Interesting; Ed Reeds comments about Wrecks & Aj Williams and Jerry Hughes comments

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Why not?   They might be better now.    I don't have a lot of love for Schwartz as a HC but it's not like the current team is built around top 5 picks now.

Or if they had hired Anthony Lynn instead of McDermott they might have Patrick Mahomes playing in a Chargers-like offense.   The job Lynn has done taking over a previously struggling and suddenly uprooted Chargers franchise has been impressive to the point of incredible(including stomping the dogsh*t out of McDermott twice).

The Bills are where they are and we gotta' hope for the best.......but it's not like a series of "happy accidents" has them on the brink of dominance.   The struggle is still pretty real.

Once considered the screen name Dreamcrusher but went with BADOLBILZ....

9 hours ago, NoSaint said:

On a surface level we see an assistant position coach in his first year coaching not respecting the guys that brought him in and a pair of highly emotional players siding with him and one of them noting their many meetings on the side.

In 2016 being a mess of disorganization and distrust- do you think a young HOF player turned coach may have at times undermined those above him thinking he deserved to be more of a chief and less of an Indian? 

Im in no way absolving Rex or Rob but maybe the revelation here is a new layer of dysfunction not just confirmation of what we knew previously.

I agree - it adds to the picture a whole new layer of dysfunction.

To be totally fair though - Ed Reed was brought in to fix the communication and really give the defense a sense of what he saw as a player and how to translate that into proper defense in this scheme.  If he was trying to do that, but the other coaches are not on the same page or are doing different things - then all he is doing is sowing more confusion.

I remember being excited when I heard we brought him in because I thought Rex was a total joke and thought maybe this could bring some credibility and stability to the team.  Then they had Ed running a bunch of drills with tennis balls and players talking about him m telling stories about his plays and I thought this does not seem like it is doing anything other than adding to the problem.

Now you read this and it seems worse - the players got nothing from Rex and some coaches were literally part of player meetings that may have added to the dysfunction.  Just Great!

Rex Ryan was the biggest and most obvious mistake in the last 20 years of Bills futility. I saw the ex who I was with at the time of the hiring for coffee the other day and it is something we joked about was my reaction when that news broke that the Bills were hiring Ryan. I literally lost my ***** for about 10 minutes and just ranted. She doesn't follow the NFL but she knows three things: 1. The Patriots are good. 2. Rex Ryan sucks. 3. Jimmy G is hot. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

I'm kinda torn on this. It's clear that Reed has support on his stance that he got a raw deal in Buffalo. On the other hand, publicly throwing people under the bus(even Ryan) is probably not a great look. Reed's motive is obviously another gig. Not sure this helps his cause.

If he is telling the truth ... keep throwing...

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Again - if you want to “blame” anyone - this is the continued cost of the Pegulas insisting on learning on the job, without help.  

Not unfair. The Ryan here really bothered me but I tried to get on board with him being a defensive genius and us having a wealth of available pieces.  Seems he was far short of the commitment that’s required to maintain being a creative/innovative guy in that job/this league. 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Rex Ryan was the biggest and most obvious mistake in the last 20 years of Bills futility. I saw the ex who I was with at the time of the hiring for coffee the other day and it is something we joked about was my reaction when that news broke that the Bills were hiring Ryan. I literally lost my ***** for about 10 minutes and just ranted. She doesn't follow the NFL but she knows three things: 1. The Patriots are good. 2. Rex Ryan sucks. 3. Jimmy G is hot. 

Theres long been an element in the back of my head that part of the enthusiasm for our current regime is the polar opposite nature and how we all tend to overvalue what the last guy was bad at. 

When your qb is Trent Edwards you are a little quicker to get amped up for a gunslinging Fitz, and excuse obvious issues. Short receivers? Go get James hardy, ignoring all red flags. We’ve seen a lot of “go get what the last guy did bad” confused with “go get someone good”

When you have a lazy coach that is at odds with their GM do we get too easily on board for streamlined branding of a “process” and ignore the struggles assembling an offense, the slow nature of the build and what were largely self inflicted cap issues last year? 

By “we” I include myself and importantly the fan signing the paychecks in Pegula. It’ll be an interesting dynamic to keep an eye on. Especially if Allen looks good but we remain uneven with the offensive talent. Hopefully they’ve nailed it and are both unlike Rex AND good.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Theres long been an element in the back of my head that part of the enthusiasm for our current regime is the polar opposite nature and how we all tend to overvalue what the last guy was bad at. 

When your qb is Trent Edwards you are a little quicker to get amped up for a gunslinging Fitz, and excuse obvious issues. Short receivers? Go get James hardy, ignoring all red flags. We’ve seen a lot of “go get what the last guy did bad” confused with “go get someone good”

When you have a lazy coach that is at odds with their GM do we get too easily on board for streamlined branding of a “process” and ignore the struggles assembling an offense, the slow nature of the build and what were largely self inflicted cap issues last year? 

