Mark Pike’s son is trying out with Bills - heck of a story

1 hour ago, WotAGuy said:

Doctors are clueless about drugs and effects. I broke my ankle a few years ago and my ortho told me I would need pain meds for a week afterward.  I told him I was in recovery for addiction to pain meds. He said “I think you’re really going to want them”.  Well, duh. 

Oh.  My.  Gawd.

Clueless, yes, but That is epic cluelessness.

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Oh.  My.  Gawd.

Clueless, yes, but That is epic cluelessness.

That was “with cause”! My son faced elective jaw surgery, informed the doctor he was in recovery and needed to stay away from the meds, and the doctor still wanted to proceed saying “we’ll watch over it”. 

I see absolutely nothing distinguishing this kid from any other spoiled druggie-loser...  He didn't start out using drugs to treat pain... He started out like every

other dummy who ended up lost and strung out... He thought it could be cool...How many young men without famous fathers lose their way every year, and no

one gives a crap. This thread isn't inspiring, -it's sickening.  in fact, I can't think of anyone more undeserving of this opportunity than this Pike idiot. 

This thread must be a joke.

Edited by #34fan
clarity

16 minutes ago, #34fan said:

I see absolutely nothing distinguishing this kid from any other spoiled druggie-loser...  He didn't start out using drugs to treat pain... He started out like every

other dummy who ended up lost and strung out... He thought it could be cool...How many young men without famous fathers lose their way evey year, and no

one gives a crap. This thread isn't inspiring, -it's sickening.  in fact, I can't think of anyone more undeserving of this opportunity than this Pike idiot. 

He who has not sinned cast the first stone...

those are harsh words calling him an idiot and a dummy when you have never met him 

People don’t always cope with issues the same and this young man was on the brink

he needs prayers not ridicule 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

He who has not sinned cast the first stone...

those are harsh words calling him an idiot and a dummy when you have never met him 

People don’t always cope with issues the same and this young man was on the brink

he needs prayers not ridicule 

Yah..  -Pray he doesn't kill anyone in his next DUI.

8 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

I've seen documentaries on Ohio's epidemic . It's really the whole country. I feel it is at a point where major reform should be coming from the Government. It's the leading cause of death for ppl I believe. Numbers are just astonishing

And the cures and rehab centers will be run by the companies that started the epidemic.

It's like Through a Scanner Darkly

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, billsintaiwan said:

And the cures and rehab centers will be run by the companies that started the epidemic.

It's like Through a Scanner Darkly

Ha.  They won't be run by the same people.  Not nearly so much profit in rehab, and no simple pill for a cure

But the neighbors of the drug company CEOs are the CEOs of the for-profit prisons we're filling with addicts

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, #34fan said:

other dummy who ended up lost and strung out... He thought it could be cool...How many young men without famous fathers lose their way every year, and no

The difference is that he plays football and is being given a chance, however slim, to continue that. If there are others like him I hope they are also given a chance. It’s up to them what they do with it. I personally hope Karlos Williams gets another chance too. Drug addiction is different than say, convicted abusers. Those guys shouldn’t be in the nfl. Jmo. 

• Like (+1) 3

18 hours ago, WotAGuy said:

You may not know that 12-Step recovery is based on finding a spiritual solution to addiction. The 12 steps are based on finding a Higher Power or “God” to give over control of one’s life and to get one’s “house in order”. 

Pike’s grandfather was a Baptist minister and Mark Pike was always one to lead prayer circles at midfield after games. It’s natural that Zeke Pike would gravitate toward a ministry as part of getting his house in order. 

Although there are many that give religion a bad name, there are many, many more that turn to spirituality/religion to cope with life. It doesn’t make them infallible, or make them impervious to having problem employees or addict children. 

Enabling addicts and troublemakers is, in my experience, a completely separate issue from following a religion or being spiritual. It can be an affliction in itself, codependency is one example. 

Those programs also talk about taking an honest self assessment of one's self daily, helping out others with no strings attached and not judging others, doing the next right thing, and turning the results over to a higher power and having faith.  Religions often promise too much and judge too much and it is easy to get sucked into all that and be manipulated and lose perspective. Tough for someone new to abstaining to make those distinctions while developing a faith that works to keep them from giving up and going back to the pain they know. Keeping busy while buying time to gain perspective is really important.  My brother never got there despite numerous attempts.

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, #34fan said:

There isnt anything different and many dont get a second chance or more... sometimes it takes more than 1, but you dont give up on them and as difficult as it is you dont enable either.  No easy answers to while some get it and stay abstained and most do not. Watching my brother get help, do well for a time and then see his demons revisit him and ultimately result in his demise was heart breaking.  Have a number of friends and people I know who are no longer with us and some who have stuck with it... but for the grace of God there go I.

On 5/11/2019 at 10:41 AM, EasternOHBillsFan said:

I wouldn't even give him a look... it seems as if he hasn't hit rock bottom yet as the 2018 arrest proves. Sometimes addicts are given too many chances and prolongs their problem. He obviously still thinks his athletic ability may get him yet another chance, but if he was signed, unfortunately his salary might fuel another binge. He needs to find regular employment and continue his road to recovery. Unfortunately, I was one of those who gave my guy multiple chances to sober up because he was an excellent technician. Unfortunately, he still had not hit rock bottom until he was kicked out of the Navy. That was his rock bottom and he unfortunately needed to hit it and be humbled... and I don't think Zeke has hit his yet.

Could be true... but you never know... lets hope he already has... 

• Like (+1) 2

16 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

They gave me OxyContin when I got my wisdom teeth removed 

I never touched 1 thinking about how easy it could be to become hooked

A freind of mine has a very bad back. He went to the doctor because he needed help. The doctor told him nobody ever, under any circumstances, should be prescribed OxyContin. It’s just too addictive and there are other ways to deal with pain. My dentists lovely wife in Florida was in a car wreck, got prescribed Oxy, and now her children have no mother. This stuff does not discriminate. 

• Like (+1) 1

Many if not all nhl teams now have former players who were addicts on the payroll to give guys someone to talk to and watch out for things. Listen to spittin chiclets pod and they have had a bunch of well known guys on there who all are sober.  I wonder if the nfl has any guys like that?

6 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

Many if not all nhl teams now have former players who were addicts on the payroll to give guys someone to talk to and watch out for things. Listen to spittin chiclets pod and they have had a bunch of well known guys on there who all are sober.  I wonder if the nfl has any guys like that?

You would think so... didnt Mercury Morris and Dexter Manley start something or were invloved?