The most encouraging rookie camp observation that I saw

9 hours ago, mykidsdad said:

While I love this guy's tape, I think projects like Wade are novelties. I would love to find a hidden gem, but all of the talent in the world wont make up for the lack of instincts and muscle memory that an NFL caliber player typically has earned since playing football since he was 5. Exceptions prove the rule of course, but in general the gap is just so wide projects like Wade just are a waste of time and energy. Maybe he makes sense from a PR standpoint, but it is likely all flash and no fire.

Have you seen him play rugby? 

Edited by Rocky Landing

19 hours ago, Augie said:

I don’t know what the other options were going into the first season, and I’m sure people can throw out some names, but you’re operating at a disadvantage having to fill a staff in a hurry. Given time and as more guys become available, I’d expect some upgrades, and it seems like we have that. 

And the ability to admit mistakes and move on is vastly underrated! 

agreed on both counts.

MCD learning to be a head coach had to designate duties regardless. Cannot do everything.

Looks like FO and Coach are learning and working hard to improve the team short and long term.

18 hours ago, elltrain22 said:

If all of this emphasis on our offense, in particular, our offensive line, equates to a solid running game, it will REALLY open up our offense. Allen could easily be an MVP candidate if he continues to progress. 

Which in turn , will help the defense improve.

: 0

...probably a speculative unsubstantiated hunch, but it appears so far that there could be some talented football players in the final 37 cuts.....hard to remember the last time Bflo was faced with such a conundrum....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 5/11/2019 at 8:54 AM, TigerJ said:

From the Syracuse Post Standard on offensive line coach, Bobby Johnson:

4. Bobby Johnson looks like significant upgrade at OL coach

Juan Castillo wasn't a bad coach by any stretch but he wasn't very noticeable. Not all great coaches are animated or loud, but the good ones are engaged and energetic. Bobby Johnson's first practice as Bills offensive line coach was impressive. He seemed to connect with players and brought some juice. That's going to be important for a group that dramatically underperformed in 2018.

http://expo.newyorkupstate.com/sports/g66l-2019/05/ec59a0212c4c4/buffalo-bills-rookie-camp-2019-7-observations-on-ed-oliver-cody-ford-and-more.html

If you add better players, which the Bills did, you should get better offensive line play.  If you add a better coach, which the Bills apparently did, you should get improved offensive line play.  If you add both, maybe we have something really good about to happen.

Coaches always look smarter when you give them better players to work with,  the group last year was a bunch of scrubs and yet it is the coach we blame.

13 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

Coaches always look smarter when you give them better players to work with,  the group last year was a bunch of scrubs and yet it is the coach we blame.

This is true.  That's why I never blamed Castillo when our offensive linemen looked overmatched.

But I did blame him when they looked unprepared and/or out of position.  And that happened too often.   

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

That's why I like this regime. If it's not working it's getting revamped. No one's job is safe. Get out there and earn it

On 5/11/2019 at 1:28 PM, ScottLaw said:

?

This is a terrible excuse.

Not sure if Kromer wasn't interested but keeping him on board would've made A LOT more sense than hiring Castillo. Kromer is an excellent O Line coach. 

agreed but, i think 1st year coaches may tend to feel obligated to guys they've worked with in the past. then when the heat gets cranked up, they man up and make decisions.

i think the way our staff is built now is fantastic. i've always had my reservations with frazier but i'm willing to trust mcd as long as he exercises control over the d when needed.

On 5/11/2019 at 8:54 AM, TigerJ said:

From the Syracuse Post Standard on offensive line coach, Bobby Johnson:

4. Bobby Johnson looks like significant upgrade at OL coach

Juan Castillo wasn't a bad coach by any stretch but he wasn't very noticeable. Not all great coaches are animated or loud, but the good ones are engaged and energetic. Bobby Johnson's first practice as Bills offensive line coach was impressive. He seemed to connect with players and brought some juice. That's going to be important for a group that dramatically underperformed in 2018.

http://expo.newyorkupstate.com/sports/g66l-2019/05/ec59a0212c4c4/buffalo-bills-rookie-camp-2019-7-observations-on-ed-oliver-cody-ford-and-more.html

If you add better players, which the Bills did, you should get better offensive line play.  If you add a better coach, which the Bills apparently did, you should get improved offensive line play.  If you add both, maybe we have something really good about to happen.

Imagine JA with an effective running game.

Last year's rush offense may have been the worst rushing Bills offense, outside of QB, that I've ever seen.

