Interesting; Ed Reeds comments about Wrecks & Aj Williams and Jerry Hughes comments

He is completely right and I'm not really understanding all the hate on one of the greatest secondary players of all-time.  It is clear that Rex ruined a very talented defense.  First of all, a great leader coaches to their players ability and puts them in the best position possible to succeed.  Instead, he tried to force them to play his way when the roster was not built that way at all.  Remember Mario Williams dropping in coverage anyone?  Second, his schemes were complex and confusing to the secondary especially.  How many times were guys left completely wide open and them Gilmore turns around with his arms out basically saying WTF happened to my help?  If I can see it easily on TV, and if your highly respected, HOF coach is saying it to you, shouldn't you maybe listen and make some adjustments?  Rex ruined a good team.  But I'm glad it happened, otherwise we wouldn't be sitting where we are today and I think that's a very good place to be.

Edited by Mark80

13 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Ed Reed?? Come on.  Dude had a cup of coffee in Buffalo.  Dead in the water since.  Rex did him a HUGE solid by tossing him a coaching job he had no business getting.

A possible GOAT isn’t worthy of being an ASSISTANT DB coach?  Come on.  He wasn’t THE db coach.  He was an assistant.  The reports that he was the pied piper, all the DBs following him around like a puppy dog.  Dudes interviews were great.  I listened to an assistant db coaches interviews.  Never before or after.  He IS db knowledge.  

Knowing how to coach isn’t the same as knowing how to play, no doubt.....but to say he had no business being an assistant Db coach is a bit much imo

After he got fired from the Jets he lost his passion. You could tell the difference on the sidelines with us vs the Jets. He put his heart and soul into that team, I mean they went to the conference championship with Mark Sanchez of all people.

Buffalo he came to cash cheques.

32 minutes ago, NewEra said:

A possible GOAT isn’t worthy of being an ASSISTANT DB coach?  Come on.  He wasn’t THE db coach.  He was an assistant.  The reports that he was the pied piper, all the DBs following him around like a puppy dog.  Dudes interviews were great.  I listened to an assistant db coaches interviews.  Never before or after.  He IS db knowledge.  

Knowing how to coach isn’t the same as knowing how to play, no doubt.....but to say he had no business being an assistant Db coach is a bit much imo

Ultimately, I think it comes down to the question of was he able to humble himself enough to be the low man on the coaching totem pole instead of the top dog of the players. 

The interview certainly didnt didn’t prove he undermined the coaches, but it sure did make me wonder if he might’ve at times. It’s a tough spot, but for all his knowledge if he didn’t know how to effectively manage his new position he might not have been a good choice. You have to think Rex brought him in to be a fierce advocate of the coaches that players would respect. Are you confident he filled that position? After reading this, I’m not sure.

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Rex Ryan was the biggest and most obvious mistake in the last 20 years of Bills futility. I saw the ex who I was with at the time of the hiring for coffee the other day and it is something we joked about was my reaction when that news broke that the Bills were hiring Ryan. I literally lost my ***** for about 10 minutes and just ranted. She doesn't follow the NFL but she knows three things: 1. The Patriots are good. 2. Rex Ryan sucks. 3. Jimmy G is hot. 

We had the debate on whether or not to fire Rex after his first year. It was clear he was a failure. Lots of folks said “it’s not done in the NFL.” Welp, Arizona just did it, and their future is still pretty bright.

Never double down on a mistake. Especially in a league like the NFL where your window is short. Hopefully the Pegulas have learned.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Ultimately, I think it comes down to the question of was he able to humble himself enough to be the low man on the coaching totem pole instead of the top dog of the players. 

The interview certainly didnt didn’t prove he undermined the coaches, but it sure did make me wonder if he might’ve at times. It’s a tough spot, but for all his knowledge if he didn’t know how to effectively manage his new position he might not have been a good choice. You have to think Rex brought him in to be a fierce advocate of the coaches that players would respect. Are you confident he filled that position? After reading this, I’m not sure.

I’m confident that hiring Ed Reed as an assistant db coach wasn’t unwarranted.  The players loved Ed.  Maybe he was malcontent when his advice was taken by the other coaches but maybe it should’ve been?  Results show the coaching staff didn’t know their heads from theirs *****.  Maybe Ed was a bad fit, I just don’t think he’s u worthy of being given a shot as an assistant db coach considering his pedigree

Who is our assistant db coach now?  We don’t have one.

3 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Points 1 and 2 are what they are but I think point  3 is what made her your ex.  Have you considered how it made her feel knowing about your Jimmy G fantasies?  Keep that stuff to yourself dude.

Nah she was cool with my man crushes. 

16 hours ago, Josh "Real Deal" Allen said:

Rex being gone before 5 o'clock was a big problem!

He didn't have any choice. That bicycle built for two couldn't be handled by just his brother and his brother had to get to El Canelo for the early bird special.

