Mark Pike’s son is trying out with Bills - heck of a story

I wouldn't even give him a look... it seems as if he hasn't hit rock bottom yet as the 2018 arrest proves. Sometimes addicts are given too many chances and prolongs their problem. He obviously still thinks his athletic ability may get him yet another chance, but if he was signed, unfortunately his salary might fuel another binge. He needs to find regular employment and continue his road to recovery. Unfortunately, I was one of those who gave my guy multiple chances to sober up because he was an excellent technician. Unfortunately, he still had not hit rock bottom until he was kicked out of the Navy. That was his rock bottom and he unfortunately needed to hit it and be humbled... and I don't think Zeke has hit his yet.

Edited by EasternOHBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That's a great article with a heartwarming story from 2016.

But then there's this, from April 2018:

https://bustednewspaper.com/ky-kenton-ezekiel-price-pike-2018-04-07-004000/

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/high-school/kentucky-high-school/2018/04/10/former-dixie-heights-star-zeke-pike-arrested-faces-ovi-drug-charges/502816002/

His "new beginning" and sobriety would appear to be somewhat tenuous.

I have been there and couldn't imagine being even a minor public figure where everybody knew of how much i F'd up. I'm now 3 years sober from xanax and opiates. I still drink but only socially and attend aa, na meetings regularly . It's  a lifetime disease, and all he can do is a 1 day at a time. I'm rooting for Pike big time. I know all too well the destruction , depression , isolation and negative results this disease brings. Sending good vibes his way

12 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

I wouldn't even give him a look... it seems as if he hasn't hit rock bottom yet as the 2018 arrest proves. Sometimes addicts are given too many chances and prolongs their problem. He obviously still thinks his athletic ability may get him yet another chance, but if he was signed, unfortunately his salary might fuel another binge. He needs to find regular employment and continue his road to recovery. Unfortunately, I was one of those who gave my guy multiple chances to sober up because he was an excellent technician. Unfortunately, he still had not hit rock bottom until he was kicked out of the Navy. That was his rock bottom and he unfortunately needed to hit it and be humbled... and I don't think Zeke has hit his yet.

Unfortunately , you may be right. It's funny because rock bottom came to me when i was "doing good" . I was working, drug free and looked like I was cured . But i was still dabbling and realized it wasn't just the drugs, it was the whole lifestyle i was addicted too. The fast life, but I hit an emotional rock bottom and that's when i finally found the change i was looking for. If he can truly find that piece of mind, the strength it takes to be good at  football will be nothing compared to fighting addiction. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

10 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I will admit to being very let down after reading the 2016 SI article and then googling and finding that 2018 arrest. 

I'd actually made a comment in response to reading the 2016 piece.  About 1 minute later, I saw the links to the 2018 troubles ... then quickly deleted my comment.

28 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

I have been there and couldn't imagine being even a minor public figure where everybody knew of how much i F'd up. I'm now 3 years sober from xanax and opiates. I still drink but only socially and attend aa, na meetings regularly . It's  a lifetime disease, and all he can do is a 1 day at a time. I'm rooting for Pike big time. I know all too well the destruction , depression , isolation and negative results this disease brings. Sending good vibes his way

Unfortunately , you may be right. It's funny because rock bottom came to me when i was "doing good" . I was working, drug free and looked like I was cured . But i was still dabbling and realized it wasn't just the drugs, it was the whole lifestyle i was addicted too. The fast life, but I hit an emotional rock bottom and that's when i finally found the change i was looking for. If he can truly find that piece of mind, the strength it takes to be good at  football will be nothing compared to fighting addiction. 

Congrats on changing your lifestyle and best of wishes in your continuing sobriety!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, #34fan said:

Man!  Guy makes Chad Kelly seem like an Eagle-Scout.... Why are the Bills doing this again?... Seems like a high-risk, low reward proposition...  Might as well bring back Karlos Williams for that price!

I was wondering why they'd take on this kid and not Kelly, then I got to the part of the 2016 article that referenced the ministry he'd started and it made sense.  Not to me mind you, but to the people who make such decisions at OBD.  

McDermott is on the Andy Reid tree and Reid spouts this BS (IMO) also culture, culture, faith, blah, blah, blah.  Then you look at the turds Reid has enabled over the years and the hot mess his own kids are/were and I start to look at it skeptically.  Frankly, I'm skeptical of most people who clothe themselves in religion as a methodology to cleanse themselves.  This Pike kid started a ministry? Dude, get your own house in order.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

I was wondering why they'd take on this kid and not Kelly, then I got to the part of the 2016 article that referenced the ministry he'd started and it made sense.  Not to me mind you, but to the people who make such decisions at OBD.  

McDermott is on the Andy Reid tree and Reid spouts this BS (IMO) also culture, culture, faith, blah, blah, blah.  Then you look at the turds Reid has enabled over the years and the hot mess his own kids are/were and I start to look at it skeptically.  Frankly, I'm skeptical of most people who clothe themselves in religion as a methodology to cleanse themselves.  This Pike kid started a ministry? Dude, get your own house in order.

I get what you're saying and agree that little Pike needs to get his own house in order. 