On 5/11/2019 at 9:11 AM, JESSEFEFFER said:

It seemed most every Josh Allen scramble started with the Bills failing to block a line stunt.  It's not like it was a slow process either.  Blocks were beaten right at the snap.   I wonder what the analytics say about that.  Communication and attitude, I hope the new OL coach brings that to the group and maybe Mitch Morse can be the Kent Hull like leader they need. 

Mitch Morse calling protections has to be an improvement over Groy (terrible) and Bodine (bad), and it is often overlooked. Wood and Hull were generally good at this.

33 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

That's not really an excuse.

You feel obligated to hire someone you worked with before even if he blows at what he does?That's a terrible reason to hire someone and a easy way to get yourself fired. 

well look who came up for air.  why did he hire rico, frazier and castillo?..

On 5/11/2019 at 12:14 PM, Kemp said:

The success or failure of Josh Allen will determine whether Beane is a success or failure.

putting Josh Allen in a position to succeed or fail will determine if Beane is a success or failure.

He went way beyond expectations given his situation last year.

I'm not worried about JA, I want the team around him better. Ha made Zay Jones and Robert Foster start to look legitimate in the last 6 games of the season.

Improve the OL, add WRs see what happens.

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

What the ***** are you talking about??

i haven't heard or have seen your posts in a while...which...correct me if i'm wrong fellow members, are generally to the negative. as to my point, i thought castillo, frazier and rico were gumba hires. bobbie johnson with daboll are gonna be the backbone to this offense for years. juan and daboll were like oil and water. the only question mark on this staff is frazier. if mcd has to right the ship too many times he will be gone too. i am very happy otherwise with the coaches right now. we are gonna improve dramatically on all phases.

the only iffy part is defensive line scheme.

6 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

i haven't heard or have seen your posts in a while...which...correct me if i'm wrong fellow members, are generally to the negative. as to my point, i thought castillo, frazier and rico were gumba hires. bobbie johnson with daboll are gonna be the backbone to this offense for years. juan and daboll were like oil and water. the only question mark on this staff is frazier. if mcd has to right the ship too many times he will be gone too. i am very happy otherwise with the coaches right now. we are gonna improve dramatically on all phases.

the only iffy part is defensive line scheme.

Only question mark is Frazier????

Come on dude. What has Daboll done? He was a questionable hire last year with mostly unsuccessful NFL track record.  I would give him an incomplete grade for last year as the talent level on the line was terrible and Clay/KB regressed terribly. 

This year he has enough pieces on paper to run a competent offense. I just hope he keeps it simple until they have time to gel.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, mykidsdad said:

While I love this guy's tape, I think projects like Wade are novelties. I would love to find a hidden gem, but all of the talent in the world wont make up for the lack of instincts and muscle memory that an NFL caliber player typically has earned since playing football since he was 5. Exceptions prove the rule of course, but in general the gap is just so wide projects like Wade just are a waste of time and energy. Maybe he makes sense from a PR standpoint, but it is likely all flash and no fire.

This doesn't make any sense.  How do you know he lacks instincts?  Instinct means by definition he has a feeling for the game and situations that cannot be taught. Since he hasn't played much how do you know if this is the case or not?  He very might well have great football instincts he just hasn't had a chance to show it yet.  

Not saying this is the case, but it seems silly to say he doesn't have instincts when by definition the amount of time a player has played a game has no bearing on that.

4 hours ago, matter2003 said:

This doesn't make any sense.  How do you know he lacks instincts?  Instinct means by definition he has a feeling for the game and situations that cannot be taught. Since he hasn't played much how do you know if this is the case or not?  He very might well have great football instincts he just hasn't had a chance to show it yet.  

Not saying this is the case, but it seems silly to say he doesn't have instincts when by definition the amount of time a player has played a game has no bearing on that.

When I say instincts, I mean a feel for the game that comes from playing the game. The way you react, and make sudden movements and the reliance on muscle memory all come from playing the game starting at a very young age. I'd love to be wrong.

7 minutes ago, mykidsdad said:

When I say instincts, I mean a feel for the game that comes from playing the game. The way you react, and make sudden movements and the reliance on muscle memory all come from playing the game starting at a very young age. I'd love to be wrong.

Well, if there's any other sport that would translate to being a football RB, it's rugby. And, in all honesty, transitioning from professional rugby to the NFL is maybe not so much greater a leap than transitioning from college football to the NFL.

47 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

Well, if there's any other sport that would translate to being a football RB, it's rugby. And, in all honesty, transitioning from professional rugby to the NFL is maybe not so much greater a leap than transitioning from college football to the NFL.

I totally agree that Rugby might be close enough. Here's hoping.