The most encouraging rookie camp observation that I saw

1 hour ago, mykidsdad said:

When I say instincts, I mean a feel for the game that comes from playing the game. The way you react, and make sudden movements and the reliance on muscle memory all come from playing the game starting at a very young age. I'd love to be wrong.

How do you know those things come from playing the game and not just God given ability that will be there regardless of when they start playing?

17 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

How do you know those things come from playing the game and not just God given ability that will be there regardless of when they start playing?

I mean the ability to make people miss and move through groups of opposing players I think should be able to translate well the bigger question I think is how it will work with the different formation and playstyle of football.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

I dont know,  but I think he's at a huge disadvantage having not grown up playing American football. In fact I hope I'm 100 percent wrong and the guy is a diamond, but, as I'm sure you realize, it is a super long shot. And again, in my opinion, so much that looks like God given ability is often a combination of natural ability and just a ton of hardwork and experience that looks like it is natural . Often great athletes that seem to be so naturally gifted may be operating at a high level as the result, partly, of some really deep brain learning that comes out as lightning quick reaction and finely tuned coordination, but in reality it is the result of a whole lot of reps. Like feeling which way a runner behind you is choosing to cut, where to place your hands when blocking, reading subtle tells from a would be tackler, etc. Then add doing it all in pads and a helmet with new rules, and building the requisite high level skillset becomes an uphill climb. Our intuition is a great example of this. People in all walks of life do genious level things without knowing how we did it, because subconsciously our minds are processing input from all of our senses all at once. In my opinion this type of processing for high level sports requires a lot of talent and a lot of experience. If anyone could make the jump, it could be a rugby player. He looks great playing rugby, but he makes the team as a special teamer, if he ever plays, and there's a lot of football sense that goes into that. Again, I dont think my take is controversial. I'm sure he is a great guy. I  just think an NFL caliber player needs a lot of reps to have strong football skills. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/11/2019 at 11:22 PM, Happy Gilmore said:

Completely agree.  I think Leslie Frazier may be the only initial staff still with the team ...

Yeah, Frazier may be the  only initial staff still with the team. Outside of McDermott himself, of course.

Oh, plus Bob Babich.

And of course his son, Bobby Babich. But only them.

And in addition, Rob Boras.

And Chad Hall.

Along with John Egorugwu and Matt Lubick.

Furthermore, there's always Matt Smiley.

Moreover, Kelly Skipper.

Um, Bill Teerlinck.

Jim Salgado, Jason Oszvart, Matt Worswick and Eric Ciano.

Oh, and Mark Loechler and Hal Luther.

I mean, there's been more than 20% turnover.

Quick, you get the other villagers and I'll grab the pitchforks and torches.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 5/11/2019 at 12:57 PM, Da webster guy said:

Yeah I agree.   Elway is a good example of someone who has made some decent moves but if he doesn't finally land a stellar qb in the next few years he's getting replaced.

Just think, he could have drafted Josh Allen and been all set. But he had Case Keenum, so he passed

• Haha (+1) 1

13 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Mine?  I have not been negative on Allen

No, you were reacting to GreggTX fella. I was characterizing his post. They are one note when it comes to qb.

Edited by Dr. Who

9 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yeah, Frazier may be the  only initial staff still with the team. Outside of McDermott himself, of course.

Oh, plus Bob Babich.

And of course his son, Bobby Babich. But only them.

And in addition, Rob Boras.

And Chad Hall.

Along with John Egorugwu and Matt Lubick.

Furthermore, there's always Matt Smiley.

Moreover, Kelly Skipper.

Um, Bill Teerlinck.

Jim Salgado, Jason Oszvart, Matt Worswick and Eric Ciano.

Oh, and Mark Loechler and Hal Luther.

I mean, there's been more than 20% turnover.

Quick, you get the other villagers and I'll grab the pitchforks and torches.

Good for you cherry picking coaching changes, going all the way down to the micro level of water and towel boy.

After a (very quick) search, the following coordinators and position coaches have changed from 2017 to 2019:  OC, OL, DL, SpT, QB, WR, DB; and I may have missed a few.  Again, the only coordinator still around is Leslie Frazier.  Look at it again and you'll see (or maybe not) this is a lot of turnover.  But go ahead and continue to think McD did a bang-up job selecting coordinators and position coaches in 2017.

McD has been learning on the job, which is natural since he was not a HC at any point in his coaching career.  He has made a lot of mistakes, which is to be expected.  We all have to hope he has learned from those mistakes over the past two years and is better for it.

• Like (+1) 1

To be fair, I stopped liking our old OL coach when he was in a few of the videos last year. They probably shot hours of footage...cropped and edited it.....and he still came off as dumb as a pile of bricks. None of his sentences seemed to make any sense. Everything was just useless garbage coming out of his mouth. I don't know if maybe he was just a REALLY good hands on teacher but with the way our OL under performed so horribly last year I will guess not. Looking forward to this revamped line with a new OL coach. I really think its going to change EVERYTHING. 