But when McD worked for Reid, he didn't become Reid.  

7 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Congrats on changing your lifestyle and best of wishes in your continuing sobriety!

Appreciate it! It even made me pursue a career in helping those fight this deadly disease. Right now it's truly an epidemic where i'm at,North Jersey , it's unreal how young and how hard these kids are going. I guess we gotta keep fighting but the Gov't also has to step in and make some big changes because it's not normal for 20 somethings to be dropping like flies.

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

When I read the article I was thinking the same thing, finally someone for people to latch on to the stupid Christian angle again. I mean it's been a while since they cut Peterman and I need my fix, hope he makes it to training camp so we can see this all damn summer.

Edited by Warcodered

5 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I get what you're saying and agree that little Pike needs to get his own house in order. 

But when McD worked for Reid, he didn't become Reid.  

Good point, I recently saw a Brian Dawkins little documentary and McD was coaching the secondary, I'm certain he gained an enormous amount of knowledge and perspective on the game from Reid but ya he's a completely different coach , different energy, different approach to the game. McD is a natural, I've said this so many times, we struck gold with him and Beane as well

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JerseyBills said:

Appreciate it! It even made me pursue a career in helping those fight this deadly disease. Right now it's truly an epidemic where i'm at,North Jersey , it's unreal how young and how hard these kids are going. I guess we gotta keep fighting but the Gov't also has to step in and make some big changes because it's not normal for 20 somethings to be dropping like flies.

It's pretty bad down here in DC too.  It really is an epidemic.  Stay the course JerseyBills!!

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Same in Ohio :cry:

I think it’s probably a situation where this kid has one more chance to play football, and the Bills are doing him a favor because Pike is his dad. The Pegulas and the FO/staff don’t have any ties to Pike but marlon kerner is over alumni relations and Zeke Pike spoke at Kelly’s camp, so there is still some connection. Try out players rarely get signed but they needed a bunch of guys for this weekend so why not. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

I think it’s probably a situation where this kid has one more chance to play football, and the Bills are doing him a favor because Pike is his dad. The Pegulas and the FO/staff don’t have any ties to Pike but marlon kerner is over alumni relations and Zeke Pike spoke at Kelly’s camp, so there is still some connection. 

Ahh. Terrific connection. Kerner and Pike played together from 95 to 98. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think it’s probably a situation where this kid has one more chance to play football, and the Bills are doing him a favor because Pike is his dad. The Pegulas and the FO/staff don’t have any ties to Pike but marlon kerner is over alumni relations and Zeke Pike spoke at Kelly’s camp, so there is still some connection. Try out players rarely get signed but they needed a bunch of guys for this weekend so why not. 

...major, MAJOR hurdles to overcome recidivism.....hope he can.....Kelly's nephew faces the same challenges but continues to stumble..only the strong survive...good luck lad....

39 minutes ago, HansLanda said:

Pills are a thing no matter where you live. It's crazy/scary. 

Yes.

This may sound unrelated, bear with me.  A couple months back I was reading a book, "Secrets from the Food Lab" by Traci Mann.  Psychology professor at UMinn.  It's about her studies on the psychology of how people relate to food and how group dynamics influence this, but she does get into some practical suggestions for improving one's eating habits.

One of her points about why diets don't work and willpower isn't enough, was the difference between eating and most other activities: if you ignore distractions and focus on work 90% of the time before giving in and cutting loose, you'll be pretty successful because you'll get a lot done in that 90%, and those accomplishments will remain while you're off partying or what-have you.  But if you ignore a plate of donuts 90% of the time, and give in and eat 10% of the time, the donuts you gobble can completely undo or reverse the effects of that 90% restraint.

The relevance to the difficulty of struggles with addiction seems clear.  90% or 95% or even 99% clean isn't enough, and 100% is damned hard.

15 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think you've found the connection.  Pike and Kerner were teammates for several years in the 90's.

And it may go further than the weekend in that, if they can help the kid cut some film and give him a hands-on, eyes-on evaluation from a coach, perhaps he can get a further chance elsewhere, in the CFL or something.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yes.

This may sound unrelated, bear with me.  A couple months back I was reading a book, "Secrets from the Food Lab" by Traci Mann.  Psychology professor at UMinn.  It's about her studies on the psychology of how people relate to food and how group dynamics influence this, but she does get into some practical suggestions for improving one's eating habits.

One of her points about why diets don't work and willpower isn't enough, was the difference between eating and most other activities: if you ignore distractions and focus on work 90% of the time before giving in and cutting loose, you'll be pretty successful because you'll get a lot done in that 90%, and those accomplishments will remain while you're off partying or what-have you.  But if you ignore a plate of donuts 90% of the time, and give in and eat 10% of the time, the donuts you gobble can completely undo or reverse the effects of that 90% restraint.

The relevance to the difficulty of struggles with addiction seems clear.

...GREAT point Hap....isn't the societal push that pills for whatever reason, be it diet, depression, et al are the "magical end all cure all"?....establishing a stoic mindset towards the goal comes first and foremost with meds being the ancillary helper.....not the other way around IMO...