• Haha (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Rex is gone.  Reed is gone.  Who cares now?

I hear ya—but it’s good to keep a reference baseline to never lose sight of where we don’t want to go back to—kind of along the lines of, whatever that group was doing, do the exact opposite? 

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

I’m confident that hiring Ed Reed as an assistant db coach wasn’t unwarranted.  The players loved Ed.  Maybe he was malcontent when his advice was taken by the other coaches but maybe it should’ve been?  Results show the coaching staff didn’t know their heads from theirs *****.  Maybe Ed was a bad fit, I just don’t think he’s u worthy of being given a shot as an assistant db coach considering his pedigree

Who is our assistant db coach now?  We don’t have one.

It can be a tough spot as a middle manager for a bad leader. Especially if he brought you in to be a culture bearer for his system and you don’t actually believe in it. 

On your note- it wasn’t outside the box to hire him. But how many assistant position coaches come out dogging leadership for not knowing the game and not listening to them because they are the GOAT? It loops into the long running debate of whether a guy like Peyton Manning would be a good coach. Knowing the game is different than knowing how to teach, being a second or third tier contributor to a meeting room instead of a guy that’s followed blindly, etc.... 

I was Rex's biggest critic, but Ed Reed was a huge favor.  He should STFU and enjoy his retirement.  No one took him seriously as a coach.  Why would they be impressed with his thoughts now?

See you in Canton Ed.  Hope you saved all that green.

4 hours ago, NoSaint said:

It can be a tough spot as a middle manager for a bad leader. Especially if he brought you in to be a culture bearer for his system and you don’t actually believe in it. 

First note———On your note- it wasn’t outside the box to hire him. But how many assistant position coaches come out dogging leadership for not knowing the game and not listening to them because they are the GOAT?

2nd topic——-It loops into the long running debate of whether a guy like Peyton Manning would be a good coach. Knowing the game is different than knowing how to teach, being a second or third tier contributor to a meeting room instead of a guy that’s followed blindly, etc.... 

First topic-  Rex was a Buffoon.  He saw first hand how terrible he was.  He.commented on it. Not sure I wouldn’t if I were him. It may be a factor in Reed not ever becoming a good

coach.....but to give a GOAT his first coaching opportunity as an assistant position coach isn’t unwarranted.  

2nd-  agreed, you never know how these guys are going to do, but why not roll the dice as an assistant position coach.  He’s not

in charge. He’s there to pass on knowledge that some of these coaches may not even be aware of.  If I’m a DB, I’d like to know what Ed Reed is keying on.  Maybe not as a Dc or even position coach, but having his brain in the room is something I’d roll the dice on.

On 5/10/2019 at 7:39 PM, Reed83HOF said:

http://billsmafia.com/2019/05/10/ed-reed-shines-light-why-rex-ryan-defense-failed-in-buffalo/

“Love the city of Buffalo. I’m going to come back and visit sometime. It was a great time. We didn’t have the staff to make Buffalo successful as I thought we could have. I thought we had a great team collectively, but it was a matter of the coaching staff being a cohesive group.”

“I’m learning a lot about coaching in the NFL. I played for 12 years in this league. I was known as a ‘GOAT’ and don’t get any respect from coaches that just coach a game. There’s a lot of stuff in the world that has rubbed off on the NFL in business and the way they run it – hiring people that are not even qualified.”

“That’s the mind-boggling to me. I know about coaches pride and all of that stuff, egos and everything – but I just can’t believe that you wouldn’t want players on your staff that played the game. They can help your players because when I was in Buffalo – and you know all the mistakes we were having – that was communication issues.”

“I played the game so I was there (presumably he means in Buffalo) to try to help simplify things but my suggestions were never taken – so it was very frustrating for me very early in my coaching career when your opinion is not taken seriously.”

This can be true BUT many times great players dont make great or even good coaches. Hopefully Ed does both.

On 5/10/2019 at 5:17 PM, SinceThe70s said:

Thanks, good points, wasn't challenging you. 

On top of that Reed played for Rex, Rex brought him to Buffalo and three years later he's calling out Rex's staff when he hasn't had a coaching job since. Not a good look.

Well, if it's been 3 years, and he hasn't gotten a job, maybe it was time for him to distance himself from Wrex Wyan? 

On 5/10/2019 at 8:12 PM, Misterbluesky said:

He needed to hit Chestnut Ridge Park to take pictures of his wife's feet during the sunset hours for the perfect look.The woman has pretty toes..no bunions..full rainbow of polishes...

Don't act like you don't enjoy looking at pictures like that...

Something tells me coach McD has no interest in his wife's feet?

?

11 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

This can be true BUT many times great players dont make great or even good coaches. Hopefully Ed does both.

I dont think many great players try.  They have already lived their legacy and may even be footballed out.  But, not all people have the communication skills to coach.