The most encouraging rookie camp observation that I saw

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

For sure. The Castillo hiring was the only hiring that I opening loathed and challenged.  His work as OL and run game coordinator was awful.  As run game coordinator for the ravens in 2013, they averaged a league low 3.1 per attempt, ranked around the middle of the pack in attempts while finishing with the 3rd lowest rushing yards.  His OL in Baltimore had way more talent than we did imo.  It was inevitable that he would either be fired or McD would lose his job because he kept him.  

I'll confess I didn't realize how bad Castillo was until we hired him.  In fact, I remember Castillo getting positive reviews as the OL coach in Philly until they bizarrely made him the DC - apparently thinking at the time that he'd be an upgrade over our very own Sean McDermott!   I was oblivious to his struggles in Baltimore.  

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Jpsredemption said:

The Castillo hire underwhelming along with a lot McDermotts initial staff. 

Which should have been expected given how the organization was perceived around the league at that time.  Competent professionals don't want to work in an environment with a lame duck GM. 

Juan Castillo could have been Jim Hanifan (he isn't) but there wasn't much to work with last season.  The BILLS are very fortunate that Josh Allen didn't get completely wrecked behind that Oline with that group of wide receivers.  It had David Carr/Tim Couch written all over it.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

If the Bills don’t improve on o-line then Bean is a failure at GM as is McDermott as a coach. They have done a lot to address the situation. 

The success or failure of Josh Allen will determine whether Beane is a success or failure.

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...and the OTHER 52 get a free pass I suppose.....now there's an intuitive comment...SMH.....

If you don't think this is how it will play out, then perception history of every franchise must be wrong.

3 minutes ago, Kemp said:

If you don't think this is how it will play out, then perception history of every franchise must be wrong.

..so then EVERY GM who selected a QB in 2018 draft as well as 2019 for that matter should know their azz is on the line for ONE pick....if you say so.....SMH....

Just now, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

..so then EVERY GM who selected a QB in 2018 draft as well as 2019 for that matter should know their azz is on the line for ONE pick....if you say so.....SMH....

Name all of the GMs since the NFL became a passing league who have been considered great without a stellar QB, and the reverse.

Whether any of us think it's a fair way to evaluate a GM, that is almost always how it plays out. I'm surprised anyone wouldn't believe that.

If Josh Allen becomes a legit stud at QB, almost everyone here will think Beane has done a good job.

If Allen fails, most people here will want Beane gone. Again, it may or may not be fair, but it's reality. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

I presume if the opposite occurs you would agree both are successes?   Or maybe not.

No, that is your logic and assumption. Just because a caterpillar can turn into a butterfly does not mean the opposite is the case. 

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Kemp said:

Name all of the GMs since the NFL became a passing league who have been considered great without a stellar QB, and the reverse.

Whether any of us think it's a fair way to evaluate a GM, that is almost always how it plays out. I'm surprised anyone wouldn't believe that.

If Josh Allen becomes a legit stud at QB, almost everyone here will think Beane has done a good job.

If Allen fails, most people here will want Beane gone. Again, it may or may not be fair, but it's reality. 

Yeah I agree.   Elway is a good example of someone who has made some decent moves but if he doesn't finally land a stellar qb in the next few years he's getting replaced.

3 hours ago, Jpsredemption said:

The Castillo hire underwhelming along with a lot McDermotts initial staff. 

I remember reading some good things about Castillo.  I wonder if he's just getting tired of the grind.  Coaching is a grind to be sure.  McDermott has shifted in his assistant hires from targeting experience to youth, enthusiasm, and a hands on style for his position coaches.  I think the point of hiring experience was to feel a little more secure as a new head coach hire.  Now, having a little experience of his own he's developing a taste for what he likes in his position coaches.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, aceman_16 said:

So four out of 27. Okay I was just curious how many "a lot" was to some people to fit narratives.

I don’t recall saying a lot but you asked for him to elaborate so I threw some names out there off the top of my head.

I couldn’t tell you how many coaches from McD’s initial staff are still on the team or even still coaching for that matter.

Regardless, his initial offensive staff was largely a big pile of ? 

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

Tiger -

thanks for the post and the link.  there's lots of good stuff in that article.

the picture of Singletary, Oliver and Ford together is interesting.  Ford is a giant!

....and Singletary....is not. 

In teresting (and encouraging) to hear him called the best player on the field. I know, that doesn’t mean anything on day one of rookie camp in May, but it still makes me want to get a look at him in a game. 

3 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Completely agree.  I think Leslie Frazier may be the only initial staff still with the team, and he too underwhelms.

I once felt that way about Leslie

I no longer do.
He is executing the design nicely.
Full court press to address the Offense this year gets my thumbs up.

1 hour ago, TigerJ said:

I remember reading some good things about Castillo.  I wonder if he's just getting tired of the grind.  Coaching is a grind to be sure.  McDermott has shifted in his assistant hires from targeting experience to youth, enthusiasm, and a hands on style for his position coaches.  I think the point of hiring experience was to feel a little more secure as a new head coach hire.  Now, having a little experience of his own he's developing a taste for what he likes in his position coaches.

nailed it !

30 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

I once felt that way about Leslie

I no longer do.
He is executing the design nicely.
Full court press to address the Offense this year gets my thumbs up.

I''ll admit this, after the bye week (week 11), things got a lot better as far as the defense goes.  It is still kind of concerning how the defense let the Dolphins score 21 and the Jets 27 or Dec 2 and 9, respectively.  I'll give Frazier this year, as well as McDermott, before I get too critical on both.  For the attention that was paid to the defense in 2017 and 2018 by the FO, it should have been better than it was.  But we'll see...

Offense was in desperate need to be addressed, so that was good to see.  i still think we're short a DE/edge; and please don't count on Trent Murphy since that is setting up for disappointment.

• Like (+1) 1