Interesting; Ed Reeds comments about Wrecks & Aj Williams and Jerry Hughes comments

http://billsmafia.com/2019/05/10/ed-reed-shines-light-why-rex-ryan-defense-failed-in-buffalo/

“Love the city of Buffalo. I’m going to come back and visit sometime. It was a great time. We didn’t have the staff to make Buffalo successful as I thought we could have. I thought we had a great team collectively, but it was a matter of the coaching staff being a cohesive group.”

“I’m learning a lot about coaching in the NFL. I played for 12 years in this league. I was known as a ‘GOAT’ and don’t get any respect from coaches that just coach a game. There’s a lot of stuff in the world that has rubbed off on the NFL in business and the way they run it – hiring people that are not even qualified.”

“That’s the mind-boggling to me. I know about coaches pride and all of that stuff, egos and everything – but I just can’t believe that you wouldn’t want players on your staff that played the game. They can help your players because when I was in Buffalo – and you know all the mistakes we were having – that was communication issues.”

“I played the game so I was there (presumably he means in Buffalo) to try to help simplify things but my suggestions were never taken – so it was very frustrating for me very early in my coaching career when your opinion is not taken seriously.”

Edited by Reed83HOF
  • Thank you (+1) 3

I'm kinda torn on this. It's clear that Reed has support on his stance that he got a raw deal in Buffalo. On the other hand, publicly throwing people under the bus(even Ryan) is probably not a great look. Reed's motive is obviously another gig. Not sure this helps his cause.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

The easy response is pile on Rex and rob. And they deserve it.

but I wonder if Ed reed was a little bit of a problem too. 

Curious why you wonder that. Because Reed didn't respect non-player coaches? Something else?

9 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Curious why you wonder that. Because Reed didn't respect non-player coaches? Something else?

On a surface level we see an assistant position coach in his first year coaching not respecting the guys that brought him in and a pair of highly emotional players siding with him and one of them noting their many meetings on the side.

In 2016 being a mess of disorganization and distrust- do you think a young HOF player turned coach may have at times undermined those above him thinking he deserved to be more of a chief and less of an Indian? 

Im in no way absolving Rex or Rob but maybe the revelation here is a new layer of dysfunction not just confirmation of what we knew previously.

Edited by NoSaint
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

The easy response is pile on Rex and rob. And they deserve it.

but I wonder if Ed reed was a little bit of a problem too. 

Well sure, the first thing he did was draw a line between him and the other coaches.  And we weren't privvy to his communication style, which can make all the difference.  

But, as a fan afforded a glimpse of the truth behind the dysfunction, interviews like Ed's are a real treat.

10 minutes ago, Josh "Real Deal" Allen said:

Rex being gone before 5 o'clock was a big problem!

He needed to hit Chestnut Ridge Park to take pictures of his wife's feet during the sunset hours for the perfect look.The woman has pretty toes..no bunions..full rainbow of polishes...

Don't act like you don't enjoy looking at pictures like that...

Something tells me coach McD has no interest in his wife's feet?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

1 minute ago, Misterbluesky said:

He needed to hit Chestnut Ridge Park to take pictures of his wife's feet during the sunset hours for the perfect look.The woman has pretty toes..no bunions..full rainbow of polishes...

Don't act like you don't enjoy looking at pictures like that...

Something tells me coach McD has no interest in his wife's feet?

rex ryan toe fetish.png

• Haha (+1) 4

1 minute ago, NoSaint said:

On a surface level we see an assistant position coach in his first year coaching not respecting the guys that brought him in and a pair of highly emotional players siding with him and one of them noting their many meetings on the side.

In 2016 being a mess of disorganization and distrust- do you think a young HOF player turned coach may have at times undermined those above him thinking he deserved to be more of a chief and less of an Indian? 

Thanks, good points, wasn't challenging you. 

On top of that Reed played for Rex, Rex brought him to Buffalo and three years later he's calling out Rex's staff when he hasn't had a coaching job since. Not a good look.

Ed Reed?? Come on.  Dude had a cup of coffee in Buffalo.  Dead in the water since.  Rex did him a HUGE solid by tossing him a coaching job he had no business getting.

Edited by Mr. WEO
  • Haha (+1) 1

It all starts at the top: Rex was clearly a no-show and it filtered down. 

Running a D that was as notoriously complex as his he should have been a permanent fixture at OBD. Instead, he knew he had a guaranteed contract and rode the chicken wing train. 

Thank God he’s gone and that the Pegula’s recognized their mistake. 

• Like (+1) 1

It's a who ya know not a what ya know business.  Hot coaches get everyone of their coaches jobs.  In reality great players create just as many hot coaches. Every Qb coach Farve had I believe became a head coach.

7 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

It all starts at the top: Rex was clearly a no-show and it filtered down. 

Running a D that was as notoriously complex as his he should have been a permanent fixture at OBD. Instead, he knew he had a guaranteed contract and rode the chicken wing train. 

Thank God he’s gone and that the Pegula’s recognized their mistake. 

This is why I think guaranteed contracts are a bad thing.  A coach should get paid for one year off (if necessary) and that is it.  If you were competent it should allow you to be able to find a job next year since you are paid year you are job hunting and are available to interview before coaches are let go after end of season.

Rex was the biggest mistake in that time. They should have hired Schwartz because he had that defense on point. If he makes a strong OC hire then that team does better. Then again, we wouldn't be the team on the rise we are now. So :censored: you Rex and thanks at the same time I guess. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

Rex being there before 5 o'clock wasn't all that good either.

Nope. But you could definitely find him at El Canelo eating his favorite Mexican in the McKinley plaza. Saw him there at least 2 times myself. The staff there said he was in all the time. Shocking since his stomach procedure he could prolly only eat like 2 chips and a spoon full of Guacamole 

33 minutes ago, H2o said:

Rex was the biggest mistake in that time. They should have hired Schwartz because he had that defense on point. If he makes a strong OC hire then that team does better. Then again, we wouldn't be the team on the rise we are now. So :censored: you Rex and thanks at the same time I guess. 

Why not?   They might be better now.    I don't have a lot of love for Schwartz as a HC but it's not like the current team is built around top 5 picks now.

Or if they had hired Anthony Lynn instead of McDermott they might have Patrick Mahomes playing in a Chargers-like offense.   The job Lynn has done taking over a previously struggling and suddenly uprooted Chargers franchise has been impressive to the point of incredible(including stomping the dogsh*t out of McDermott twice).

The Bills are where they are and we gotta' hope for the best.......but it's not like a series of "happy accidents" has them on the brink of dominance.   The struggle is still pretty real.

• Like (+1) 7

This was discussed awhile ago already after the inteview. But the Aaron Williams tweets and Hughes stuff is new.

Ultimately we all knew the problem at the time and this is all just confirmation. Rex Ryan was unwilling to change his scheme to fit the players, and he was unwilling to work with his players and coaches to increase effectiveness. It was his way and no other option. He also got way too complicated for the players to execute on the field (even Ed Reed confirmed this saying they needed to simplify their on-field communication and he was ignored).

All in all, more condemnation for Rex.