Interesting; Ed Reeds comments about Wrecks & Aj Williams and Jerry Hughes comments

19 hours ago, NoSaint said:

It can be a tough spot as a middle manager for a bad leader. Especially if he brought you in to be a culture bearer for his system and you don’t actually believe in it. 

On your note- it wasn’t outside the box to hire him. But how many assistant position coaches come out dogging leadership for not knowing the game and not listening to them because they are the GOAT? It loops into the long running debate of whether a guy like Peyton Manning would be a good coach. Knowing the game is different than knowing how to teach, being a second or third tier contributor to a meeting room instead of a guy that’s followed blindly, etc....

To be fair, I think Reed's intent wasn't widespread dogging leadership.  There were specific communication issues that he felt he had insight about how to solve, having been in the position of being that guy on the field trying to get the communication and figure out his assignment on each play.  So Reed thought he had ideas about how to improve, and didn't like seeing the ideas persist AND his ideas be discounted.  Media likes to create a narrative then we all run with it.

Of course, I totally agree with you that too often, folks are all over wanting a great player to coach (Kelly should coach!  Manning should coach!) when truth is, a great player is often the worst coach because they may do things and see things instinctively and have may have no idea what they're actually seeing and doing, much less how to break it down and teach it.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

I was Rex's biggest critic, but Ed Reed was a huge favor.  He should STFU and enjoy his retirement.  No one took him seriously as a coach.  Why would they be impressed with his thoughts now?

See you in Canton Ed.  Hope you saved all that green.

All the players seem to agree with him. Doesn't make him a great coach, but it shows that there was a disconnect and turbulence between the players and coaches. Ed Reed recognized the problem, which probably anyone could do.

28 minutes ago, MJS said:

All the players seem to agree with him. Doesn't make him a great coach, but it shows that there was a disconnect and turbulence between the players and coaches. Ed Reed recognized the problem, which probably anyone could do.

So what?  He was brought in as a coach, not another player to whine about the system. 

You and I could recognize the problem, doesn't make either of us a great coach. 

In the end, Rex tossed Ed a bone.  Years later, Reed's spitting it back.

19 hours ago, Azucho98 said:

!

th.jpg

23 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...this just in....Whaley is hurt by being left out............

Now, if we can just photoshop that into a bicycle built for 4, add Whaley and Brandon on it, and put a shark in the plunge pool, I think we’ve got it...

EDIT:  Better put in a ‘Golden Corral’ sign in the background.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Now, if we can just photoshop that into a bicycle built for 4, add Whaley and Brandon on it, and put a shark in the plunge pool, I think we’ve got it...

EDIT:  Better put in a ‘Golden Corral’ sign in the background.

...pretty sure that's where they're headed.....PERFECT fit as "Line Coaches" willin' to work for food....on second thought, that could lead to Chapter 11.....

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

To be fair, I think Reed's intent wasn't widespread dogging leadership.  There were specific communication issues that he felt he had insight about how to solve, having been in the position of being that guy on the field trying to get the communication and figure out his assignment on each play.  So Reed thought he had ideas about how to improve, and didn't like seeing the ideas persist AND his ideas be discounted.  Media likes to create a narrative then we all run with it.

Of course, I totally agree with you that too often, folks are all over wanting a great player to coach (Kelly should coach!  Manning should coach!) when truth is, a great player is often the worst coach because they may do things and see things instinctively and have may have no idea what they're actually seeing and doing, much less how to break it down and teach it.

He also threw in comments about coaches egos being too big, and not hiring the best guys....

it wasnt a great look. And may have been an insight not just a media spin. It’s largely his own words being discussed 

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

So what?  He was brought in as a coach, not another player to whine about the system. 

You and I could recognize the problem, doesn't make either of us a great coach. 

In the end, Rex tossed Ed a bone.  Years later, Reed's spitting it back.

That's the exact point I made. The story isn't about whether or not Reed is a good coach. I don't think anyone cares about that. People are discussing the problems with Rex and his defense, which are well documented.

1 hour ago, MJS said:

That's the exact point I made. The story isn't about whether or not Reed is a good coach. I don't think anyone cares about that. People are discussing the problems with Rex and his defense, which are well documented.

Yeah....well documented for a couple of years now.  So why do A Williams and Reed need to lift up a dead horse to show us its teeth?

It’s just excuse making at this point.  They need to move on...

5 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Yeah....well documented for a couple of years now.  So why do A Williams and Reed need to lift up a dead horse to show us its teeth?

It’s just excuse making at this point.  They need to move on...

Reed was on a radio show and asked about his experience coaching in Buffalo and whether or not he planned to coach in the future. He answered the questions honestly. That's why he made his comments.

Now as for Aaron Williams and Jerry Hughes, not sure.

The Pegula's learned fast that Rex was a joke and they didn't even let him finish his second year.

That was the condemnation of what an awful failure Rex was.

I hated that hire at the time, but they did get out of it quickly.

During that Rex and Rob documentary going into Rex's 2nd year there was a scene from that year's training camp where Rex was going on about how much better the team would be in year 2 and Terry Pegula was just sitting there in his golf cart looking straight ahead with a look of "yeah sure " on his face

I knew Rex was a goner as soon as I saw that

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/10/2019 at 7:39 PM, Reed83HOF said:

http://billsmafia.com/2019/05/10/ed-reed-shines-light-why-rex-ryan-defense-failed-in-buffalo/

“Love the city of Buffalo. I’m going to come back and visit sometime. It was a great time. We didn’t have the staff to make Buffalo successful as I thought we could have. I thought we had a great team collectively, but it was a matter of the coaching staff being a cohesive group.”

“I’m learning a lot about coaching in the NFL. I played for 12 years in this league. I was known as a ‘GOAT’ and don’t get any respect from coaches that just coach a game. There’s a lot of stuff in the world that has rubbed off on the NFL in business and the way they run it – hiring people that are not even qualified.”

“That’s the mind-boggling to me. I know about coaches pride and all of that stuff, egos and everything – but I just can’t believe that you wouldn’t want players on your staff that played the game. They can help your players because when I was in Buffalo – and you know all the mistakes we were having – that was communication issues.”

“I played the game so I was there (presumably he means in Buffalo) to try to help simplify things but my suggestions were never taken – so it was very frustrating for me very early in my coaching career when your opinion is not taken seriously.”

Is any of what Ed has said really an epiphany ? From the Gov't on down to a guy in a factory that what he said is true those that go to school & learn from books think they know so much more than those with hands on experience i've seen it time & time again in my 57 yrs so this doesn't surprise me ! 

I was told by a man yrs ago that had been replaced at a steel job by a youngin that spent 8 yrs in college learning metallurgy then brought back due to his stellar work & attendance record he told me "never show all your cards in your hand because the minute you do your no longer needed" that was so true .

Those that learn from books are in a lot of situations so out of touch with how things really are & could learn so much more if they would put their individual ego's aside & open their minds to learn from those that have been there done that & got the T shirt in the closet but that's not the way it happens !! 

Hands on over book smarts every time !!