We're building the offense around the passing attack

VW82

16 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Considering the run blocker we drafted and the no WRs we drafted i would say we are building around the run game.

Statistically Ford was a better pass protector than run blocker, though let’s hope he’s just a stud period. I think he was 4th overall for draft prospects in lowest number of pressures given up per snap last year.

Like I mentioned earlier in the thread, we paid wrs in FA, with the Beasley signing being the most notable as he typically plays in the slot. That tells me we probably plan on rolling with more three wr sets, and less full back. Whether we run or pass, we’ll be doing it more from passing formations.

The Gore signing is another clue. For an old guy,  he’s still pretty adept at picking up the blitz and catching out of the backfield even if he isn’t a 20 touch guy anymore. 

Edited by VW82

13 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Well it's not really arguable.

They tore down a formidable offense who was 10th(technically 7th before Tyrod was benched for Manual in week 17)in scorinng in 2016 and  were responsible for a substantial drop to 22nd in 2017 and 30th in 2018 when McDermott took over. 

...which is where we differ and I'm fine with that....we're good IMO......

On 5/11/2019 at 2:31 PM, K-9 said:

Per the bold text, what do you imagine McD’s role is in creating the offensive game plan? How do you envision his discussions with Daboll unfold on a week to week basis? 

I take it you're one of those who thinks McD is telling Daboll to do whatever the heck he wants to do regardless of their defensive plan.  Correct?

McD is aligning what they're doing on offense with defense.  He's not telling the OC go with a pass first attack that risks more 3 and outs which places the defense on the field more.  

How hard is it to understand both sides of the ball are related to HCs like McD?  And, is it that difficult to understand McD isn't all of a sudden gonna be a pass first guy?  

7 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

I take it you're one of those who thinks McD is telling Daboll to do whatever the heck he wants to do regardless of their defensive plan.  Correct?

McD is aligning what they're doing on offense with defense.  He's not telling the OC go with a pass first attack that risks more 3 and outs which places the defense on the field more.  

How hard is it to understand both sides of the ball are related to HCs like McD?  And, is it that difficult to understand McD isn't all of a sudden gonna be a pass first guy?  

Pretty obnoxious response to an honest question. Maybe you need to put a little cream in your coffee?

6 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

You think that's obnoxious?  I tone it down on Mother's Day.  

I think if you default to such belittling comments at what appeared to be an honest question from someone who was asking your opinion, you'll likely get fewer people interested in your opinions.

18 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

I meant to say basically all their offensive moves last offseason have been flops.

For the most part, all of their offensive decisions have been. And as I said, Allen looks like the best decision they made although still early. 

Dawkins had a strong rookie year and struggled big time last year. Mills was better than him and he has been the TBD whipping boy on the OLine for several years now and is a borderline starter in this league.  Too early to say if Dawkins is a "good" tackle. 

They got lucky with Foster but give them credit for sticking with him and hopefully he doesn't flame out. 

Give em credit for admitting the bad right away, but my point was the bad far outweighs the good to this point with their offensive decisions. 

Don't you get tired repeating the same old nonsense again and again?

You say that "basically all their offensive moves last offseason have been flops," and that's clearly and absolutely wrong. The problem wasn't that they made a lot of bad decisions on offense. The problem was that they put very few resources into the offense due to the horrible cap situation they have now fought their way through. They brought in a bunch of guys at very low cost and many to most of those guys played pretty well for how little they were paid.

As you point out, Foster was a great move. Leaving Allen out of it, there were a bunch more good ones. They signed Derek Anderson, he worked out well and cheap. They should have brought him in sooner, as they have already admitted, but it was a good move, as was Barkley for almost nothing. They drafted Dawkins, and he looks very good so far. Teller looked excellent for a 5th rounder, though he may not even make the team with how much they have

Bodine was cheap and without him Groy would have made the O-line look considerably worse than they finally did. Isaiah McKenzie was a terrific pickup for $555 K for the year. He traded for Jordan Matthews who unluckily got injured but has been on rosters since and performed decently. Philly took him right back when they had the chance. He's been signed by SF for next year for a bit more than the Bills paid for him for his injured year.

Croom did very well for a guy we’re paying $480K for. Ivory did a solid job for his $1M salary. Marcus Murphy was a real bargain for a guy making $630K. Sirles looked good for a $650K guy. Other than Allen, who they bent their drafts around, they went heavily defense those first two years.

Are there no huge successes there? Yeah, that's correct, but it's largely because they simply didn't put almost any resources towards the offense.

Did they make some bad decisions? Yeah, absolutely. More solid and good ones worth the very small amounts of money they were paid, though.

Now that they've got money they're obviously handling things in a totally different way this year.

Edited by Thurman#1

17 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Well it's not really arguable.

They tore down a formidable offense who was 10th(technically 7th before Tyrod was benched for Manual in week 17)in scorinng in 2016 and  were responsible for a substantial drop to 22nd in 2017 and 30th in 2018 when McDermott took over.

It's very arguable.

That 2016 offense was in no way "formidable." They just weren't. Not that bad? Yeah, fair enough.

They were 16th in the league in yards. And yards are how you measure an offense, separating their performance from the rest of the team. That offense was average, at best. Did they get worse the next two years? Yup, that's what happens when you rebuild ... worse yet when you rebuild with a horrible cap situation. They traded Sammy Watkins to save cap and get build up draft capital to bring in a QB. They traded Cordy Glenn for the same reasons. They cut Tyrod to save cap, and there was a bunch more.

Scoring is much more how you measure the team as a whole, as scoring depends a whole ton on field position where you receive the ball. In scoring offense, if you get the ball on the one after a long kickoff return and just barely manage to squeeze it in on fourth down ... even if you lost 28 yards and kick a field goal ... the offense looks good. Hell, in 2016, the Bills defense had a pick-six and two TD fumble runbacks. Only a slowcoach would think that means the offense was good, but if you look at scoring that's exactly how it presents itself. Three extra TDs ... way to go offense for the cheering on the pick six and the runbacks. Totally made the difference.

The other units were a lot of the reason they scored a bunch in 2016. The offense got the 11th best field position overall in terms of their drive starts. Made so few yards that they consistently put the defense in bad field position to start drives, 23rd in the league to be specific. Few turnovers per drive. That, the offense did well, but they weren't all that productive. Pretty much average.

Edited by Thurman#1

8 hours ago, BillsVet said:

No, I’m not one of those that thinks McD is giving total autonomy to Daboll. Not at all. Was just interested in getting your perspective on how a weekly game plan is assembled, by whom, and how you think those discussions unfold. 

While I could offer my own insights, I’ll just say that the level of HC involvement on either side of the ball varies greatly from team to team and coach to coach. I honestly don’t know where McD lands on the spectrum. When it comes to assembling game plans, the process usually involves input from a myriad of people in the building. 

This is the deal... Dawkins and Ford are maulers... Morse is not a Maulers but can basically do what Wood did. Nsekhe can provide enough and same with Waddle. Long is a backup. Feliciano is a mauler and has very heavy feet so he'll get exposed I pass pro. Spain can get to a spot and shield... hes big but he doesn't have great core strength and he's not going to maul guys. Teller I think has some mauler I him and has the most upside on the interior. 

That's the deal.

Nsekhe-Dawkins-Morse-Ford-Waddle 

For president.

Mike drop.

Edited by akcash