line play was really bad around the league last year...

Worst of all time is completely hyperbole 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

I was

I think they did really well improving this team overall.

They did hit FA hard at OL and WR. I know, I know John Smokey Brown and Cole Beasley aren't AB, but they are two productive NFL WRs with different skill sets and none of the headache of AB. Buff has 2 deep WRs with good hands (Brown and Foster) no S cheating up on the line if Foster and Brown line up outside. That helps the RB and underneath guys like slot WR and TE. Beasley is a nice slot guy and I see a lot of 3 WR sets for Buffalo, with Zay being a top backup all along the WR position. Big improvement.

OL they added what 5-6 FAs, didn't overspend to retain 'meh' guys in Miller or Mills. I wish Miller well, maybe a change of scenery will help him. Made a splash at C with Mitch Morse, where it was needed. He will call out protections and is terrific as a PB and make the other OL better. I think Groy was not good at calling protections. Bodine as a backup C is fine with me. Plenty of options at OT and OG now, and guys with different strengths aside from Morse. A lot if the FA OL were a touch long in the tooth so Buf doubled down with Ford who can be a RT or LG in this league at a pro bowl level for years to come.

It's not 'splash', but I'm willing to bet 3-5 yrs out Buffalo's investment in OL and WR pay off better than NYJ in Bell or OAK investment in AB.

Agree with all of the above.  Bell will have to be a magician behind that offensive line and AB will do well I'm sure but can he keep the drama down?  I like what we did.  It's going to be fun watching all of these new players.  If our youth continues to develop, we are in for a breakthrough.

• Like (+1) 1

Go Bills!

Good post!  I also remember thinking the the o-line would be horrendous. The unexpected loss of Eric Woods was the biggest single factor in the demise of the o-line. Unfortunately, I wasn't wrong.  I was also concerned about the corner playing opposite White but that situation turned out okay.  I don't think many fans understood how bad the cap situation was.  I remember reading posts wanting to sign numerous high value free agents.  Beane had to manage things last year with little money.  We did get to see the coaching staff do a good job with a poor roster. If they can repeat that level of coaching performance with this improved pool of talent, the Bills will be a dangerous opponent. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

Good post!  I also remember thinking the the o-line would be horrendous. The unexpected loss of Eric Woods was the biggest single factor in the demise of the o-line. Unfortunately, I wasn't wrong.  I was also concerned about the corner playing opposite White but that situation turned out okay.  I don't think many fans understood how bad the cap situation was.  I remember reading posts wanting to sign numerous high value free agents.  Beane had to manage things last year with little money.  We did get to see the coaching staff do a good job with a poor roster. If they can repeat that level of coaching performance with this improved pool of talent, the Bills will be a dangerous opponent. 

Glenn, Woods and Incognito leaving was difficult to replace in one season.  They remade the front but I have no clue who will start where.  The competition will be interesting to watch.  The bottom end talent on the team in general is significantly better.  Hoping the depth is as real as it looks on paper.  

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

I find it ironic that Arizona did with Josh Rosen what many advocated for if Josh Allen didn't show enough-draft another QB if Josh played poorly enough that we got the top pick.  

I see your viewpoint.  I think it had more to do with the coaching change, though.

46 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It was not the worst line in the NFL.

We agree it was pretty damn bad, though, right?

Of course 

pass protection improved as the year went on but there was ZERO push in the run game all year

2 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Come on, they were pretty bad.  The worse Bills OL I have seen in a long time.

What teams were worse in your opinion?

Arizona was probably the worst offensive line in the league last season.  Unfortunately, Josh Rosen doesn't have the ideal skill set for coping with the non-protection he received last season, but maybe no QB has, as bad as Arizona was, unless Clark Kent had been available.

6 hours ago, Buffalo30 said:

The roster turnover is significant and yet fans still want more.  It's hard to find everything in one offseason but they've done a solid job from the looks of it so far.  

The Bills were 9-7 the previous season and made the playoffs.  We fell to 6-10 understandably with  roster turnover and a rookie QB..but as fans we expect to quickly get over that and be back in the playoffs. 

4 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Come on, they were pretty bad.  The worse Bills OL I have seen in a long time.

What teams were worse in your opinion?

Cardinals, hands down.  Dolphins.  Arguably Raiders and Giants.

1 hour ago, TigerJ said:

Arizona was probably the worst offensive line in the league last season.  Unfortunately, Josh Rosen doesn't have the ideal skill set for coping with the non-protection he received last season, but maybe no QB has, as bad as Arizona was, unless Clark Kent had been available.

TBH I think Allen would have done more with them.  Rosen is a classic pocket passer. 

He's actually a bit more mobile than I thought he'd be but it was a low bar ('cuz I thought he was immobile)

If you want a pocket passer to pass, ya gotta give him a pocket!

Allen would have at least made defenses think hard about whether he'd make them pay.  With Rosen, they just pinned their ears back and charged.

4 hours ago, Nebillzfan said:

It definitely feels different then any thing ever the bills have done in the offseason. Me personally I think we have the right coach, now all the right players to turn the corner. 

You are not the only one.

Here is a prediction from NFL.com even.

Sean McDermott earns Coach of the Year honors.

Back in early April, I predicted Buffalo would be the NFL's Cinderella team in 2019. In the wake of a draft that saw the Bills steal DT Ed Oliver and wisely move up for OL Cody Ford, I fully stand by that Cinderella forecast. GM Brandon Beane has done a fantastic job building this roster. But my bullishness on the Billsstems most from the guy in the headset.

McDermott is a fantastic teacher and leader of men. His defense quietly ranked second in the NFL in yards allowed last season. And his team exudes toughness and discipline, giving Buffalo a great opportunity to overachieve.

I havent been this optimistic since the spring of 87'.

Go Bills:thumbsup: 

ETA for a little bit of reality, I was VERY optimistic about the Sabres last Nov. too.:death:

Edited by stosh64
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Cardinals allowed 17 sacks in under 2.5 seconds.  That's pretty bad.

Damn, that is bad... impressive that they were able to get off that many plays in under 2.5 seconds, though.  Most teams can only manage one.

• Haha (+1) 1