The most encouraging rookie camp observation that I saw

5 hours ago, Bangarang said:

His initial coaching staff on offense was Dennison as OC, Castillo as o-line coach, Culley as QB coach and McGeoghan as WR coach. 

I mean I think that is fair the d has been good the o not good and that does constitute a lot

i will say that McDonald’s shows the abilirlty to admit mistakes and make changes

4 hours ago, NewEra said:

For sure. The Castillo hiring was the only hiring that I opening loathed and challenged.  His work as OL and run game coordinator was awful.  As run game coordinator for the ravens in 2013, they averaged a league low 3.1 per attempt, ranked around the middle of the pack in attempts while finishing with the 3rd lowest rushing yards.  His OL in Baltimore had way more talent than we did imo.  It was inevitable that he would either be fired or McD would lose his job because he kept him.  

He must be a HELLUVA guy because he's AWFUL at coaching OL/run game and Andy Reid gave him run at DC! Just an awful, awful coach.

Edited by LSHMEAB
  • Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I mean I think that is fair the d has been good the o not good and that does constitute a lot

i will say that McDonald’s shows the abilirlty to admit mistakes and make changes

I don’t know what the other options were going into the first season, and I’m sure people can throw out some names, but you’re operating at a disadvantage having to fill a staff in a hurry. Given time and as more guys become available, I’d expect some upgrades, and it seems like we have that. 

And the ability to admit mistakes and move on is vastly underrated! 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, ganesh said:

Now it is up to Allen and McCoy to show up on game day against a better OL.  We simply cannot run an offense when your QB has the most rushing yards in the season

I think Allen's rushing yards and our run game are two entirely different things.  To lump them together, IMO, isn't an indication of why Allen lead the team nor why we had such a poor rushing attack.  

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Always a good idea to change your taste for coaches when your first set of hires are big flops.??

also goes without saying, but I will say it anyways, that the perfect coaches for all positions were not available when Sean was hired, therefore the coaching staff is still being finalized. When certain areas of the team underwhelm or fail and better coaches become available whom want to come here, the swap out are made

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Da webster guy said:

Yeah I agree.   Elway is a good example of someone who has made some decent moves but if he doesn't finally land a stellar qb in the next few years he's getting replaced.

Elway lucked out with Manning and has been looking for his replacement since 2012 (Osweiler).

This Flacco/Lock thing is his last chance with Donkey fans, and that's what they said last year!

LOL

3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

?

This is a terrible excuse.

Not sure if Kromer wasn't interested but keeping him on board would've made A LOT more sense than hiring Castillo. Kromer is an excellent O Line coach. 

They did make the playoffs with a garbage team the first year...do none of the coaches get any credit for that?  And at least they are willing to admit mistakes and correct them quickly.  It's like some fans expect every move to be the right move or they should be fired.  Just unrealistic expectations.  

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, TigerJ said:

From the Syracuse Post Standard on offensive line coach, Bobby Johnson:

4. Bobby Johnson looks like significant upgrade at OL coach

Juan Castillo wasn't a bad coach by any stretch but he wasn't very noticeable. Not all great coaches are animated or loud, but the good ones are engaged and energetic. Bobby Johnson's first practice as Bills offensive line coach was impressive. He seemed to connect with players and brought some juice. That's going to be important for a group that dramatically underperformed in 2018.

http://expo.newyorkupstate.com/sports/g66l-2019/05/ec59a0212c4c4/buffalo-bills-rookie-camp-2019-7-observations-on-ed-oliver-cody-ford-and-more.html

If you add better players, which the Bills did, you should get better offensive line play.  If you add a better coach, which the Bills apparently did, you should get improved offensive line play.  If you add both, maybe we have something really good about to happen.

"... A group that dramatically underperformed" is an odd choice of words for a "group" that has never played together. Chances are that there will be one starting O-lineman (Dawkins) from last season, and he is by no means a lock for a starting role.

I hope they keep Tyree Jackson even if he falters. He's a project from the ground up, but well worth the investment in time and attention IMO. We really don't know where his ceiling is, but given his natural attributes, it could be pretty high.

9 hours ago, ganesh said:

Now it is up to Allen and McCoy to show up on game day against a better OL.  We simply cannot run an offense when your QB has the most rushing yards in the season

Given the current RB roster, it's going to happen again.

9 hours ago, Bangarang said:

His initial coaching staff on offense was Dennison as OC, Castillo as o-line coach, Culley as QB coach and McGeoghan as WR coach. 

As a rookie HC with a team that has a long history of losing you get what's available at the end of the line.

9 hours ago, Bangarang said:

As a rookie HC with a team that has a long history of losing you get what's available at the end of the line.  Juan is now an "Analyst" for Michigan.  At 59 his NFL coaching may be over.  His time with the Ravens under the brother of Michigan's Head Coach  probably got him the job.

1 hour ago, GreggTX said:

I hope they keep Tyree Jackson even if he falters. He's a project from the ground up, but well worth the investment in time and attention IMO. We really don't know where his ceiling is, but given his natural attributes, it could be pretty high.

That is exactly what the PS is for. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Buffalophil1948 said:

Looking at his highlight real i could see this guy making a fantastic gunner on the punt team. Want to see how he is lined up behind an oline

Nah... I say give him the rock and let him do what he's always done with it... -Score.

5 hours ago, #34fan said:

I also heard Christian Wade was looking like a STUD out there.  -Just sayin'.

I started looking at his game tape. He has exceptional acceleration, and strength, and cuts on a dime. I think a lot of people have ignored him because of the odd circumstances that brought him into the NFL. It's more or less a marketing ploy, after all. But, the guy is exciting as hell to watch. Huge upper body strength, and mad skills. If he can make the transition from pro rugby to NFL (and why not?), then he will be one to watch. It will be hard for any of the other the RBs to break into the triad of Shady/Gore/Singletary. But, if one of them falls out, for whatever reason, keep an eye on Wade. He's the real deal.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

I started looking at his game tape. He has exceptional acceleration, and strength, and cuts on a dime. I think a lot of people have ignored him because of the odd circumstances that brought him into the NFL. It's more or less a marketing ploy, after all. But, the guy is exciting as hell to watch. Huge upper body strength, and mad skills. If he can make the transition from pro rugby to NFL (and why not?), then he will be one to watch. It will be hard for any of the other the RBs to break into the triad of Shady/Gore/Singletary. But, if one of them falls out, for whatever reason, keep an eye on Wade. He's the real deal.

While I love this guy's tape, I think projects like Wade are novelties. I would love to find a hidden gem, but all of the talent in the world wont make up for the lack of instincts and muscle memory that an NFL caliber player typically has earned since playing football since he was 5. Exceptions prove the rule of course, but in general the gap is just so wide projects like Wade just are a waste of time and energy. Maybe he makes sense from a PR standpoint, but it is likely all flash and no fire.