14 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Good for you cherry picking coaching changes, going all the way down to the micro level of water and towel boy.

After a (very quick) search, the following coordinators and position coaches have changed from 2017 to 2019:  OC, OL, DL, SpT, QB, WR, DB; and I may have missed a few.  Again, the only coordinator still around is Leslie Frazier.  Look at it again and you'll see (or maybe not) this is a lot of turnover.  But go ahead and continue to think McD did a bang-up job selecting coordinators and position coaches in 2017.

McD has been learning on the job, which is natural since he was not a HC at any point in his coaching career.  He has made a lot of mistakes, which is to be expected.  We all have to hope he has learned from those mistakes over the past two years and is better for it.

Panties in a bunch from being wrong? Yeah, I understand. Don't take it so seriously, though. Everyone makes mistakes. Just don't try to spin so much and when it's pointed out that you're wrong, accept it. It's the way to go. Oh, and don't use the phrase "cherry -picking" till you understand it. I didn't pick and choose. I included every staff member who stayed. You probably should try to avoid obvious exaggerations too. There are no waterboys or the like listed. They're all listed in the "coaching staff" listing at buffalobills.com. It was you who tried to go beyond that, saying Frazier may be the only "staff" still with the team. "The only staff," you said, and it's me who's desperately exaggerating?

If you'd said, "the following coordinators and position coaches have changed," I wouldn't have argued. Or if you'd said, "only one of the three original coordinators is around, Leslie Frazier," again, I wouldn't have answered.

But you didn't. Instead you piled on the wrongness. To remind you of what you said, here it is:  "I think Leslie Frazier may be the only initial staff still with the team ... " "Staff," you said, not "coach." That's called being full of it, not to mention spinning like a turbo-charged dreidel.

As for the attaboy for pointing that out, thanks. You're right, I deserve it. As I mentioned, there was not that much turnover among staff. Certainly some. And anyone who would have gone ahead and put the specifics would have gotten my approval. 

And don't worry about about throwing in a straw man in the last paragraph, accusing me of saying something I never said so you can pretend you have a point to make. Or find where I said I was continuing to "think McD did a bang up job ..." though you won't find it, because those are your words, not mine. Typical straw man tactics for someone trying to draw attention away from their own mis-statement.

Edited by Thurman#1

On 5/12/2019 at 6:21 PM, billsredneck1 said:

i haven't heard or have seen your posts in a while...which...correct me if i'm wrong fellow members, are generally to the negative. as to my point, i thought castillo, frazier and rico were gumba hires. bobbie johnson with daboll are gonna be the backbone to this offense for years. juan and daboll were like oil and water. the only question mark on this staff is frazier. if mcd has to right the ship too many times he will be gone too. i am very happy otherwise with the coaches right now. we are gonna improve dramatically on all phases.

the only iffy part is defensive line scheme.

You’re wrong.

They are ALWAYS to the negative.

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Panties in a bunch from being wrong? Yeah, I understand. Don't take it so seriously, though. Everyone makes mistakes. Just don't try to spin so much and when it's pointed out that you're wrong, accept it. It's the way to go. Oh, and don't use the phrase "cherry -picking" till you understand it. I didn't pick and choose. I included every staff member who stayed. You probably should try to avoid obvious exaggerations too. There are no waterboys or the like listed. They're all listed in the "coaching staff" listing at buffalobills.com. It was you who tried to go beyond that, saying Frazier may be the only "staff" still with the team. "The only staff," you said, and it's me who's desperately exaggerating?

If you'd said, "the following coordinators and position coaches have changed," I wouldn't have argued. Or if you'd said, "only one of the three original coordinators is around, Leslie Frazier," again, I wouldn't have answered.

But you didn't. Instead you piled on the wrongness. To remind you of what you said, here it is:  "I think Leslie Frazier may be the only initial staff still with the team ... " "Staff," you said, not "coach." That's called being full of it, not to mention spinning like a turbo-charged dreidel.

As for the attaboy for pointing that out, thanks. You're right, I deserve it. As I mentioned, there was not that much turnover among staff. Certainly some. And anyone who would have gone ahead and put the specifics would have gotten my approval. 

And don't worry about about throwing in a straw man in the last paragraph, accusing me of saying something I never said so you can pretend you have a point to make. Or find where I said I was continuing to "think McD did a bang up job ..." though you won't find it, because those are your words, not mine. Typical straw man tactics for someone trying to draw attention away from their own mis-statement.

