Veteran TE or Assistant Coach?

I've been reading that the Bills are interested in signing a veteran TE. However, my understanding is that the primary reason for the veteran TE is to bring playing experience into the TE room. If that's the case, why not hire an experienced TE as an assistant coach. This would give the coaches the veteran experience they feel is important to their TE group with sacrificing valuable reps for these new players.

...Jesus, we do NOT have an effin' clue yet as to what we have via FA, draft picks as well as existing TE's on the roster knowing they have to "step it up"...BUT the "grass MUST be greener...."...no wonder I drink Bourbon with a Maalox chaser...good Lord............

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

Kroft is supposedly a great guy, helpful etc.  Dude has 4 years in the league, 8TD's 66 catches for 670 yards, he learned behind Eifert who had excellent skills.  That's enough veteran for me at the position.   Now let the kids fight it out.  I still think Croom is going to make the cut at TE, he's more of a receiver but started to block pretty well as the year went on, even singled up against some good pass rushers.  

• Like (+1) 3

21 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Why, pray tell, do so many people think that EVERY FORMER NFL PLAYER IS A COACHING CANDIDATE????????

^^^ This.    So many members of TSW, need a refresher course in RMPL.

I suspect sometime between now and training camp, someone will once again suggest that Jim Kelly be hired as a QB coach/consultant. 

Edited by LabattBlue

16 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Why, pray tell, do so many people think that EVERY FORMER NFL PLAYER IS A COACHING CANDIDATE????????

This.

Many former successful athletes do not have a clue about how to assess the talent of others and apply it, they tend to turn to what they were able to do as players as their baseline. Some should just never be in a position to "coach" others; Just watch an Edelman interview and you can virtually see the Neurons chasing the butterflies around.

Let's not overthink this. We couldn't land Oliver and Hockenson so we're just going to have to make the most of Knox, Kroft and Croom. The others can fight it out for a blocking spot. TE's like Watson, Gronk and ASJ are done. Maybe Knox plans out?

6 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Let's not overthink this. We couldn't land Oliver and Hockenson so we're just going to have to make the most of Knox, Kroft and Croom. The others can fight it out for a blocking spot. TE's like Watson, Gronk and ASJ are done. Maybe Knox plans out?

This is where I am at. The Bills went with prospects with high ceilings that are going to need some coaching up. In Jax Oliver will need some coaching up too, but I think his ceiling may be a bit higher than some of the later round picks we nabbed - time will tell. I have seen some pundits give the Jaguars a failing draft grade, but I think they had a solid draft and I am not one to give Marrone any credit for anything so it is not like I want to like what they did in the draft.

I do not know enough about our TE coach Boras to have an opinion on his ability to get it done, but he did not do a terrible job with Croom with a season of coaching and he has had little talent to work with overall. Would like to see what he is able to produce with this new crop before looking for position coach upgrades.

Older clip with Boras getting after it in practice.

25 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...so I assume that is a no no as far as Manziel coaching Josh??...just askin'.............

Well I think to qualify as a former player, you need to have played more than about 2 weeks!

20 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

^^^ This.    So many members of TSW, need a refresher course in RMPL.

I suspect sometime between now and training camp, someone will once again suggest that Jim Kelly be hired as a QB coach/consultant. 

You can see how much it helped with his nephew Chad!

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

It's really getting annoying.  Fred Jackson, D Anderson, Lorax when he retires.... That and every veteran is a 'mentor'. 

• Like (+1) 2

I think they actually want a vet TE to be able to play as well. It’s a very difficult position to learn out of the gate in the nfl. The only blocking TEs they have are a 7th rd rookie and a guy converting from OT. I don’t think they need another TE Coach. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...Jesus, we do NOT have an effin' clue yet as to what we have via FA, draft picks as well as existing TE's on the roster knowing they have to "step it up"...BUT the "grass MUST be greener...."...no wonder I drink Bourbon with a Maalox chaser...good Lord............

Post of the Decade!!!!!!

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think they actually want a vet TE to be able to play as well. It’s a very difficult position to learn out of the gate in the nfl. The only blocking TEs they have are a 7th rd rookie and a guy converting from OT. I don’t think they need another TE Coach. 

Exactly, and I would think they just need another body in camp and it probably should be a vet.

With only 4 true TEs and the Fisher project one more is needed.

Heck they got 13 WRs for about 6 spots and 8 RB/FBs for 4 in camp.

9 minutes ago, vorpma said:

Post of the Decade!!!!!!

...damn you...just wasted a perfectly good pair of Depends..."post of the decade"?...seriously?....I have 14,717 ALL of which by unanimous consent have been declared effin' USELESS.....better distance yourself from me bud....:thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3