Mark Pike’s son is trying out with Bills - heck of a story

This is buried in another thread, thought it was compelling. I had seen this story awhile ago about his son (and posted it here at the time) but somehow missed that he’s among the rookie invitees to minicamp this weekend

Rooting for the kid 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

21 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

This is buried in another thread, thought it was compelling. I had seen this story awhile ago about his son (and posted it here at the time) but somehow missed that he’s among the rookie invitees to minicamp this weekend

Rooting for the kid 

That's a great article with a heartwarming story from 2016.

But then there's this, from April 2018:

https://bustednewspaper.com/ky-kenton-ezekiel-price-pike-2018-04-07-004000/

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/high-school/kentucky-high-school/2018/04/10/former-dixie-heights-star-zeke-pike-arrested-faces-ovi-drug-charges/502816002/

His "new beginning" and sobriety would appear to be somewhat tenuous.

• Sad 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/high-school/kentucky-high-school/2018/04/10/former-dixie-heights-star-zeke-pike-arrested-faces-ovi-drug-charges/502816002/

Seems like one hell of a long shot I mean he didn't really play much at QB or TE in college with all his trouble so it's hard to know how good he might of been. Plus the longest him being out of trouble right now being what a year puts him on awfully shaky ground trust wise. I didn't think it was him since the camp roster lists his college as Cincinnati.

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Ouch! There is no such thing as “out of the woods”, but that’s shockingly recent. 

But I wish him and his family all the best. Football isn’t everything. 

• Like (+1) 5

One day at a time, he just has to remember non carbarudum illigitimus…. "don't let the bastages get you down" and nothing is so important that another drug will make a whole lot worse.  My brother died in his 30s due to his addiction... my prayers are with him.

• Like (+1) 4

8 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Seems like one hell of a long shot I mean he didn't really play much at QB or TE in college with all his trouble so it's hard to know how good he might of been. Plus the longest him being out of trouble right now being what a year puts him on awfully shaky ground trust wise. I didn't think it was him since the camp roster lists his college as Cincinnati.

Yeah, I wondered if he had been given a shot at University of Cincinnati or some other school known as Cincinnati.

But I couldn't find a draft profile on him.

Folks in the Shoutbox were opining it was the Bills doing a friendly to his Dad

2 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

Wish him no malice, but, it appears Zeke will need serious supervision/babysitting for some time.

He needs some good people around him true and to be kept busy... but he needs to do the work and take the bull by the horns when he feels an itch and ask for help.  Unfortunately, no amount of babysitting can prevent him from choosing the wrong path... I and my parents know... we tried and it doesn't work.  I just hope for his sake that he hangs in there when he feels it and takes action to reach out to the right people to keep himself out of trouble.  He needs to find those people in Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 1

I rephrased what I initially posted as it sounded a bit demeaning referencing babysitting. 

You put it quite well with his situation for himself, those close to him and who he chooses to be around.

32 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

He needs some good people around him true and to be kept busy... but he needs to do the work and take the bull by the horns when he feels an itch and ask for help.  Unfortunately, no amount of babysitting can prevent him from choosing the wrong path... I and my parents know... we tried and it doesn't work.  I just hope for his sake that he hangs in there when he feels it and takes action to reach out to the right people to keep himself out of trouble.  He needs to find those people in Buffalo.

Let's see if he actually earns a shot with the team in B'lo first.

I will admit to being very let down after reading the 2016 SI article and then googling and finding that 2018 arrest. 

I hope this "cup of coffee" is a step to him making peace with his athletic talent, and not something that will torment him with thoughts of what "might have been".

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Rooting for the kid 

He gave one of the best speeches I have ever heard in my life at the Jim Kelly camp two years ago. I really hope this kid succeeds. 

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Sucks that he had some setbacks. Talking to him a couple years ago he seemed like he changed his life around. Wish him the best in life even if it’s not in football

• Thank you (+1) 1

Man!  Guy makes Chad Kelly seem like an Eagle-Scout.... Why are the Bills doing this again?... Seems like a high-risk, low reward proposition...  Might as well bring back Karlos Williams for that price!

7 hours ago, #34fan said:

Man!  Guy makes Chad Kelly seem like an Eagle-Scout.... Why are the Bills doing this again?... Seems like a high-risk, low reward proposition...  Might as well bring back Karlos Williams for that price!

There really is no risk at this point. He’s not signed. Just a try-out.

• Like (+1) 1

Even without the checkered past, he's an extreme long shot to make even the training camp roster.  I'm rooting for him to keep his life on track, but the odds are it won't happen in the NFL long term.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, #34fan said:

It's a low-risk, low-reward proposition - just a goodwill gesture for his dad.  

Pike's girlfriend in the story - Dani Cogswell - went to the same high school as my daughter.  Dani was a great young lady by all accounts.  I believe she was the 3rd ranked gymnast in the country when she was 9 or 10.   Switched to cheerleading later on and led the HS team to the national finals.  Effervescent, talented girl - killed by drugs.  Very sad story.  

Edited by hondo in seattle