Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
TigerJ

The most encouraging rookie camp observation that I saw

Recommended Posts

If all of this emphasis on our offense, in particular, our offensive line, equates to a solid running game, it will REALLY open up our offense. Allen could easily be an MVP candidate if he continues to progress. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also heard Christian Wade was looking like a STUD out there.  -Just sayin'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope they keep Tyree Jackson even if he falters. He's a project from the ground up, but well worth the investment in time and attention IMO. We really don't know where his ceiling is, but given his natural attributes, it could be pretty high.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ganesh said:

Now it is up to Allen and McCoy to show up on game day against a better OL.  We simply cannot run an offense when your QB has the most rushing yards in the season

 

 

Given the current RB roster, it's going to happen again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Bangarang said:

 

His initial coaching staff on offense was Dennison as OC, Castillo as o-line coach, Culley as QB coach and McGeoghan as WR coach. 

 

As a rookie HC with a team that has a long history of losing you get what's available at the end of the line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Bangarang said:

 

His initial coaching staff on offense was Dennison as OC, Castillo as o-line coach, Culley as QB coach and McGeoghan as WR coach. 

 

As a rookie HC with a team that has a long history of losing you get what's available at the end of the line.  Juan is now an "Analyst" for Michigan.  At 59 his NFL coaching may be over.  His time with the Ravens under the brother of Michigan's Head Coach  probably got him the job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GreggTX said:

I hope they keep Tyree Jackson even if he falters. He's a project from the ground up, but well worth the investment in time and attention IMO. We really don't know where his ceiling is, but given his natural attributes, it could be pretty high.

 

That is exactly what the PS is for. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, #34fan said:

I also heard Christian Wade was looking like a STUD out there.  -Just sayin'.

Looking at his highlight real i could see this guy making a fantastic gunner on the punt team. Want to see how he is lined up behind an oline

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Buffalophil1948 said:

Looking at his highlight real i could see this guy making a fantastic gunner on the punt team. Want to see how he is lined up behind an oline

 

Nah... I say give him the rock and let him do what he's always done with it... -Score.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, #34fan said:

I also heard Christian Wade was looking like a STUD out there.  -Just sayin'.

I started looking at his game tape. He has exceptional acceleration, and strength, and cuts on a dime. I think a lot of people have ignored him because of the odd circumstances that brought him into the NFL. It's more or less a marketing ploy, after all. But, the guy is exciting as hell to watch. Huge upper body strength, and mad skills. If he can make the transition from pro rugby to NFL (and why not?), then he will be one to watch. It will be hard for any of the other the RBs to break into the triad of Shady/Gore/Singletary. But, if one of them falls out, for whatever reason, keep an eye on Wade. He's the real deal.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think if we had kept incognito and Wood it would have meant another win or two. Talent was 90 percent of the issue. Position coaches matter, but let's not overvalue them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

2 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

I started looking at his game tape. He has exceptional acceleration, and strength, and cuts on a dime. I think a lot of people have ignored him because of the odd circumstances that brought him into the NFL. It's more or less a marketing ploy, after all. But, the guy is exciting as hell to watch. Huge upper body strength, and mad skills. If he can make the transition from pro rugby to NFL (and why not?), then he will be one to watch. It will be hard for any of the other the RBs to break into the triad of Shady/Gore/Singletary. But, if one of them falls out, for whatever reason, keep an eye on Wade. He's the real deal.

While I love this guy's tape, I think projects like Wade are novelties. I would love to find a hidden gem, but all of the talent in the world wont make up for the lack of instincts and muscle memory that an NFL caliber player typically has earned since playing football since he was 5. Exceptions prove the rule of course, but in general the gap is just so wide projects like Wade just are a waste of time and energy. Maybe he makes sense from a PR standpoint, but it is likely all flash and no fire.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, mykidsdad said:

 

While I love this guy's tape, I think projects like Wade are novelties. I would love to find a hidden gem, but all of the talent in the world wont make up for the lack of instincts and muscle memory that an NFL caliber player typically has earned since playing football since he was 5. Exceptions prove the rule of course, but in general the gap is just so wide projects like Wade just are a waste of time and energy. Maybe he makes sense from a PR standpoint, but it is likely all flash and no fire.

 

Have you seen him play rugby? 

Edited by Rocky Landing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Augie said:

 

I don’t know what the other options were going into the first season, and I’m sure people can throw out some names, but you’re operating at a disadvantage having to fill a staff in a hurry. Given time and as more guys become available, I’d expect some upgrades, and it seems like we have that. 

 

And the ability to admit mistakes and move on is vastly underrated! 

agreed on both counts.

MCD learning to be a head coach had to designate duties regardless. Cannot do everything.

 Looks like FO and Coach are learning and working hard to improve the team short and long term.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

 

That is exactly what the PS is for. 

Post is a passive aggressive version of his normal Josh Allen negativity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, elltrain22 said:

If all of this emphasis on our offense, in particular, our offensive line, equates to a solid running game, it will REALLY open up our offense. Allen could easily be an MVP candidate if he continues to progress. 

