The most encouraging rookie camp observation that I saw

From the Syracuse Post Standard on offensive line coach, Bobby Johnson:

4. Bobby Johnson looks like significant upgrade at OL coach

Juan Castillo wasn't a bad coach by any stretch but he wasn't very noticeable. Not all great coaches are animated or loud, but the good ones are engaged and energetic. Bobby Johnson's first practice as Bills offensive line coach was impressive. He seemed to connect with players and brought some juice. That's going to be important for a group that dramatically underperformed in 2018.

http://expo.newyorkupstate.com/sports/g66l-2019/05/ec59a0212c4c4/buffalo-bills-rookie-camp-2019-7-observations-on-ed-oliver-cody-ford-and-more.html

If you add better players, which the Bills did, you should get better offensive line play.  If you add a better coach, which the Bills apparently did, you should get improved offensive line play.  If you add both, maybe we have something really good about to happen.

• Like (+1) 32
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

If you add better players, which the Bills did, you should get better offensive line play.  If you add a better coach, which the Bills apparently did, you should get improved offensive line play.  If you add both, maybe we have something really good about to happen.

Now it is up to Allen and McCoy to show up on game day against a better OL.  We simply cannot run an offense when your QB has the most rushing yards in the season

• Like (+1) 3

It seemed most every Josh Allen scramble started with the Bills failing to block a line stunt.  It's not like it was a slow process either.  Blocks were beaten right at the snap.   I wonder what the analytics say about that.  Communication and attitude, I hope the new OL coach brings that to the group and maybe Mitch Morse can be the Kent Hull like leader they need. 

• Like (+1) 5

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

If the Bills don’t improve on o-line then Bean is a failure at GM as is McDermott as a coach. They have done a lot to address the situation. 

I presume if the opposite occurs you would agree both are successes?   Or maybe not.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

45 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Now it is up to Allen and McCoy to show up on game day against a better OL.

WTH.....McBeane is moving them to DL?!? Fire them all with this gross mismanagement!!!!!

26 minutes ago, Jpsredemption said:

The Castillo hire underwhelming along with a lot McDermotts initial staff. 

A lot? Please elaborate.

Edited by aceman_16
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

47 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

4. Bobby Johnson looks like significant upgrade at OL coach

Juan Castillo wasn't a bad coach by any stretch but he wasn't very noticeable. Not all great coaches are animated or loud, but the good ones are engaged and energetic. Bobby Johnson's first practice as Bills offensive line coach was impressive. He seemed to connect with players and brought some juice. That's going to be important for a group that dramatically underperformed in 2018.

http://expo.newyorkupstate.com/sports/g66l-2019/05/ec59a0212c4c4/buffalo-bills-rookie-camp-2019-7-observations-on-ed-oliver-cody-ford-and-more.html

I saw this too and was encouraged.  Our OL looked physically overmatched at times last year.  But other times they simply looked unprepared.  

I'll say this for Greg Roman - the running plays were well-designed and the offensive linemen, while not road graders, were typically in the right place at the right time doing the right thing.  And that created running lanes.  Unlike last season.  

The article says Bobby Johnson was  "engaged and energetic."  I'm guessing this is in contrast to Castillo who was what?  Disengaged and lethargic?  

Games are won and lost in the trenches, as they say, and this will be a better year.

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Now it is up to Allen and McCoy to show up on game day against a better OL.  We simply cannot run an offense when your QB has the most rushing yards in the season

Hopefully McCoy has a good year, but I think Frank Gore will be a 1st down getting machine. 2nd and 3 or 3rd and 2, Gore get's the ball behind that line and it's a 1st down all the time.

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, aceman_16 said:

A lot? Please elaborate.

His initial coaching staff on offense was Dennison as OC, Castillo as o-line coach, Culley as QB coach and McGeoghan as WR coach. 

Edited by Bangarang
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

His initial coaching staff on offense was Dennison as OC, Castillo as o-line coach, Culley as QB coach and McGeophan as WR coach. 

This.  And it would’ve cost him his job if he didn’t let them go.  I was sad when each of them were hired.  I’m happy 2 years later.  

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Jpsredemption said:

The Castillo hire underwhelming along with a lot McDermotts initial staff. 

Completely agree.  I think Leslie Frazier may be the only initial staff still with the team, and he too underwhelms.

Edited by Happy Gilmore
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

I presume if the opposite occurs you would agree both are successes?   Or maybe not.

No that just means they are doing what they should have been doing all along. Nothing positive can be said about doing your job. Or so I've heard anyways. 

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

This.  And it would’ve cost him his job if he didn’t let them go.  I was sad when each of them were hired.  I’m happy 2 years later.  

As you probably know, no HC hires his dream staff his first year in the saddle.  The best coordinators and position coaches are typically employed and under contract.   When he came to the Bills, McD hired the best unwanted castoffs that were available.

Over time, he'll continue to build his staff.   This season, it sure feels like we have upgrades at the QB and OL coaching positions.  

• Like (+1) 9
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Bangarang said:

His initial coaching staff on offense was Dennison as OC, Castillo as o-line coach, Culley as QB coach and McGeoghan as WR coach. 

So four out of 27. Okay I was just curious how many "a lot" was to some people to fit narratives.

5 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

As you probably know, no HC hires his dream staff his first year in the saddle.  The best coordinators and position coaches are typically employed and under contract.   When he came to the Bills, McD hired the best unwanted castoffs that were available.

Over time, he'll continue to build his staff.   This season, it sure feels like we have upgrades at the QB and OL coaching positions.  

For sure. The Castillo hiring was the only hiring that I opening loathed and challenged.  His work as OL and run game coordinator was awful.  As run game coordinator for the ravens in 2013, they averaged a league low 3.1 per attempt, ranked around the middle of the pack in attempts while finishing with the 3rd lowest rushing yards.  His OL in Baltimore had way more talent than we did imo.  It was inevitable that he would either be fired or McD would lose his job because he kept him.  

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, I am the egg man said:

The most encouraging rookie camp observation.....

.....full participation and no injuries ?

....and no one declared a "bust" yet on TBD??....somethin' ain't passin' the smell test........

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1