We're building the offense around the passing attack

VW82

FWIW I think this is probably smart. We gave up a king's ransom to draft Allen, and even though there have been some giant red flags to date he clearly has talent.

There has been lots of talk about the new receiver group and how that will help, particularly Beasley who should allow for more three WR formations, but the new Oline is also really well built to pass protect. Morse and Ford, in particular, are well above average pass protectors, though perhaps not as great in the running game. Singletary adds a jolt of excitement to our RB group but the main guys are well past their prime and the overall talent level at this stage isn't something we can probably lean on. Gore can pick up a blitz though.

There's going to be a lot of pressure on the passing game to take a big step forward this year. McBeane appear to have designed it that way. Buffalo usually builds with their run game in mind as you need to be able to get tough yards in Dec/Jan when the weather turns.

Was it smart to build our offense this way or should we have gone after road graders and a world class RB to pair with Allen, and take pressure off him using play action? Overall I like what we've done and I think the change in team building strategy is interesting.  

Edited the title so it doesn't sound so negative.

Edited by VW82
  • Like (+1) 1

I dont like the idea of putting eggs in the passing attack basket.....seems too fragile to me.

5 minutes ago, VW82 said:

FWIW I think this is probably smart. We gave up a king's ransom to draft Allen, and even though there have been some giant red flags to date he clearly has talent.

There has been lots of talk about the new receiver group and how that will help, but the new Oline is really well built to pass protect (and not so much to run block). Morse and Ford, in particular, are well above average pass protectors, though perhaps not as great in the running game. Singletary adds a jolt of excitement to our RB group but the main guys are well past their prime and the overall talent level at this stage isn't something we can probably lean on.

There's going to be a lot of pressure on the passing game to take a big step forward this year. McBeane appear to have designed it that way. Buffalo usually builds with their run game in mind as you need to be able to get tough yards in Dec/Jan when the weather turns.

Was it smart to build our offense this way or should we have gone after road graders and a world class RB to pair with Allen, and take pressure off him using play action? Overall I like what we've done and I think the change in team building strategy is interesting.  

Also, not a real fan of the 82 VW either

• Haha (+1) 2

I agree with TroutDog.  I know that some of the scouting reports on the new linemen suggest strength at pass blocking, I think there is reason to believe they will be better at run blocking than the line was last season.  I' know I'm a homer, but I think they will be a lot better at run blocking this season.  Of course, the bar was set pretty low last season.

• Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, VW82 said:

There has been lots of talk about the new receiver group and how that will help, but the new Oline is really well built to pass protect (and not so much to run block). Morse and Ford, in particular, are well above average pass protectors, though perhaps not as great in the running game. Singletary adds a jolt of excitement to our RB group but the main guys are well past their prime and the overall talent level at this stage isn't something we can probably lean on.

I feel like it's a stretch to say that we haven't upgraded our O-line in terms of pass and run protection.

3 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

To be honest, I’m not sure where you’re getting the fact that the O-line additions can’t run block. I have read, from myriad sources, the polar opposite. 

I'm not saying they can't run block but when you read through the scouting reports of our Oline guys we appear to have more pass protection talent than run blocking talent. It doesn't look like we have a Richie/EWood type run blocker on this team unless someone surprises. I'm hopeful for Singletary but he's unproven. Shady and Gore will get every opportunity to prove whether they still have it. Either way, the off season focus seems to have been tilted toward making us a passing team. Just my opinion.

3 minutes ago, VW82 said:

I'm not saying they can't run block but when you read through the scouting reports of our Oline guys we appear to have more pass protection talent than run blocking talent. It doesn't look like we have a Richie/EWood type run blocker on this team unless someone surprises. I'm hopeful for Singletary but he's unproven. Shady and Gore will get every opportunity to prove whether they still have it. Either way, the off season focus seems to have been tilted toward making us a passing team. Just my opinion.

How many run first teams are successful in the NFL? This is a passing league.

Castillo's scheme was a disaster as was the overall talent. They didn't acquire true road graders, but combined with a shift from zone to man, I expect the run game to be quite a bit better. 

The key to the offense will be Allen's improvement or lack thereof. If he progresses, it will take care of itself.

• Like (+1) 5

Ford is praised for his run blocking. His best skill. 

Spain is a mailer in the run game. 

Feliciano is better run blocker than passer. Not sure he’s an amazing talent. But better at the run than pass. 

Long is a good run blocker

Neske I’m not sure. But based on his size I wouldn’t be shocked if he was a stud there too. 

Really Morse is the weak link at run blocking. I’m not concerned about the rest of the offensive line talent. I honestly think we lead the league in rushing, end up with a top 3 defense (not just in yards but in points), and end up somewhere in the middle with the passing game. Lots of people here feel confident that we can push 10-6. Personally with our O-line and control of the run game/clock I think we squeak out 11-5 this season. A big jump. The question is going to be to is that enough to take the Patriots this season. Do they slip?  Or can we split with them and luck out on a tie breaker?  I wouldn’t bet on them slipping but if we pull off an upset and another team then it will get interesting. 

4 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Gotta break a few eggs to make the playoffs.

Which means scrambled eggs...with some sort of pork parts.

When was the last time you tried to talk the entire band into eating egg salad sandwiches only on the bus roadie..5 hour trip from Jamestown to Syracuse?

Best bring some chips and soda pops...

Ok, ok...but seriously, nobody wants to talk about the apparent change in philosophy to becoming a passing team? The evidence is all over the roster. We were still a run first team last year even though we didn't really have the personnel. I'll be shocked if we're a run first team this year. 

Edited by VW82

52 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

I agree with TroutDog.  I know that some of the scouting reports on the new linemen suggest strength at pass blocking, I think there is reason to believe they will be better at run blocking than the line was last season.  I' know I'm a homer, but I think they will be a lot better at run blocking this season.  Of course, the bar was set pretty low last season.

Remember they upgraded the coaching staff as well who set bar low.

3 minutes ago, VW82 said:

Ok, ok...but seriously, nobody wants to talk about the apparent change in philosophy to becoming a passing team? The evidence is all over the roster. We were still a run first team last year even though we didn't really have the personnel. I'll be shocked if we're be a run first team this year. 

They passed on wr in the draft, took two TEs who can block, took Ford early in the second round, took a rb with the third pick, most of the free agent o-line, contrary to your view apparently, are pretty good at run blocking. They are bringing in Lee Smith for a looksee. Don't really see the evidence for this change of philosophy, though you'd hope Allen develops to the point where passing is a big part of the offense, wouldn't one?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, VW82 said:

There has been lots of talk about the new receiver group and how that will help, but the new Oline is really well built to pass protect (and not as much to run block). Morse and Ford, in particular, are well above average pass protectors, though perhaps not as great in the running game. Singletary adds a jolt of excitement to our RB group but the main guys are well past their prime and the overall talent level at this stage isn't something we can probably lean on.

Edited the title so it doesn't sound so negative.

What?

• Like (+1) 3