I'm going to keep this short and simple since it isn't worth my time. This isn't about being "right" or "wrong," but if you want to construe it that way, then have at it.  If you want to split hairs regarding staff vs coach, I don't want to be bothered.  Waste of time.  Funny you're the only person who finds fault.

My ONLY point was that the following coordinators and position coaches changed since 2017: OC, OL, DL, SpT, QB, WR, DB; which is MOST of them which includes a 2/3 coordinator turnover.  I'm not going down to the quality control and trainer level.  Don't accuse me of trying to "make a point" I never attempted to make, or even "exaggerate"...the previous sentence was my ONLY point.  In other words, the McD coaching tenure has been very volatile over the past two years.

I'll be sure to check with you from now on regarding staff titles since you're the expert and all.  Have yourself a wonderful day.

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 12:43 PM, BuffaloBill said:

No, that is your logic and assumption. Just because a caterpillar can turn into a butterfly does not mean the opposite is the case. 

Named Buffalo Bill, AND talking about caterpillars and butterflies?!?!?!?!?!

I KNEW IT!!!

jamegumb.jpg

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I'm going to keep this short and simple since it isn't worth my time. This isn't about being "right" or "wrong," but if you want to construe it that way, then have at it.  If you want to split hairs regarding staff vs coach, I don't want to be bothered.  Waste of time.  Funny you're the only person who finds fault.

My ONLY point was that the following coordinators and position coaches changed since 2017: OC, OL, DL, SpT, QB, WR, DB; which is MOST of them which includes a 2/3 coordinator turnover.  I'm not going down to the quality control and trainer level.  Don't accuse me of trying to "make a point" I never attempted to make, or even "exaggerate"...the previous sentence was my ONLY point.  In other words, the McD coaching tenure has been very volatile over the past two years.

I'll be sure to check with you from now on regarding staff titles since you're the expert and all.  Have yourself a wonderful day.

Funny how it's always the people who are wrong who don't think it's about being right or wrong.

And guess what, if your only point is that Guys A, B, C, D and E are gone, here's what you should have done. You should have said, "Guys A, B, C, D and E are gone. You should NOT on the other hand have said ""I think Leslie Frazier may be the only initial staff still with the team ... " 

That was the problem.

On 5/11/2019 at 6:31 PM, Stallions said:

As a rookie HC with a team that has a long history of losing you get what's available at the end of the line.  Juan is now an "Analyst" for Michigan.  At 59 his NFL coaching may be over.  His time with the Ravens under the brother of Michigan's Head Coach  probably got him the job.

"what's available at the end of the line" and the Bills history of losing had absolutely nothing to do with the hire of Castillo as OL coach.

McDermott and Castillo go way back.  They spent like 10 years coaching together on the Iggles under Andy Reid.  They pinky swore if one of them got to be HC, he'd hire the other or some story like that.  There coulda been 10 OL coaches lined up and McDermott would have still hired his bud, Castillo, whom he hired before he hired his OC.  He was still part of the package when Daboll came in, "give him a try".

The same is true of David Culley, last year's QB coach.  He was WR coach on the Iggles coaching staff under Reid for a decade when McDermott was there.  He wanted broader experience in the hope of improving his shot at HC so McDermott brought him in as QB coach and said "here you go" to Dennison and Daboll.  We're fortunate Harbaugh was willing to give him the "Assistant Head Coach" title.

Who was the OL coach for Chan? Talk about making average guys look good! Then again, Fitz wasn't holding the ball very long. Allen will need to get rid of it much sooner this year as well, but he has some experience now so that should help.

3 hours ago, GreggTX said:

Who was the OL coach for Chan? Talk about making average guys look good! Then again, Fitz wasn't holding the ball very long. Allen will need to get rid of it much sooner this year as well, but he has some experience now so that should help.

Joe D is a solid OL coach who's now with B-More, but the line's he had consisted of Levitre, Wood and Glenn. 

Castillo was awful and it was time to move on, but the lack of talent last season was pretty astounding. The pass blocking was bad. The run blocking was WORSE. One of the worst run blocking units I've ever seen. Castillo+poor talent=awful. The overall talent is now NFL standard. Let's hope Bobby Johnson proves to be a great find.

On 5/11/2019 at 12:29 PM, Kemp said:

Name all of the GMs since the NFL became a passing league who have been considered great without a stellar QB, and the reverse.

Whether any of us think it's a fair way to evaluate a GM, that is almost always how it plays out. I'm surprised anyone wouldn't believe that.

If Josh Allen becomes a legit stud at QB, almost everyone here will think Beane has done a good job.

If Allen fails, most people here will want Beane gone. Again, it may or may not be fair, but it's reality. 

I don’t think Flacco or Eli we’re stellar QBs, but, they have 3 Championships between them.  They had strong teams, HCs and GMs.

However, I agree they are the exception to the rule.