By “we” I include myself and importantly the fan signing the paychecks in Pegula. It’ll be an interesting dynamic to keep an eye on. Especially if Allen looks good but we remain uneven with the offensive talent. Hopefully they’ve nailed it and are both unlike Rex AND good.

There is definitely something in this - though in my case I have the additional inbuilt bias in that Beane and (other than all the God stuff) McDermott are much more my type of personalities in the first place. 

11 hours ago, mrags said:

Nope. But you could definitely find him at El Canelo eating his favorite Mexican in the McKinley plaza. Saw him there at least 2 times myself. The staff there said he was in all the time. Shocking since his stomach procedure he could prolly only eat like 2 chips and a spoon full of Guacamole 

In one of those touching Ryan Bro moments, he had it removed as a show of solidarity after Rob had a complication with his own Lap Band... bring on the burritos!!

9 hours ago, Bills fan in 561 said:

Once considered the screen name Dreamcrusher but went with BADOLBILZ....

You can be realistic but at the same time imagine a better future.   I'm hoping for the best like everyone else.

But the time to look back and appreciate events of organizational incompetence that lead to the wonderful present is when you are hoisting the Lombardi..........not when you are coming off a 6-10 season.:lol:   

That's a symptom of Battered Bills Fan Syndrome right there.    Being so eager to be satisfied that you are giving credit for things not even accomplished.

I get it though..........what we have been subjected to as a fan base for the past 20 years is unnatural to the sport........you are supposed to have some balance.......periods of success where you can feel a justified appreciation for the product that's being put on the field.   We haven't had that for a generation.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Points 1 and 2 are what they are but I think point  3 is what made her your ex.  Have you considered how it made her feel knowing about your Jimmy G fantasies?  Keep that stuff to yourself dude.

14 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

You can be realistic but at the same time imagine a better future.   I'm hoping for the best like everyone else.

But the time to look back and appreciate events of organizational incompetence that lead to the wonderful present is when you are hoisting the Lombardi..........not when you are coming off a 6-10 season.:lol:   

That's a symptom of Battered Bills Fan Syndrome right there.    Being so eager to be satisfied that you are giving credit for things not even accomplished.

I get it though..........what we have been subjected to as a fan base for the past 20 years is unnatural to the sport........you are supposed to have some balance.......periods of success where you can feel a justified appreciation for the product that's being put on the field.   We haven't had that for a generation.

The psychology of it all really is fascinating at times.

A solid third to half of the fanbase lives with “hope rewarded” amounting to 2 wild card games - the music city debacle and a 10-3 mess.  And the remainder know success as being the butt of jokes for being the team that couldn’t win the big game. Our pinnacle has a major element of rationalizing losses for greatness (which yea it was a great team). 

When you step back from being a bills fan and just look at the idea of being a fan of a franchise with this history...it’s really something.

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Ed Reed?? Come on.  Dude had a cup of coffee in Buffalo.  Dead in the water since.  Rex did him a HUGE solid by tossing him a coaching job he had no business getting.

And what a bitter cup of coffee it was.

4 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

The psychology of it all really is fascinating at times.

A solid third to half of the fanbase lives with “hope rewarded” amounting to 2 wild card games - the music city debacle and a 10-3 mess.  And the remainder know success as being the butt of jokes for being the team that couldn’t win the big game. Our pinnacle has a major element of rationalizing losses for greatness (which yea it was a great team). 

When you step back from being a bills fan and just look at the idea of being a fan of a franchise with this history...it’s really something.

Great post!

The fascinating part imo is how we Bills Fans employ different coping mechanisms.

I tend to keep my expectations low and rejoice when they don't draft first round defensive backs or running backs. The last 2 drafts may or may not work out, but at least they put us on a path where it will be possible to win games.

Keeping my expectations low helps to prevent me getting as angry as I used to.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I want to believe Ed when he says he tried to help simplify things, but no one listened. The defensive personnel we had when Rex took over played lights out under a simpler scheme under Schwartz. Rex came in and tried to change everything about the defense. That is on Pegula for not noticing this would happen, but Rex should have adjusted. My comments upon the hiring was the Jets were not disciplined under Rex and he only ran 1 style of defense. When he tried to adjust, somewhat, he showed he was a 1 trick pony who couldn't adjust. If Rex took over a crap defense, that would be 1 thing but he took over a good/great d and wrecked it. Ed came in thinking he could help and feels he wasn't taken seriously. I can see this happening when you have a strong personality like Rex and/or Rob. Heck, Rob blamed everyone but himself for the Saints and Cowboys defensive performances (or lack of). Do you think Rob was going to yield to a rookie assistant coach on advise that was contrary to his style? I don't see how Reed couldn't contribute to a staff in some way. If our safety group wasn't as solid and a veteran group, I wouldn't mind him as a special assistant. He would definitely help a young group of safeties learn how to be NFL players.