Buffalo Niagara Airport best medium sized airport.

5 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Will smuggle booze for himself, yet cruelly runs a stunt so his children thought they were getting coal Christmas morning....ahem.  A knucklehead can be many things.  ??

good memory young man!!!!!

• Haha (+1) 1

I have a couple of memories/experiences at the Niagara Falls airport.

They had a National Guard squadron there that would host me when I was flying in the Navy.

When visiting my family, and later when I was dating a Buffalo gal, I would fly there and they would let me park on their ramp.

One time, over Christmas holiday, and a week before starting a carrier deployment, I went there with the knowledge that there was a strong snow forecast during the two day period I would be there.

Got the OK from the National Guard unit that they would store the airplane in their hangar for the two days.

When I landed, late on a Friday, they said they would tow it in on Sat.

When I called on Sunday, it had not been towed and was told it had quite a bit of snow on it. Since I was leaving the next day it had to be cleaned up.

I got a call at home from some junior watch officer who told me that they had a holiday schedule, and my airplane was not going to be dealt with, and that whomever I talked to wasn't there and my concerns didn't matter.

Called back to my west coast squadron. We were leaving for a WestPac cruise aboard Kitty Hawk, and the airplane needed to be back within 48 hours to be prepared for carrier deployment.

Anyway, calls were made and I got a call at home that the airplane would be ready for my desired departure time.

The other time was more fun.

Again, dating a girl from Buffalo, so I was home for the weekend.

When I got to the base operations at Niagara Falls on Sunday morning to fly home, there were two other military planes preparing. One was an Air Force T-37, which is a tiny twin engine primary trainer, and the other was a T-2, a Navy basic jet trainer.

The National Guard guy who handled our flight plans kind of challenged us to a takeoff competition.

I was flying an A-4 Superfox, with the Pacific Fleet Adversaries, and it was really overpowered.

Anyway, with family and girlfriend witnessing this, along with the folks from the other two airplanes we agreed.

T-37 takes off, does about a 50 degree angle climb and off he goes.

Navy T-2 does a little better, but still nothing impressive.

I take off, get the gear up at about five feet and level off, hit 320 knots at the end of the runway, and pull to the pure vertical. At about 1000' I did a four point roll, where you roll 90 degrees and stop. Did it four times for the full 360 and I was into the overcast.

Tower says, "nice takeoff," and I replied that if anyone complained, (aerobatics in civilian airspace are prohibited), I noticed a flock of birds and had  to avoid them.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, sherpa said:

...I take off, get the gear up at about five feet and level off, hit 320 knots at the end of the runway, and pull to the pure vertical. At about 1000' I did a four point roll, where you roll 90 degrees and stop. Did it four times for the full 360 and I was into the overcast.

Tower says, "nice takeoff," and I replied that if anyone complained, (aerobatics in civilian airspace are prohibited), I noticed a flock of birds and had  to avoid them.

George Costanza (awestruck):  You’re Batman!

sherpa:  Yeah, I am Batman!

I like the Buffalo Airport. Easy to deal with. Portland, Or is nice too. My favorite is Long Beach, Ca. I love the retro feel of it. I guess it was built in the 20s or 30s im not sure to be honest. Nice amenities. They recently remodeled parts and they have a nice outdoor bar.

http://www.lgb.org/

On 5/18/2019 at 8:49 AM, Chef Jim said:

I’ve been flying from CA to BUFF for over 30 years and have NEVER had a direct flight.

Try JetBlue's flight 491 and 492 -- Nonstop LAX<-->BUF.

We use those flights often.

On 5/18/2019 at 6:38 AM, Gray Beard said:

I’m surprised that the Syracuse airport isn’t on any list. Is the Buffalo airport significantly bigger than the Syracuse airport?

And the Syracuse airport just went through a major facelift, but they didn’t address parking, which is the Achilles Heel of all airports. 

Believe it goes by passenger boardings.