Which in turn , will help the defense improve.

 : 0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

...probably a speculative unsubstantiated hunch, but it appears so far that there could be some talented football players in the final 37 cuts.....hard to remember the last time Bflo was faced with such a conundrum....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/11/2019 at 8:54 AM, TigerJ said:

From the Syracuse Post Standard on offensive line coach, Bobby Johnson:

 

4. Bobby Johnson looks like significant upgrade at OL coach

Juan Castillo wasn't a bad coach by any stretch but he wasn't very noticeable. Not all great coaches are animated or loud, but the good ones are engaged and energetic. Bobby Johnson's first practice as Bills offensive line coach was impressive. He seemed to connect with players and brought some juice. That's going to be important for a group that dramatically underperformed in 2018.

http://expo.newyorkupstate.com/sports/g66l-2019/05/ec59a0212c4c4/buffalo-bills-rookie-camp-2019-7-observations-on-ed-oliver-cody-ford-and-more.html

 

If you add better players, which the Bills did, you should get better offensive line play.  If you add a better coach, which the Bills apparently did, you should get improved offensive line play.  If you add both, maybe we have something really good about to happen.

 
 

Coaches always look smarter when you give them better players to work with,  the group last year was a bunch of scrubs and yet it is the coach we blame.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

Coaches always look smarter when you give them better players to work with,  the group last year was a bunch of scrubs and yet it is the coach we blame.

 

This is true.  That's why I never blamed Castillo when our offensive linemen looked overmatched.

 

But I did blame him when they looked unprepared and/or out of position.  And that happened too often.   

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

Coaches always look smarter when you give them better players to work with,  the group last year was a bunch of scrubs and yet it is the coach we blame.

That's why I like this regime. If it's not working it's getting revamped. No one's job is safe. Get out there and earn it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/11/2019 at 1:28 PM, ScottLaw said:

?

 

This is a terrible excuse.

 

Not sure if Kromer wasn't interested but keeping him on board would've made A LOT more sense than hiring Castillo. Kromer is an excellent O Line coach. 

agreed but, i think 1st year coaches may tend to feel obligated to guys they've worked with in the past. then when the heat gets cranked up, they man up and make decisions.

 

i think the way our staff is built now is fantastic. i've always had my reservations with frazier but i'm willing to trust mcd as long as he exercises control over the d when needed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

agreed but, i think 1st year coaches may tend to feel obligated to guys they've worked with in the past. then when the heat gets cranked up, they man up and make decisions.

 

i think the way our staff is built now is fantastic. i've always had my reservations with frazier but i'm willing to trust mcd as long as he exercises control over the d when needed.

That's not really an excuse.

 

You feel obligated to hire someone you worked with before even if he blows at what he does?That's a terrible reason to hire someone and a easy way to get yourself fired. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/11/2019 at 8:54 AM, TigerJ said:

From the Syracuse Post Standard on offensive line coach, Bobby Johnson:

 

4. Bobby Johnson looks like significant upgrade at OL coach

Juan Castillo wasn't a bad coach by any stretch but he wasn't very noticeable. Not all great coaches are animated or loud, but the good ones are engaged and energetic. Bobby Johnson's first practice as Bills offensive line coach was impressive. He seemed to connect with players and brought some juice. That's going to be important for a group that dramatically underperformed in 2018.

http://expo.newyorkupstate.com/sports/g66l-2019/05/ec59a0212c4c4/buffalo-bills-rookie-camp-2019-7-observations-on-ed-oliver-cody-ford-and-more.html

 

If you add better players, which the Bills did, you should get better offensive line play.  If you add a better coach, which the Bills apparently did, you should get improved offensive line play.  If you add both, maybe we have something really good about to happen.

 
 

Imagine JA with an effective running game.

 

Last year's rush offense may have been the worst rushing Bills offense, outside of QB, that I've ever seen.

On 5/11/2019 at 9:11 AM, JESSEFEFFER said:

It seemed most every Josh Allen scramble started with the Bills failing to block a line stunt.  It's not like it was a slow process either.  Blocks were beaten right at the snap.   I wonder what the analytics say about that.  Communication and attitude, I hope the new OL coach brings that to the group and maybe Mitch Morse can be the Kent Hull like leader they need. 

 

Mitch Morse calling protections has to be an improvement over Groy (terrible) and Bodine (bad), and it is often overlooked. Wood and Hull were generally good at this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

That's not really an excuse.

 

You feel obligated to hire someone you worked with before even if he blows at what he does?That's a terrible reason to hire someone and a easy way to get yourself fired. 

well look who came up for air.  why did he hire rico, frazier and castillo?..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/11/2019 at 12:14 PM, Kemp said:

 

The success or failure of Josh Allen will determine whether Beane is a success or failure.

 

putting Josh Allen in a position to succeed or fail will determine if Beane is a success or failure.

 

He went way beyond expectations given his situation last year.

 

I'm not worried about JA, I want the team around him better. Ha made Zay Jones and Robert Foster start to look legitimate in the last 6 games of the season.

 

Improve the OL, add WRs see what happens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...